“Needs some love” 2 of 5 stars

Add it.
No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Garrison
Garrison Inn & Suites
9243 U.S. Hwy 169, Garrison, MN 56450   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Garrison
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Needs some love”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Garrison Inn as it was part of a one night stay and fishing package we had booked. From other reviews posted on TA it appears that this little hotel has new owners, and maybe that's why the rooms needed some fixing up.

The check-in service was adequate, nothing awful yet nothing to make it stand out. The woman who checked us in did beam with pride when she told us they had Heggies Pizza available 24 hours a day. It's a frozen pizza, although maybe since it's cooked in the official Heggies Pizza oven that makes it worth $7 for a small 10” frozen pizza.

The rooms need some refreshing. I wouldn't call the walls paper thin, but you are able to tell when the people next door are talking or have their tv on. Our room also had three dime sized holes in the wall next too the window; My best guess is that they used nails to hold the curtains open a one point, but have yet to spackle the holes. The springs in the mattress were on the verge of poking through the bedsheets which appeared to be from the mid-late 1980's. A few nit-picky things: the moulding at the base of the sink in the bathroom had slipped by over half an inch on one side, and the bottom of the sink was filled with dozens of large scratches and chips taken out of it.

“Free enhanced continental breakfast.”
“Our complementary continental breakfast will surprise you!”
Both of these quotes are from their own website. I was surprised of course. They had all the basic staples of what goes into a continental breakfast: Coffees, juices, some bread for toast, and individually wrapped half-dollar sized pancakes? They also have fruit on the weekends according to their site, but I never saw any and we were awake at 7am. Some how this was considered an enhanced continental breakfast. I've seen more enhanced continental breakfasts at Motel 6's and paid half the price to stay there.

This review might be a little harsh, but I do wish the new owners the best of luck and hope they can turn their business around.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

29 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Hutchinson, Minnesota, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

We stayed in the jacuzzi suite and went on a charter. Biggest mistake. The water pressure sucked,it took over two hours to fill the jacuzzi then the warer was green . The room had someone else's left over lotion bottle next to the jacuzzi. Plus the jacuzzi was dirty. We went on a four hour charter and no fish were caught! Horrible Customer service, we had to call the front desk several times because they didn't inform us of anything. No one ask how our stay was,or to come again. Everyone. Acted like we owed them something.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Garrison March 27-29, for a little getaway. We were immediately welcomed by Sue at the front desk who was so friendly and very accomodating througout our stay, getting us extra pillows and answering questions we had about the area. She was really great and made us feel right at home! We did also get to meet the new owners and they are very nice and hard workers. You can tell they care about their customers.
We loved having The Blue Goose right next door. We had drinks there the first night and decided it was so convenient, we had to go back for dinner the next night!
Our room was very nice with a big king-size bed and a big jacuzzi tub. I will say that the water runs very slow so it takes a while to fill the tub, but it was really not a big deal. We just enjoyed a cocktail while waiting for it to fill up. :) It was also nice having the fridge in the room because we brought some of our own drinks. Also, we didn't take advantage of this awesome extra, but they serve Heggie's pizzas all night! The continental breakfast was a pretty standard continental, but pretty good, nonetheless. They had the little microwave pancakes that come in the wrapper, so I liked those.
We personally just went for a couple nights of relaxation away from the hustle and bustle of the city, but this would be a great place to stay too if you're going to do some fishing or other fun things on the lake. It looks right out on Mille Lacs. Beautiful!

Rochester, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

We had a very nice stay. New owners are very special people. They had just bought the hotel from a man who sold a bunch of rooms on Groupon - like us - he walked away with the Groupon money in his pocket and the new owners were stunned to learn that they were faced with these commitments. They did not have to honor the coupons for Groupon and Groupon should have been more careful of its policies. But they did honor ours and gave us a very nice stay in a very nice room. Lake Mille Lacs is just across the highway from hotel - easy walk. Boat launch 1/4 mile away. Very nice indoor pool. Very nice indoor hot tub. My only issue was the bed was a little firm for my taste. Everything else was perfect.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Bloomington, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

My husband and I were looking for a place away from the average motel. When friends of ours recommended this up north place near the beautiful Mille Lacs, we discovered much more than a place. Warm and inviting with a fireplace upon entry, the staff will accommodate your needs and give you the reassurance of a well run, people oriented business. We will definitely recommend this place to others. Thanks to the new owners, Lee and Kay, and best wishes to their staff!

Room Tip: Specify lake view
Garrison, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

I'm a local business woman in Garrison & stayed at the hotel during the big snowstorm the end of February as I needed to be at the office bright and early the next day. The hotel welcome both myself and my dog! We were greeted to a large bedroom with with (2) queen size beds & a refrigerator. The rooms were very comfortable! The front desk staff was very nice and helpful. They even helped me shovel out my car the next day so I could get to work, now that's customer service! I was also greeted by the new owners Kay & Lee, and they went out of their way to accomodate my dog! I definitely recommend this quaint, cozy and comfortable hotel to others! Thanks Kay, Lee & your wonderful staff!!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

We stayed here for two nights 3-8 and 3-9.
Hotel was nice and clean and rooms were big.
They honored our crowd cut just fine. Even though there is new owners and they didn't know
about the crowd cut when they bought it. The only complant would be their breakfast very boring and limited for being advertised as deluxe.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Garrison Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!