“Absolute rubbish, don't bother.” 1 of 5 stars

Embudu Village
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Embudu Island   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Embudu
Perth, Australia
“Absolute rubbish, don't bother.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

Been to 3 different islands within the Maldives, and this is by far the worst. Came for a day trip to see if it would be worth coming back for longer, but I definitely won't be back. A relaxing day was quickly turned in to a bureaucratic storm by the staff who seem to love their pointless rules and procedures, chatting behind the bar to their colleagues while paying customers wait for them to finish chatting so that they can be served, and then speak rudely to their customers. It is the polar opposite of Chaaya Island which is fantastic in every way and highly recommended.

To add to that, the beaches are not overly extensive, the facilities clearly aged/not well maintained and the lunch was somewhat limited.

Some examples:
1. I asked reception if I could borrow a beach towel for use on their beach. "No we don't provide beach towels". What? An island resort which advertises beaches but doesn't supply beach towels? Right.

2. Went to have some lunch, was told that we could not sit indoors due to tables indoors being reserved for guests only (I.e. not day trippers). So, we were the only people sitting outdoors while there were dozens of free tables indoors. Not a big deal, but felt awkward being segregated when it seemed we didn't need to be.

3. Bar attendant was about as useful as a one legged man at kicking competition when it came to ordering a counter meal and paying for it. Too busy chatting to his friends.

Don't forget to pack some patience and scissors to cut through their imposed bureaucracy. I've renamed it Inconvenience Village.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cheltenham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed in a superior bungalow for 2 weeks end November/December small beach in front with great views, further along not much beach but there is a larger section next to the sandbank.
Room cleaned twice a day, air-con, tea and coffee, plenty of storage and no TV - thank goodness. Staff great and very frriendly a very tradiional island and this is our 5th island and it
is not a Reethi or Vilamendhoo but you get what you pay for and more. Very little night life, limited entertainment and very few Brtitish we were the only 2 brits for the first week, but we go for the peace and quiet and seclusion you get in the Maldives. Nice bar area with decking to sit and watch the beautiful sunsets every evening.

Snorkeling great, lots to see, small reef sharks, barracuda, turtles, thousands of fussiliers, plenty of moray, jacks, endless amount to be seen, plus the added bonus of a beautiful coral garden.

My husband is a diver he went on house reef, boat dives and night dive highly recommends the night dive off the drop off on the island, the reef just came to life, dive centre run by Sven, very informative of the local dive areas couldnt fault the centre at all, especially Reece who helped him out with his fins as he had trouble with his.

Food basic but you are not on a five star island always a good choice and Moosa our waiter was a complete gentleman, had a chat with us but not to intrusive and he always had our drinks ready for us, thank you Moosa for making us welcome.

All in all great value for what you pay but wouldnt go back only reason is there are other islands we want to see.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Let me start off by saying that it's all about your expectations. I booked this resort through my travel agency in combination with a dive safari, so I wasn't really thinking what a budget resort in the Maldives actually means. If I did, I would have not been disappointed at all. Secondly, I would definitely recommend this resort and this is why:

- the staff were very nice
- the superior rooms are very good. The size is good (~25 sqm, with a large ensuite bathroom) and simple but comfortable, with aircon, ceiling fan, fridge and closet. No TV. My room (no.77) had a small beach right in front of my door. I don't know what the exact set-up of the rooms are, but perhaps the standard rooms are in the middle surrounded by the superior rooms on the beach front.
- there's housekeeping twice a day
- the buffets are excellent
- the resort looks well taken care off; the grounds are sweeped daily, the beach is clean (although a little narrow), there's a large bird cage next to the reception and an herb garden which adds to the tropical atmosphere, the bar has a nice beach deck, excellent for watching the sun set
- it's very quiet. I have not seen young children (<10 yrs). I stayed for 4 days and have not experienced a theme night with loud cheesy music late into the night.

For completeness sake, I will also list the reasons why this is a budget resort:
- you get 2 threadbare towels per day, which are changed daily
- you have to share a table with other dinner guests in the dining area
- there are no bathroom amenities except for a bar of soap, although there's a hair dryer
- you pay for the wifi per 30min

So if you are looking for a true Maldivian experience without breaking the bank, Embudu Village would be a good option.

Room Tip: For a little extra, go for a superior room with a beach front view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We have a fantasic stay at Embudu.

We have stayed at two other Maldives resorts (Filitheyo and Biyadhoo) and our visit to Embudu was our summer 2012 treat. We chose this Island mainly due to price, run through Thomson and it was recommended as having a house reef.

We stayed in a superior room and they all seemed to have sea views, they were recently refurbished and the room had everything we needed. The walls were a little thin so if you had noisy neighbours it would have been annoying but luckily we didn’t.

This island is smaller than the other islands we stayed on and seemed to be more populated. Although this wasn’t a big issue.

With the food, I think you get what you pay for. There was certainly lots of choice and some days were better than others. Overall I think the food was good and certainly better than our stay at Biyadhoo.

Dive centre was good although lacked trips to interesting dive sites, the house reef was fantastic and probably better than Fithitheyo and Biyadhoo. We saw sharks, rays, turtles, morays, napoleon all from snorkelling.

Boat trip from the airport was short as it is the second closest island to Male, this meant there was quite a bit of air and sea traffic past the island but again not a big issue.

Population on the island were older than other islands and less honeymoon couples. There was very little evening entertainment and the whole vibe was very quiet (which we quite enjoyed) although could have been improved with a live band occasionally.

We were full board basis and I think the upgrade to all inclusive was $35 pppn. We were not big drinkers so managed to stay well within this but the drinks were relatively expensive. Beers were 65Mr for 400ml spirits were Mr58 and spites 40Mr all before 6% tax and 10% service charge.

Room Tip: Superior, new rooms available from Oct 2012
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
vienna
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

We stayed for 2 weeks in the Embudu village resort. When we booked the resort was considerably cheaper than other resorts so we were not quite sure what to expect. We were pleasantly surprised, the staff were friendly and attentive, the food was amazing, with excellent choice and a different theme each night. The house reef did not disappoint with amazing fish and the resort was flanked by majestic eagle rays. The only downside was that the bed was hard and slightly uncomfortable, I was not the only one to find this. A potential downside is that unless you are in a family you seem to get seated with other people for meals, this was not a problem for us as we got on really well with the couple at our table, so much so we are still in touch. My partner and I loved our stay and will cherish the memories for a long time.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Bangkok
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

My family and I have visited Maldives 4 times and found Embudu to be the friendliest island among Rannalhi, Ranveli, and Biyadhoo. These 3 islands are still above par but Embudu stands out! The guests, mainly from German, are very friendly and all the staffs there are very friendly too! When I was walking pass a staff talking on the cellphone, I was surprised that he hold off the phone to greet me as I walk pass him. They really did a great job!

Boat transfer: Waited at the airport only for a short while and was on the way to the island. During good weather, it took about 45 minutes to get to the island.

Rooms: Request one of the newer rooms and it was good! air con worked perfectly, the new bathroom is very spacious and everything worked perfectly! Room was cleaned once a day compare to twice per day on other islands. the bed is comfortable and sleep quality is good.

Construction: The island is rennovating rooms on the south side of the island and there is constant construction going on. However, there was no inconvienence for us~

Meals: Very good buffet food! I had the best steak buffet I've ever had! Overall, Food quality is very good! No repeat food for 5 days.

House reef: Water visibility was not as good as my previous trips but it might be because of the season. Comparing to the house reef of other islands I've been to, the house reef is not the top. There were alot more fishes in Rannalhi and Ranveli. However, this house reef is still worth going to! I saw 1 eagle ray and snorkel with a Napoleon for 15 mins! It was a great experience! But I got jellyfish sting on my face when snorkeling and I couldn't see it to avoid it.

Dive center: Very friendly and professional staffs at Diverland! I did 4 dives and it was a great experience. I completed my 100th Dive there and the staff was so great that they took underwater photos for me and gave me a T-shirt as gift.

Price: This is the best value island among the 4 islands I've visited.

In conclusion, I would definately visit again!

Room Tip: Rooms 50 and above are newly rennovated rooms!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

My sister and I returned again to our favourite Island. The newly updated cottages are lovely, and the chairs on the verandah are very comfortable to sit and watch the water, boats going by, snorkelers swimming by the reef. Buffet meals always provided with us with a choice of enjoyable food, and we especially enjoyed the Special Dinner of Lobster served once a week out in the Garden area, for a small extra fee it is so worth it. An excellent choice of International wines, including Australian and New Zealand. We snorkeled daily, absolutely brilliant, and also went on a snorkeling trip which was great. A major item is the staff, they are just so nice, helpful, polite, things like that make a big difference to your enjoyment, Embudu is not an Expensive 1st Class Island, but for us it the Best, and we have been to others which are nice but a lot more expensive and we haven't enjoyed them as much as we do at Embudu. We find Embudu more peaceful, after a year of racing around in the daily chaos it is just wonderful to get to this Island where you can relax, be looked after by the helpful staff, and really have a wonderful holiday. The water is just great, you can walk , swim, snorkel in shallow water and see the brilliant coloured fish, or go into deep water to snorkel just outside the reef, or dive as the Diverland Boats and Instructors know the best places to take you in their boats.
We are already saving up for our next visit !
Thank you so much all Staff at Embudu, you are so nice it is lovely.

Room Tip: On this small Island, all rooms are great to be in.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Embudu Village? Share your experiences!