“Great jazz and lamb” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Shoreview, Minnesota
“Great jazz and lamb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Love the big band jazz and the wonderful Greek salad. Great place to meet friends. the owner is very gracious. excellent lamb dishes.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Blaine, Minnesota
“Used to like but it's gone south !”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I used to like this restaurant but it has really taken a turn for the worst ! We visited tonight and ordered Walleye. The fish (sampled by both my fiancé And I) tasted like chemicals or turpentine. We sent it back. Soon the owner (Jimmy) came back put with our walleye and stood over us telling us there was nothing wrong with it .... This is good fish. We tried to explain the taste but he kept pinching off bites of the walleye and stuffing it in his mouth and saying " this is good, nothing wrong with it". Who does that ??

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“SUNDAY BRUNCH--HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

For $14.50 for the Sunday brunch, I would have rather gone somewhere with a coupon for a buy 1/get 1 meal, and had a meal that was satisfying or at least homemade, and for half the price of this Shorewood brunch, but having never tried the brunch, we tried it today, since we saw the menu online, which listed waffles, french toast, and scrambled eggs as some of the entrees. BIG disappointment. Very small selection of items. There were no waffles, and we were told the waffle maker 'broke' that morning. There was still the cold, dry french toast to be had! And that's if you like cinnamon-flavored french toast, which we don't. The sides included overly cheesy (i.e. greasy) hashbrowns, and limp bacon. The sausage was okay, but at least it was not doctored up in some way, like the scrambled eggs which looked more like the additional ingredients than eggs. (That's what the omelet bar is for--for those who want 'things' added to their eggs!) The pastry options were the little pre-made, frozen caramel rolls or those icky prepackaged, store-bought, white-frosted Lofthouse-type vanilla cookies found at any supermarket. There was a platter of melon chunks, mushy grapes and a couple of strawberry halves for the fruit (we were lucky enough to get a rotten strawberry). There were a couple of lunch items, like the carved meat, gyro meat, a bowl of what we assumed to be the "Greek salad" (did not try), and two other bowls of some other types of too-much-dressing salads. For dessert, the ONLY option was A BOWL OF VANILLA iCE CREAM SITTING IN A BOWL OF ICE, with an ice cream scoop in it, and few bowls of toppings that included cheap sprinkles and some kind of cherry sauce--not even hot fudge, of course! The updated decor is nicer now, but the food is still far sub-par compared to the price charged.

The Shorewood or any restaurant offering a brunch could draw huge crowds if the breakfast items had a variety of QUALITY, hearty breakfast foods like PLAIN hashbrowns, plain eggs, crisp bacon, regular (not cinnamon) french toast, FRESH and plentiful fruit, fresh-baked pastries and desserts. Mystic Lake has a terrific brunch, but it is in the southern suburbs. The northern suburbs needs a restaurant that has a reasonably priced, QUALITY brunch!

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
50onthego
“Nope....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

The decor of this restaurant is tasteful, really quite lovely and refined. But it smells.....clearly they are pumping in some type of scent to cover something? I don't know. I initially thought it was someone's perfume at a nearby table, and since the scent was so strong I was tasting it, I was going to ask for another table. And then, to my disappointment, my husband pointed out that the smell permeated the entire dining room. So I knew that I was going to be literally "eating" it throughout my entire meal.

The prices at this restaurant are not high, but certainly not cheap....so you are expecting top notch quality.....at least I was.

So we started with an overwhelming perfume smell/taste and were then greeted by our server who never once smiled. She seemed to think that the only thing that mattered was which appetizer we were going to order (we had no intention) and in reciting at length what "her" favorites were. Although I do like to hear what a server enjoys, I generally care more about what others like, so my question is generally, "what is your most popular, raved about item?"

I ordered a steak that was supposed to be simmered in a red wine sauce and topped with sauteed mushrooms, onions and green peppers. I tend to be a boring purist when it comes to my steaks, so I asked them to omit the onions and peppers. When the steak arrived, complete with onions and peppers, I asked to have a new one because I didn't want those flavors in my steak. They took the steak back, scraped them off and returned the SAME steak...complete with onion and pepper flavor. I could have told them that I am perfectly capable of scraping stuff off of stuff.....

But the bigger problem turned out to be that my steak was medium well, and I had ordered medium rare. When I told our server about this, she actually asked me to cut into it and SHOW her?!?! So I did, and she said quite condescendingly, "Yes, it's probably a couple of temperatures off..." as if I should be content with just a "couple of temperatures" off.

She took the steak back and returned with a new one less than two minutes later. It was white/gray with grill marks.....so, yes, it was cold and blue inside. I didn't say anything....I just didn't eat it. And, I don't know if it's because they had re-done my mushrooms a few times by this time, however, they were now dry and crunchy....never had crunchy mushrooms before, and I'm not going to have them again....not good.

For a small price, you are able to add a 4 oz. lobster tail. Now I do understand how much food cooks down when you cook it, and fish tends to do that moreso, however, our lobster tails were undoubtedly under 1 oz of final cooking weight. I take small bites, so I was able to "stretch" mine out to two bites....my husband, however, wasn't able to.

I had a baked potato which was cool and mushy. The skin was nowhere near crispy, as it definitely should be in a restaurant charging these prices.

They do serve a great Greek salad, and always have.

In the past, I have twice had the chicken in phylo....once it was fresh and excellent, and the phylo crispy. The second time, it had clearly been heated up in a microwave, and everything was mushy.

This last evening, my husband had the $23 - 6 oz. filet mignon. He said it was excellent, and clearly it had been properly prepared. So between his steak and the salad all was not lost.

However, as far as our returning to the Shorewood, that is lost.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
minneapolis
“Avoid prime rib sandwich”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I often eat out and rarely complain about the food that is served. On this occasion, a party of three all ordered what is essentially considered to be a French Dip sandwich derived from what was described on the menu as prime rib. The so called "prime rib" was extremely tough, grisly, and dry. It was more like round steak than any prime rib I have ever eaten. When we complained to the server of our dissatisfaction, we were informed that it was prime rib that was left over from the previous day. We were not offered a substitute meal. I have visited this restaurant in the past and have found the food to be very satisfactory hence the return visit. This, however, was hands down the most unsatisfying dining experience I have ever had. We were offered a complimentary dessert to make up for the meal. The service could also be improved. I would be very reluctant to return.

• Visited November 2012