“Best Dive in Ely!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
McGregor, Minnesota
“Best Dive in Ely!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I read reviews and knew that I would be passing through Ely for dinner on our Harley ride. My first reaction when we entered was, how could a "dive" have such good reviews?! (dirty carpet, plugged toilet....) We sat outside and had a beautiful view of the lake. The menu is mostly burgers priced from $12-$15. We ordered the "Gods Country" burger (garlic mushrooms & blue cheese). It was the biggest, best burger we ever had! Excellent onion bun, burger, whole mushrooms, real fries and one burger basket fed two very hungry adults, so after all not such a bad price considering the size and quality. The nice old labrador that hangs out at the outdoor tables waiting for his next snack has the "good life."

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Davidsonville, Maryland
“Stuffed hash browns... thats different!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Found this place during some google searches for restaurants near Ely. This place is not on the main drag in town, but its only minutes away. I never heard of a stuffed hash brown till I saw their menu. You better come hungry, don't worry about lunch that day either. (Or just take half home for breakfast again tomorrow!). I had the "Burntside Brown" (named after nearby lake). It contained: onions, green pepper, bacon, cheddar cheese, chili and was topped with 2 over easy eggs and toast. All of this wrapped up in a hash brown the size of a pancake. Yeah I finished it, but the 2 of the 4 of us took home leftovers. Burgers on menu looked great too. Maybe next time. By the way, their menu is online so check out the full menu before you go. Hint: Seriously consider splitting an order.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
The Woodlands, Texas
“Amazing Burgers!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Our Boy Scout crew stopped here on our way to Northern Tier earlier this month. We liked it so much, we came back after we returned from our adventure. I had the Loony Loon the first time, and it was very good, although messy. On our second trip, I had the Spontaneous Combustion. It isn't quite as spicy as the name might suggest, but is very very tasty. I could only eat about 3/4 of the burger on the first trip, and thought I would for sure be able to finish it after what we went through, but nope... about 3/4 the second time around too. HUGE burgers. My 15-year old finished both "Portage" burgers he had.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Burnsville, Minnesota
“Great burger”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I love the fact that if they don't have a burger that you want, they are willing to make what you do want, provided they have the ingredients. Also, I LOVE their hand made chips. The best! It is a small place so you have to take your chances on indoor seating, but if the weather is nice, they have several beautifully made outdoor tables.

Visited June 2013
Big Lake, Minnesota
“One again Stoney Ridge come through for Breakfast!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

We have been here a few times and always had great food, this time was no different. The Stuffed hash browns were great (Little Long) and the pan cakes for the kids could have been split in two. Food service for Ely and always a great view. Skip Rockwoods and their long waits for high bills come here!

Visited July 2013