“Total blast” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 17 Attractions in Hastings
Type: Amusement/ Theme Parks, Amusement Parks
More attraction details
Owner description: We are the first and ONLY heavy equipment adventure in the Midwest. Come play on an excavator or bulldozer for fun! We offer customers the unique opportunity to experience heavy equipment in safe and controlled environment. We let the kid in you play!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Total blast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Operating giant excavators, racing skidders, and SMASHING CARS: how can you go wrong? The guys who run this place are great, too -- excellent instruction, and a great sense of humor all around. I'm definitely doing this again.

MN
3 attraction reviews
“She duffs it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

My husband and I did the excavators. You start by each digging a pile and building a mountain of sand. Then you get to swing your excavator around and launch a ball of the top of the mound. I unfortunately duffed my first shot, but my second try I hit further than my husband. Then you race through an obstacle course. It was a blast, even though I was the loser. I definitely recommend this!!

Visited September 2013
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Kip's 65 th”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

My wife surprised me. I wore casual clothes and sneakers. I saw the construction equipment on the grounds and I was so excited. A dream come true.
We watched the training video for operating a bulldozer, an excavator and a skidder.
I operated all three, twenty minutes at a time. Loved them all.
The dozer was so powerful and what a thrill to climb and descend the hill I created.
Playing golf with the excavator was magical. The wind up and ...
The bob cat (skidder) was agile and responsive. Great fun. I've got to go back.

Mankato
“What a BLAST!! I'm ready to go again.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

This is something I had always to do. It was on my bucket list, but never thought it would get checked off. Well, I was wrong. I got this experience of operating an excavator for my 73rd birthday and was thrilled. It met all my expectations and Randy, the owner of Extreme Sandbox was an excellent instructor and so fun. I would highly recommend it for anyone and everyone wanting to do something a little out of the ordinary - something to get that heart pumping !! I'm ready to do it again!

St. Antthony Village
“Extreme Sandbox: The Pros and Cons”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We visited the Extreme Sandbox in Hastings on Saturday, October 5, to celebrate my father-in-law’s birthday and the birthday of another friend. We bought them the package where you split your time between the excavator and bulldozer. From our experience, I came up with a list of pros and cons:

Pros:

This was a birthday surprise, and when my father-in-law finally saw the Extreme Sandbox area with obstacles set up and heavy equipment waiting to be operated, he was all smiles.

Owner Randy got us checked in promptly and showed us a safety/instructional video about the machines. This was not your typical, boring video. It featured the owners themselves and was very humorous. Let’s be clear, safety is their top priority, but they are all about making sure people have fun too.

Just my father-in-law and friend were going to do it, but co-owner Don offered us a deal to use an excavator that wasn’t going to be used, so my sister-in-law and I also got to join in on the fun.

Randy and Don took us out to the machines and strapped in and ready to go. They were patient and kept things light-hearted. They are very funny guys.

You are always in contact with an employee of Extreme Sandbox through a headset. In our case, it was Randy and Don. They were great at explaining which joysticks and knobs to use, and made what could have been an intimidating thing to learn very easy to learn.

After some initial instruction, they cut us loose and let us dig and build our own hill of dirt with the excavator. When it was a mound (or “tee”), they placed a basketball on top and had us swing the arm of our excavator around and “drive” the basketball off the tee with the bucket. Trust me, if you do this, you are going to be the only one of your friends who has played excavator golf.

For those of us who drove the bulldozer, we got to build a giant hill of dirt and then drive up. You sit at the top, almost vertical, and then get to “tip” over. It is all very safe and makes for some great photos.

Speaking of photos, for a reasonable fee, they will take professional close-up photos for you and then email them. We chose this option and received our photos promptly the next morning – on a Sunday. The photos were awesome and captured the experience perfectly.

The spectator area was great too, as we had our wives along to watch. There is a covered area behind some barricades that provide a great place to take photos and videos. It is almost as much fun to watch the whole process as it is actually do it.

Cons:

Cons? There are no cons! Well, maybe there would be cons if you are the kind of person that doesn’t enjoy having fun or getting the chance to operate 19 ton excavators and build giant hills with bulldozers.

This was truly an awesome, unique experience and I would recommend it to anyone. This is not just for guys either. My sister-in-law is only 5’4” and she operated the excavator just as well or even better than the guys. And the biggest key to making our time great was Randy and Don. They truly care about you as a customer and do everything to make sure you have fun. They run their business with a customer-first perspective which is refreshing to see. Go visit Extreme Sandbox soon – you won’t regret it!