“Poor” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Golden Palm Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chapel St. Leonards
Golden Palm Resort
You added Golden Palm Resort to your Saves list
South Road, Chapel St. Leonards PE24 5TR, England   |
Derby, United Kingdom
“Poor”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Never again, please if you have an ounce of self worth or a brain do NOT think of going there. The site is a complete out of date dump. We sat on the park as our kids wanted to go and play for a while, I have never heard such foul and abusive children in all my life, it was that bad we had to take our own kids away and back to the caravan. At the end of the holiday you have to drop the keys back at reception however don't expect a quick get away as there is no drop box so you have to wait until reception is open, you would think they would have tackled this problem long ago!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Chris C, Manager at Golden Palm Resort, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Hi,

Sorry to hear you had such a negative experience with us during your stay.

I understand your frustration regarding checking out and although our reception does not open until 9am you are able to book an advance check out from 7am on the day of your departure.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Doncaster
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Stayed here for the bank holiday weekend with my grandparents (who are keen caravaners may I add) and overall we weren't impressed. The caravan site is a bit scruffy and no where near as well kept as other ones in the area. The caravan we stayed in was ok, nothing special, it didn't have hardly any utensils in like other caravans have as standard - no glasses, cups etc. They did have cutlery but you wouldn't let your worst enemy eat using them because they were that horrible. Luckily we brought our own. The oven / cooker didn't work properly, it took about 2 hours to cook something that should've took 20 minutes! The fridge was filthy inside. By the time we left on the last day the caravan actually looked cleaner than when we first arrived - even on the inspection on the last day the staff member commented on how clean we had left it. The good points to the site is that it's in a good location, the club tropicana is a good night out, the Gutterband were on bank holiday sunday while we were there - they were fantastic - but you need to book a VIP table to enjoy the night properly which again costs more money. Would return to Chapel but definitely not on this site.

Hi,

I am sorry to hear you had problems with your accommodation during your break with us, if you had reported these problems at reception we would have been able to investigate your concerns and would have tried our best to rectify them for you.

It is great to hear you enjoyed our entertainment, the Gutter Band are regular visitors to Club Tropicana and always put on an excellent show.

We have just embarked on a major investment programme on our park to modernise our accommodation and facilities over the coming years, I hope we get the chance to welcome you back to the Golden Palm Resort at some point in the future to see how things have changed.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My wife and I came down for a weekend break the site is not what I expected the caravan was ok but where we were at the back that's not for me
there is a camp site in the middle of 2 static caravan sites so coming back from the club if you didn't find the bridge you had no choice but to walk across the camping site where you heard all types of noise
the club had good entertainment all night but familys got told to leave at 7.30pm and go to the blue room
on the Saturday the 17th aug we paid for a ticket to see a singer come on called roy hemmings he decided to show at 11.20pm
I couldn't believe it I left in the end as I was so tired im used to going to bed at 10.00pm because I have 4 kids and I like to get up early I didn't see the end so I cant tell you what time it finished
I thought it was a family club not a night club and also the tickets did not have the time on them when he was supposed to come on they need to put another building that does bingo and where familys can enjoy their holiday they seem to get enough money not everyone wants to pay more money when arriving
as for the buses if you can help it don't catch one on a Saturday I think its extremely bad service we went to ingoldmells in the morning after we had done there we pulled away to go to Skegness we ended up waiting 40mins for 1 on the way back it took that long I lost count we went into chapel at the terminus when we pulled away there we waited 35mins for a bus that never came so I started walking and the bus didn't even pass us walking down to site as we got back there were loads of people waiting for the bus to ingoldmells or that way there was no hope
if that was our local buses they would of got more buses on the road drove empty to pick them up at terminus so don't expect much

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi,

Thank you for your valued comments regarding our Holiday Park, I have noted your comments regarding our show bar and passed them onto the relevant Manager's.

As a large Holiday Park we hire holiday caravans but we do also allow our caravan owner's to hire out their own caravan's too, it appears you had booked one of these private holiday homes due to the location of the caravan at the rear of our park.

When booking direct with the park we are able to offer you a location closer to the main entertainment complex, you would also find all facility passes included with your holiday so no additional tickets would be required.

I hope we get the chance to welcome you back to The Golden Palm Resort at some point in the future.

Harlow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

the booking process and checking in process was fine. Staff were friendly and helpful. We were in a tent and the pitch was fine for our rather large tent. You have to pay a £20 deposit for the toilet block key (which was quite good but with only 3 shower cubicles there could be a wait at rush hour) which you get back at the end of your stay. There is a laundrette on site, a small amusements, the pool (£3.50 per person - even spectators), mini golf across the road, the club Tropicana (which is reasonably priced), a chip shop, Chinese, pizza place etc etc. There is also a good play park for children. So in all it is well equipped as far as sites go so why do I not know what to make of the site? The play park is a little way from the touring park and there are no footpaths so my children had to walk along the roads to get there. Why is that an issue? The large volume of traffic and the excessive speed at which many cars were driven. Even site staff drove faster than I deemed sensible. Older children seemed to swarm around the play park and spent much time smoking and swearing (not ideal place for my 7 yr olds to play). Because the site is so big, it loses any semblance of atmosphere. The pool has 2 hour sessions and can only cater limited people so there are times when you go and the pool is full so you get turned away. It isn't a bad pool though. The club is fine, a little dated, but OK for the little ones with a soft play area and disco area at the back. Entertainment was standard fare and OK to while an evening away and the drinks were sensibly priced. Pint and a half of Stella 4 was 4 quid. The site is much more set up for static caravans than tents but the touring area as fine. So although the site has nothing to say "don't ever go there", it also, in my opinion has nothing to say "you have to go there". I personally prefer smaller less commercial sites and that's probably why I can't make my mind up. In summary, it is a fine site and well equipped but to my mind the traffic, the slightly restricted toilet block and lack of atmosphere on the site let it down. If you're a fan of smaller more sociable sites then this isn't the place for you but if you want an all in site then it might be the one

Hi Sean,

Thank you for your valued comments regarding your holiday with us.

I have noted your comments regarding our touring and camping park, we have just embarked on a major investment plan on our park which will see many improvements and new additions over the next few seasons.

We starting to re-lay out our touring park with additional drainage, roads and fencing to offer a little more privacy. We are also adding and new play area and a multi use games area which will be adjacent to the touring park offering easier access for your children to play. Work is soon set to start on these new facilities and will be followed in the next 12 months with tennis courts.

I hope we get the chance to welcome you back to the Golden Palm Resort at some point in the future to see how things have moved on.

Coventry, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Just had a week at Golden Palm site...We hired a private owned van which I have no problem with at all. The problem is the management of the site and the staff.
First we were told that book in was from 2pm,,,we queued up for the key and was then told " oh dear your key not here cleaner must still have it come back at 3pm. I asked why when the book in time was 2pm and it was now 2.20pm...the reply was well we are very busy and the cleaners not finished yet....so why say 2pm when they clearly cannot be ready by then. Been on a lot of caravan sites over the years when my own children were young and never ever had this problem.
Next we were told because you have rented a private van you will have to pay to use the club and the pool ...!!! £180..........I will come back to this later.
We paid for the use of the club only to find out that children were only allowed in the main room until 9pm and then were told anyone under 14 had to go to the area at the side of the main room..Separated by a mitre high wooden divider. This so called family area resembled a bad motorway cafe with chipped Formica tables and bad dinning room chairs. There was no dance floor for the kids and hardly enough room to get a pushchair between them, there was a screen on the wall if you wanted to see what was on stage in the so called main room. There was one bar open in the family side so resulting in a long queue, and bar staff standing around in the other room.
Right the swimming pool...I paid £63 for a family of 6 four day pass which I was told you have to use consecutively, Why I asked,,,Answer because we have no way of keeping a check on how many times you have used it. clearly never heard of a computer or even a tic box on your pass. I have never had to pay to use the pool on any caravan site I have used whether it be private rental or other wise...the pool only opened in 2 hour sessions and only allowed 150 people in at a time, so to be sure you got in you needed to queue up about half an hour before.
Overall totally mismanaged site with surely reception staff.
This site is definitely not family friendly and if you rent privately all I can say is Good Luck.

Hi,

Thank you for your comments regarding your holiday on our park.

I would like to stress that although we do own and manage a large holiday hire fleet of caravans we do also allow our caravan owners to hire out their own caravans.

As mentioned in your review you did book one of these private hire caravans. I must point out that we do not manage the cleaning or maintenance of these caravans, your issues with the stated check in time and key collection must be brought up with the caravan owner as they would have made private arrangements.

When booking direct with the park we ensure your keys are available at the stated check in time, we do also include all your facility passes.

I hope we get the chance to welcome you back to The Golden Palm Resort in one of our holiday caravans.

barnsley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

just returned home from a week at golden palm.Its the first time we have been in 20 years and we thought we would take our 2 year old grand-daughter.The caravan was spotless as was the site.There are lots of reasonably priced places to eat within walking distance of the Golden Palm.The entertainment in the club Tropicana was good for both adults and children.If you want proper seaside fish and chips go to Kings fish and chips on South Road ,they were lovely.We will be returning in 2 weeks time for a long weekend.

Hi,

Thank you for your valued comments regarding your holiday at The Golden Palm Resort.

It is great to hear you had such a good time staying with us. I am glad to see you got the chance to use our onsite facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you back at some point in the future.

Droitwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Been going here with family since I was little and this year I took a friend down with me great park great entertainment in the club tropicana. And I love the swimming pool I have always loved Skegness and will be coming to the park for years to come

• Stayed May 2013
Hi,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding holidaying with us at The Golden Palm Resort.

It is always great to hear from a regular holiday maker and thank you for introducing a friend to our park.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Golden Palm Resort in the coming years.

Holiday Letting & Touring Manager

Been to Golden Palm Resort? Share your experiences!