We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Isle
Fishermen's Wharf Resort and Toucan's Bar & Restaurant
You added Fishermen's Wharf Resort and Toucan's Bar & Restaurant to your Saves list
5101 Whistle Road, PO Box 62, Isle, MN 56342   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Isle
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Dogs and Drunks”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

We stayed at Fisherman's Wharf resort in the fishhouse area. While the fishhouse arrangement is nice, the atmosphere is terrible. There are dogs running loose everywhere....you have to watch where you walk so you don't step in something. The "all dogs must be on leashes" sign is completely ignored by the management; complaints are not welcome. The other issue is that it's a mecca of drunks. It is not a family friendly environment.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

Shanty propane tanks were kept full, generator never ran out of gas. But that was expected. What i did not expect was to be ice fishing in 10 ft of water in late January. While watching the masses go to deep water. This was our first trip to MN ice fishing we we told we were right on the fish. 7 lines in the water for 48 hours strait, 1 perch caught. Hell, we saw more crawdads than fish! On the day we left, checkout was a less than satisfactory. We waited for 45 min while they were pulling the few shantys arround us to the deeper water. It kinda feels like they were taking our money knowing our fishing success would be minimal. They just were filling the spot because it was there. Everything else about the place is great. They just lost focus of why people come there. To catch fish!

• Stayed January 2012
Fairmont, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

Had a blast catching fish!. The launch was great fun and we caught big fish.
Toucans has good food at a good price.
The "motel" was OK. Outside was run down. Room was very small....could not fit a bedside table in between the two full size beds. Beds were comfortable. For the most part it was clean. It was fine for our two night stay but would not have stayed any longer. No closet or hangers. No coffeemaker . Tiny bathroom with shower with no shelf to put shower supplies. For a little more money could get a lot more of a room somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
WharfIsle_MN, Owner at Fishermen's Wharf Resort and Toucan's Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thanks for the review! We restocked the hangers in the rooms and added a metal hanging shelf in the shower for soaps & such. Coffee is available at our on site restaurant/bar so we haven't added coffeemakers yet.

~ Lori Stenvold, Owner
Fishermen's Wharf Resort
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

I was attending a family reunion in McGrath from out of town and I found this place nearby. I say "place" as it was not a motel but an Rv/ fish house area with a 4 unit motel tucked in amongst them. It was great! I stayed in M3 with my mother and aunt. The people at Tucan's restaurant and bar were all very friendly. The food was good also with many choices for breakfast, lunch and dinner ($2-$10). The "office" was a bit hard to find as it is in the restaraunt/bar and not at the beginning of the property but down the road and then to the left. It didn't help that there was a downpour when I got there! The one complaint with the room was it smelled musty. You must remember that this is not Taj Mahal though. There is more of a camping atmosphere then luxury here. There were two double beds in the room, a small fridge, microwave and TV. We were also able to set up a single sized army cot against the wall with enough space to get to the bathroom. The bathroom was small and the shower looked like an adventure as it was just a pipe sticking out of the wall. The shower I took though was refreshing and did the job. The windows open so we were able to get a nice breeze through the place.
It looked like there were a lot of activities to do and there was always something going on. There were Texas Holdem tournaments and even one just for the ladies, fishing of course, a boat for water tours, kids activities and so on.
It seemed like the place where people come back to every year. Some places looked pretty permanent while some looked mobile. At night there were many people out and about or just sitting on their porches listening to music and drinking a beer. My aunt and I found many agates along their gravel road/driveway.
You can get a newspaper out of the box outside Toucans and also ice for a price.
The only other con I can think of is there was a crack in the toilet seat but my butt wasn't too big so I never got pinched.
For a great sunset view, take a right onto the main road from this place, pass the turn for 18 and go about another 3-4 miles until you see the sign for the scenic overlook which will be on your right. There is also a gas station a few miles down the road from the overlook. You will find it by the two HUGE fish statues displayed on pig poles near the road.
I will come back to this place if i am ever in the area again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Mpls
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2010

My husband and I stayed in a ice cabin out on the lake. The cabin was amazing, it was roomy, clean and was way more than we imagined. It had a microwave, a bathroom, a t.v. that you can connect your underwater fish cam to, a large table and chairs, nice big windows, rattle reels, adjustable thermostat, nice clean beds (bring your own linen). I could go on and on. The ice house manager took the time to find the spot the cabin was on, he made sure we had his cell number if we needed anything.
The restaurant is by far the best food on the lake and it is very fairly priced! After having one meal there it was pointless to go anywhere else! The chef came out and chatted with us, it turns out he has fed many famous people. He is now living at Mille Lacs and enjoying a simpler life.
The owners Daron and Lori are amazing, they have rebuilt this resort to be the best on the lake. They want everything to be perfect. They also have an awesome staff who love their jobs!
I also stayed at the motel one night in the sumer time, it is very clean and basic and it serves its purpose well.
The Wharf also has the best fishing launch on the lake, I haven't been on the newest one yet, but can't wait to get a group of friends together to go this summer. It was custom built for and by the Wharf crew. There is awesome Muskie fishing right in front of the resort, I also had the chance to have my picture taken with 29 and 28 in Walleyes right off of Doe island.This IS the place to stay, eat and fish on Mille Lacs.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Midwest USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2008

I spent many summers of my childhood at Lake Mille Lacs and I can tell you it's a gorgeous place to vacation. First and foremost it is a place to experience great fishing. There are a few high-dollar resorts who cater to those who really don't want to rough it, but many of the resorts, cabins, motels are nice, clean, no-frills establishments catering to fishermen. We stayed at Fisherman's Wharf this past summer and reserved a place for our camper. The staff at the Wharf is terrific. They are so friendly and accomodating. We were there 4 days and by the time we left we felt like they were good friends. Since we have a pop-up camper we used their shower facilities and they were very nice and clean. Their restaurant serves a huge, hearty breakfast that was enough to get us through the day and was reasonably priced. They helped us with any request we had...big or small. We went out on a launch- very much worth the money- at $25.00 per person I believe. It was one of the most memorable times of my life. Highly recommended. They know where the fish are and they put you over them. Our 10 yr old son caught a fish that was 1/4 inch shy of being trophy fish. Even if you don't want to fish it's gorgeous on the lake, you bring your beverages, they grill burgers and play great tunes. The only thing I would caution visitors about Fisherman's Wharf is that if you're going as a family and are looking for quiet, quality time....reserve your time Sunday through Wednesday because by Thursday the partiers start rolling in and I mean things get loud and rowdy. It is located on Big Point and is an easy drive to the town of Isle. We reserved our spot in June for our vacation in mid-July but they were very full and we were there mid-week. Don't wait too long and if you want a weekend you'll want to plan further ahead.

• Liked — They were so friendly and accomodating.
  • Disliked — Incoming party crowd
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Littleton, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2008

This is a great little resort. I would definitely recommend this place if you are in need of a place to stay in the Mille Lacs area.

The motel room was small and pretty clean. All except the shower which was pretty groody. My friend was pissed that it didn't have a hair dryer or a full length mirror... but you are at the lake, so it didn't really bother me at all!!! The beds could have used some sort of mattress pad since all there was between you and the mattress was a sheet and it kept sliding around. But the sheets appeared to be really cleaned and ironed. Nice TV and DVD player in the room. We couldn't get the cable to work the second night we were there though. Room also included a small mini fridge and a newer microwave. Very nice! Two windows with screens that opened. And also a screen door with a small porch out front.

The restaurant/bar was newer and very clean. We signed up for a lunch trip. The guide was knowledgeable and even cleaned and filleted our fish when we got back to shore. The next day the cook fried it up for us. Very very tasty! Doesn't get much fresher than that.

I would stay here again and recommend this to other travelers that are looking for a nice/clean place to stay but who aren't going to be dissapointed that it's not the embassy suites.

• Liked — The staff/ service was unbeatbale! Great folks up there for sure!
  • Disliked — The shower was kind of groody.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Fishermen's Wharf Resort and Toucan's Bar & Restaurant? Share your experiences!