“Very Nice Staff, Clean hotel great service! =)” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Northern Inn

Grand Northern Inn
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hinckley
Grand Northern Inn
You added Grand Northern Inn to your Saves list
604 Weber Avenue, Hinckley, MN 55037 (Formerly Holiday Inn Express)   |
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Hinckley
Forest Lake, Minnesota, United States
“Very Nice Staff, Clean hotel great service! =)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

My bf and I stayed here last night Sunday April 14th/2013 . And had a very pleasant experience. The front desk staff, was warm and welcoming, right away, and greated you with a friendly smile. The rooms, were clean, and simple. The only compliant I have, is that i agree with other guest's who wrote, about the uncomfortable beds/pillows. Both were very uncomfortable, and woke up the next morning, with a very sore neck. Overall the prices are great! Normally for a standard room, I think it's about $45, I got the discount through the casino, because of my Birthday month, so the room was only $21.99. Can't go wrong, with that price! I just want to thank, all the staff for making our stay an enjoyable one. =)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

My son and I spent Saturday, December 1, 2012 at Hinckley, selecting the Grand Northern Inn as our lodging because it was the least expensive. I'd stayed there before, quite a few times and accepted it as adequate, although there have always been housekeeping issues. I wished we'd had a free room coupon, but for some reason as I've stated here before, Grand Casino just isn't rewarding their players like they used to. So, no weekend coupons for us. We coughed up the $59+tax - not bad for a Saturday! - and stayed.

We usually request a smoking room, but don't end up smoking alot. Sometimes if I'm done gaming I will want to watch TV and maybe have a cigarette. This room was like an ashtray. Smoke permeated everything and there was no attempt to air out/freshen. Super obvious and assaulting.

We went to go open the window, since there is a screen and a sliding window. WON'T OPEN. Is there really a high rate of 2nd floor suicide in Hinckley that you can't allow us to open the window for fresh air??? I was immediately claustrophobic. I went to turn on the a/c and it was the loudest jet engine I've ever heard, and then - my favorite - it shuts off when IT thinks you are cool enough. THANK YOU. This equipment is archaic - replace it - and please, in your rural setting of pine trees and having two floors, let us open the screened window!!!!!!!

I requested extra pillows, which were delivered to our room, thank you. These pillows had those annoying crunchy in-case-your-kid-pees-the-bed-plastic-pants pillow protectors. I removed because I can't sleep with them. The others were normally cased: WHY?

The bed was super hard, small, uncomfortable and with dated linens. Upgrades are so overdue. Going forward....are double beds even relevant anymore? In the early morning, I requested a late checkout. Don't know why, but Hinckley always has this thing about the latest they can do is 11:30. This time, Wynonna was in concert Sunday so the 11:30 was enforced and understandable.

The icing on the cake was the herd of elephants stampede as housekeepers barge up and down the hallways, not knocking - POUNDING - on doors, yelling "HOUSEKEEPING!". When they entered, they would pull out the hasp for the deadbolt to catch the doors and prevent it from closing and locking. So EVERY TIME they went in, and went out, BANG! Need more towels. BANG! Need to get vacuum. BANG! In EVERY ROOM, EVERY TIME, 3000 times. They were conversing LOUDLY in the hallway and I almost went out there to let them know that this is SO UNACCEPTABLE. I have worked in hospitality for 20 years. You invest in rubber doorstops, 1 per each cart. When you are cleaning that room, you prop the door open. No banging. Or......I don't know, don't slam the door because people are sleeping. This started by the way right at their arrival which I'm guessing was between 8 and 9.(was TRYING to sleep) Funny thing about casinos.....guests stay up late gambling sometimes. Maybe they want to sleep and not be disturbed like that. It's so totally rude and without any concern for guest service that I question the training by these supervisors and managers. How do they train staff to treat the in-room guest? Apparently, they don't care and I think I'm done with this property unless something changes. The walls are super thin, and between floors it is noisy. Don't stay on floor 1 if you can avoid it. You will be hearing every step taken by every person within an 8 room radius upstairs.
The front desk staff was ok. The shuttle service kinda sucks, so we drove over so we didn't have to wait for the shuttle which runs "about" every 20 to 30 minutes. Not a reliable window, really. Gaming was actually fun this time, but with super skimpy player's club "perks". Virtually nothing, but we played with our money and enjoyed some old favorite games.
We didn't have the continental breakfast this time, but have in the past and it's the typical carbfest, but I do love having the juice in the morning. Not sure if there is yogurt, but I think there might be. Nice touch.
With Mystic Lake and Black Bear as competition, I would think that HInckley would notice they do not stand alone in the Minnesota casino world. Far and away Mystic Lake has my vote, and therefore my loyal business. I mentioned this to the Grand Casino players club, and the person at the very top told me he hopes I enjoy Mystic. Kinda like, "don't let the door hit ya when you leave" sort of thing) I do enjoy my Mystic, thank you very much.
If you can, select the casino hotel, or Grand HInckley, which is sort of similar to Grand Northern but without the extent of issues I mentioned.
Try Mystic Lake, it's beautiful, and so is Black Bear.

Room Tip: Stay upstairs, toward the ends for the quietest rooms.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

While in Minnesota; I was driving from Hasting to Duluth with my two pet rabbits in the rental car. I remember passing Hinckley. When I arrived in Duluth on late Saturday night; I found that there was not one vacant hotel room in the whole city...not one...because of a festival going on. This hotel in Hinckley was referred to me and they confirmed by phone that there was a room available. I drove 70+ miles back south and took the room. There is a gambling casino and the hotel is affiliated with it. The staff and security were extremely friendly and gracious. One of my rabbits jumped off of the luggage cart and was walking down the hallway while I was putting my belongings in the room. The security cameras in the hallway picked it up on it.....a very comical situation! LOL The room was nice and I had no problems sleeping.
Hinckley had a major fire back in the 1890's, and over 400 people were tragically killed....one of the worst fires in US history. There is a memorial nearby to the victims. It was a very nice stay at a very nice and humble town. Please experience staying there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Grey Eagle, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

If you need a place to flop after gambling at the casino --this is your place. The room furnishings are sparce. This place really needs updating. The reception area is neat and clean and serves a small continental breakfast. The staff are nice and smile when they greet you. A newer movie theater is right across the street and runs just released movies. Lots of fast food places around.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

After hearing mixed reviews regarding the Grand Northern Inn we were pleasantly surprised to find more than adequate accommodations. The front desk personnel were pleasant, professional, and helpful (even gave us extra shampoo and coffee). We were impressed with the cleanliness of the rooms and common areas. Having stayed at both of Grand Casino's other properties we can say that this is really the best value for your money. Although nothing fancy, it did meet up to our discriminating taste. We have stayed all over the world and have come to know a good Inn when we see one.

Our only complaint would be that the pillows are the worst we have ever incountered! The five other couple checking out with us all expressed the same sentiments regarding the plastic, flat, hot, non-sleep inducing pillows. Please GNI....get new pillows! You would then be perfect!

The free breakfast had good variety and taste, our free shuttle was timely and courteous and our overall stay was better than expected. The lobby offered Wi-FI and big screen, and the pool and recreation area were clean and refreshing.

In general, if you are looking for good value and are not needing 500 threat count sheets, you can count on GNI for a good stay.

Room Tip: Staying mid-week offers lower rates and less noise from weekend revelers.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This is the least desireable of the "Grand Casino Hinckley" properties. If you get a free stay, it is worth it. If not, then I would suggest rescheduling your trip until you can stay at one of the other properties.

On the plus side. It was reasonably clean, it was close to Tobies restaurant and bakery and the movie theater and there was a free 24 hour shuttle to the casino. It also had a pool and a continental (bare bones) breakfast. The staff was probably the high point of the hotel - they were friendly and knowledgeable.

On the negative side. It was pretty well worn, the air conditioning was loud and barely able to keep the room cool (it was 102 the day we were there), and it was fairly noisy.

Room Tip: try to get a room overlooking the back as there is sometimes deer and other wildlife to observe.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Plymouth, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

We have stayed at the Grand Northern several times and we've never had any issues. The staff has been pelasant, our room is always very clean, the free breakfast is good and enough variety for us and we love the free shuttle to the casino. We always stay during the lower rates offered Sundays through Wednesdays and feel we get a lot for the price. We do not use the pool but it seems to be very popular with other guests. Beds are comfortable and the noise level is usually low. We will continue to stay here whenever the urge to visit the casino comes over us.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Northern Inn? Share your experiences!