“surprised at the place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Portage Lodge and Casino

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Grand Portage
Grand Portage Lodge and Casino
You added Grand Portage Lodge and Casino to your Saves list
6 Casino Dr, Grand Portage, MN 55605   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Grand Portage
Thunder Bay, Canada
“surprised at the place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

First time visitor. We decided last minute to go and call for price and were told about the deals. We checked in a had to get the coupon from the casino. The hotel line moved great but the casino line was slow. They gave us each $15.00 for the casino. The dinning room had a great deal on prime rib which was cooked perfectly. We had very clean nice room. Great get away from the kids.

Room Tip: lakeside cost more
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Longlac, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We arrived on December 30th to find out our reservation for that night was not entered and I forgot my confirmation number at home. Note to self.. always bring your confirmation number with you. We were able to check in to a room, however, it was not the room we were scheduled in for December 31st. We had to move all of our belongings out of our room check out and check back in when the other room was ready on December 31st because the computer system does not allow changes. We moved from room 308 to 310. Luckily we had friends staying that we did not have to haul all of our stuff back out to the car. The front desk staff and cleaning staff were very accomodating and we were able to move into our other room quickly. Thank you to all of them. We were with friends for the New Years Eve buffet and dance. One of our friends ended up with the stomach flu and was not able to attend either event. When the restaurant staff was asked if we could get some soup to take to the room for our sick buddy with the buffet coupon the request was denied. Thanks Debbie Cochrane for coming to the rescue and getting some soup for him. He appreciated it greatly.
The rooms are comfortable and clean. My experience with this establishment is very positive. The only complaint is the whole building smells very smokey. The lobby should be no smoking along with a section in the front of the casino for those of use that prefer a smoke free environment. The management needs to update their check in/out program to make it more user friendly and train their staff to operate the program.
I would recommend this casino/lodge and will definately be going back despite the smoke.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Spur of the moment stay on a Wednesday night. When we asked the price at the front desk they recommended we get a coupon from the casino, which would make mountain-side rooms $25 and lake-side rooms $35 (amazing). Without that coupon (which only required signing up for a free casino membership) the rooms would've been $59/$69. Along with the coupon we received $15 in free slot play and our stay included a free breakfast! We won $25 in the casino which basically paid for our room, and Lake Superior was GORGEOUS! The lobby did smell like smoke but our room was non-smoking and for $25/$35 it was a GREAT deal and we'd love to stay here again! The breakfast was also not your typical continental breakfast, it was sit-down style with a waitress and all!

• Stayed December 2012
Northern Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Stayed at Grand Portage Lodge and Casino, during the last week of December. The room was clean and comfortable and was a great deal for under $40, in addition to them offering two free breakfasts as well.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
NW Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We spent one night at Grand Portage on the way to Duluth. There was a $29 room special happening which also included 2 free campsite breakfasts the next day, so for the value we were very pleased. Room was large and clean, and the restaurant was attractive. Casino and common areas kind of dingy and smoke filled, but it was fine for a one night stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Myers, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

My husband, daughter & I spent 2 nights in Grand Portage. This hotel is right on Lake Superior - you can easily walk out to the lake from the hotel. We were actually at his hotel about 10 years ago & it looks the same now as it did then.

Our room did seem to be somewhat remodeled (new bathtub) but not much. It was clean & we enjoyed visiting the casino while we were staying there. We also took a day trip up to Thunder Bay, Canada. This was a fun trip but be sure to bring your passports if you want to drive into Canada.

We ate at the hotel/casino restaurant three times - one breakfast & two dinner. We splurged on the $24.99 Seafood Buffet on night. It's questionable if it was worth the price but the food was quite good. They also have a $1.99 breakfast special which is a real deal.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Tahlequah, Oklahoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stopped here for breakfast on our way to tour the monument. My husband and I were both wanting a good breakfast. The girl at the gas station told us that they serve breakfast at the Casino lodge. We found out yes they do, but not very good. After we ordered, which our waiter was very nice, he brought our coffee and juice very quickly, then the food arrived. I had ordered the Campsite, I believe it was called and my husband ordered biscuits and gravy with a side of bacon. Well right off I noticed my food was very greasy, the eggs, ham and hashbrowns, very, VERY greasy. I was busy looking at my food and noticed my husband struggling with his biscuits and gravy, it was only when he bent his fork, because the biscuits were so hard that I began to laugh. He said, this was the one time in his life he had to ATTACK biscuits and gravy with a very sharp pocket knife to get them cut up... I was still laughing as it was such a poor excuse for breakfast. When the waiter came by again and asked how everything was... my husband told him about his food. The young waiter smiled and said thank you and walked off. I tried to explain to my dear hubby that the waiter DID NOT cook the food. And as a lesson to my dear hubby I reminded him, don't order something from the south, when you are in the north! LOL

Room Tip: The food was horrible.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Grand Portage hotels

Been to Grand Portage Lodge and Casino? Share your experiences!