“very friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
MN
“very friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

went as a family for the Friday night fish fry. Broiled fish was very bland. Lightly breaded was better, All you can eat but pieces very thick cut cod was very filling. Very wide variety of sides, Salad bar was pretty good. I would recommend for seniors and for familys. we did not go into the attached sports bar. we plan to return sometime for the breakfast.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Minneapolis
“New - needs work”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

In full disclosure this restaurant opened about a week ago and used to be the American Legion. I never dined at the Legion.

We decided to give it a try last Friday and it was filling up by the time we arrived. By the time we left (7pm) it was packed.

The specialty on Friday nights is the fish fry. You can have your fish fried or broiled. Don't order the fish broiled - WAY OVERCOOKED! It was very chewy. I ordered half and half. For 10 minutes I pondered what exactly was wrong with the fried fish. First it is obvious that the quality of this fish is poor. Probably previously frozen which is a mistake. But that wasn't the only issue. The batter seemed to have a good taste but wasn't crispy enough and was oily. My guess is that with the amount of fish they were serving the oil temperature was too low. That made it off. They serve the fish with salad bar, tartar sauce, lemon and your choice of potato. The cheesy hashbrowns were good. The salad bar is the usual lettuce and a few toppings plus it has soup and rolls. Tonights soup was cheesy broccoli and it was very good except for the broccoli. The carrots were firm in the soup but the broccoli was a brown mushy mess. They should steam the broccoli and add it to the soup right before serving. And pureeing some broccoli and adding to the cheese base would give it a little more flavor.

My brother had the spaghetti with meatballs (free salad bar on Friday's). It had 5 nice meatballs, great sauce and a perfectly toasted piece of garlic toast. I tasted it and would give that 4 stars. Five if the pasta would have been al dente.

They offer burgers (1/2 lb. angus previously frozen), Mexican entrees, sandwiches, prime rib (weekends) and a lot of appetizers. Plus they are open at 6am weekdays (Tu-F) and 7am weekends for breakfast.

I almost gave this review 2 stars but they just opened and obviously have some food issues. Our server was great and stayed on top of things even though she was always in movement delivering food and refilling drinks. It is in the details. They had malt vinegar but use a very off brand catsup (Heinz or Hunts would be better). The hostess was friendly and seated us right away.

This is the closest restaurant to our home so we were hoping it would have wonderful food. They said the burgers are cooked to order but I would have ordered one rare had they been using fresh beef. That is why I prefer the Longbranch - they use only fresh and it won't make me sick.

My advice to the owners - step up your ingredients quality and the care in preparation. Otherwise you will have a lot of one time diners.

• Visited August 2012