“Relaxing, peaceful stay at a beautiful resort.” 5 of 5 stars

9130 Escape Road, Ely, MN 55731   |
Offers & Announcements
JULY $995 (3 remain)
Ranked #2 of 29 Specialty lodging in Ely
“Relaxing, peaceful stay at a beautiful resort.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Our family of five had a wonderful stay at Timber Wolf Lodge. We enjoyed fishing, swimming, campfires and the picturesque scenery surrounding us. We also spent time in nearby Ely visiting the Bear Center and the Wolf Center, which our boys really loved. We stayed in Cabin #9, which was very spacious, comfortable and cozy~it felt like "home" for the week we were there. The staff was also very welcoming, friendly and helpful and always put the guests'
needs first. We would highly recommend this resort for anyone wanting a peaceful, relaxing, comfortable stay!

• Stayed June 2013
Timber Wolf L, Owner at Timber Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Tammy Rae - Firstly thank you for allowing us to host your family of 5! Yes Cabin 9 is a very special place - great privacy and views of Bear Island Lake. We hear a lot of compliments regarding the new cedar porch that we added to Cabin 9 in 2012. Our guests really LOVE that space!

I'm glad that you and your family were able to take in all of the great activities we have to offer. And its great to hear that you took time in our quaint little town of Ely, MN. It is really the right mix of local food, shops and unique attractions. Our friends at the Wolf and Bear Centers do a great job!

I am always most grateful when guest reviews arrive with compliments to our staff. Your comment that "they always put the guest need first" is wonderful news to me!

Come back and see us sometime. And remember that our website now has a Last Minute Deals page where we put deep discounts on short stays.... its a great way to get a cheap and quick getaway to Ely, MN. Welcome back anytime!

51 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Cloquet
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Our vacation was everything, plus more than the brochure showed. We had such a wonderful relaxing family vacation in Cabin#9. The improvements that the new owner did this year were very nice. Thank-you Roger. Chad, Angela and the staff were great. Thank-you.

Room Tip: Cabin #9 was perfect for My Family. The Master bedroom has a queen size sleep number bed, and the s...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Jamie P - thank you for your kind review of Timber Wolf Lodge and Cabin 9. It is a very special place on the resort with that great view of Bear Island Lake, private dock, lakeside fire-pit and the new 3-season cedar porch that we installed in 2012. Cabin 9 is quickly becoming a guest favorite.

I'm so glad to receive your compliment of our staff! We work hard to focus on our guest's needs. By the way - keep an eye on our website. We just created a new page that showcases any last minute cancellations and deals. These stays are deeply discounted and a great way to get a cheap getaway to Ely, MN. Come back soon!
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We found this resort on the internet. It was a quick decision to book a week and we just returned today. Timber Wolf Lodge is a resort for those who enjoy the outdoors. If you are looking for a luxury resort go elsewhere. If you are looking for a "cabin" feel then consider this your spot. When we arrived we found the cabin very clean. We loved the fact that the cabins were quite private and you and your neighbors had your own privacy because the cabins were secluded by woods. We stayed in Cabin 5 and the screened in porch was my favorite place to read a book, look out over the lake or have a quiet conversation with my husband. In Cabin 5 the bedrooms are quite small with just enough room to walk around the bed. The cabins are not air-conditioned but no worries as the evenings are quite cool and there was always a gentle breeze blowing thru. Perhaps one of the best assets this resort has is it's staff! They answered any question you had and made you feel very welcomed and cared for. They were always busy bringing you free wood, emptying the garbage or whatever else needed to be done. Angela does a nice job on the special free "adventures" she offers. The swimming beach is wonderful. One thing to note is that on the resort map the lakeside cabins may appear to be at beach level but the are not. It requires a few steps down to the beach. We loved the time on the lake and taking out the Kayak. Ely is just 10 miles away and we loved the Tuesday night Blue Grass Music that was free at the Front Porch coffee shop. If I could suggest one thing it may be to bring your own sheets....they advertise luxurious bedding but I didn't find that to be true. We were thankful we threw in our sheets as theirs were a bit thin and nubby.....no big deal if that is all I can find to constructively criticize! Thanks for a great week Timber Wolf Lodge and staff!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Timber Wolf L, Owner at Timber Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Woody47 -

We were so glad to be able to host you for your 35th Anniversary! Thank you for your kind words about our cabins. And thanks for noticing the attentiveness of our staff. When a guest compliments our staff --- well those are some of the best words that an owner can hear!

I'm glad you enjoyed our high degree of privacy at TWL. Yes Cabin 5 is a great private little spot - and the screen porch is the perfect setting for a good book and a little reprieve. I'm also glad that you took in the local fare and happenings in Ely. Such a great city....

I will look into your concern over the linens. When you describe them I wonder if our housekeepers mistakenly placed the wrong sheets on your Sleep Number Bed before your arrival. Anyhow we are looking into it and really appreciate you letting us know. We can only improve as our guests point out these details to us. Thank you for sharing your concern.

BTW - we just launched a new Last Minute Deals page on our website. It offers last-minute cancellations at really deep discounts.... so if you are ever up for a quick Ely getaway please keep that in mind.

Again - thank you for your kindness to all of us at Timber Wolf Lodge! We hope to see you again.
Glasgow, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

You will see a review by Nick V. below in which he praises your facilities. He mentioned that his mother-in-law was coming for a visit and wanted to see this area. He, my daughter and I spent two glorious days at the lodge and it was totally fantastic! The surroundings were beautiful. The cabin was clean, the rooms well done. My only problem is at my age, I got the bunk bed and now I take pity on my daughters having them in their youth! This is not a complaint believe me! It was so quiet and peaceful - no traffic jams, no noisy neighbors. All we could hear were the loons on Bear Lake and the birds in the morning. The sunset was gorgeous both nights and at sunrise, I would sit on the picnic bench and just listen to the world come to life. We sat on the dock and shot many pictures.

I grew up in central IL but have lived in MO, TX, AZ and now am a resident of south central KY. I love KY for its beauty but nothing could compare to the Timber Wolf Lodge area!

If I possibly can (and the family will put up with me again, I would dearly like to come back again. I brought home many memories of the Ely area - Wolf Center, Bear Center, the neat shops, the great food - but I enjoyed most of all just that little cabin in the woods. Thank you for making my stay so enjoyable! Sandi G.

Room Tip: I can't think of a thing. I only saw this one cabin, next time hope to be a little closer to the...
Dear Sandra G -

When we got the call that you would be joining Nick & Shelly and that it was your first adventure to Ely we were really pleased! Nick & Shelly are such great folks - and they are some of our biggest champions at Timber Wolf Lodge! I'm glad you enjoyed Cabin 8. Next time we'll try to upgrade you so that you can have your own Sleep Number Bed too!

Thanks for noticing our peaceful surroundings and privacy. We are proud that we don't stack our cabins on top of each other - that we give a lot of room for privacy to each family.

You'll have to ask Shelly to email some pictures to us. Last year we were able to share some of her best work with our Facebook friends. She's got a great eye for photography!

Come see us again Sandra. We'll leave the light on for ya! :)
Hudson, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I have been going to TWL with my family for over 20 years now and for the first time this past summer I was able to bring a little one of my own to enjoy the north woods of MN. The new owners are doing a great job fixing up the cabins and turning the resort around. This place is an amazing get away for children of all ages and outdoors men (and women) who enjoy fishing. The past few years the walleye catch has been slow when we have been up there but we have always been able to find the smallmouth bass up in the shallows. My wife and I even made the paper a few times with our evening catch and my parents this past year made the Duluth news with their evening catch this year.

I would highly recommend setting some time aside to explore some of the various hiking trails north of Ely. Each year my wife and I try to explore a new trail up there and love getting away from people and out of cell coverage to enjoy the amazing landscape up there! The wolf and bear reserves are also fun to enjoy.

Throughout my time at TWL I would say that cabins 4,5 and 9 are by far the best! They have the good privacy along with great lake views with a private dock. Cabin 10 is nice and big and has a private dock but no lake view which is a downfall. Some of the other lake front cabins are very nice as well but not as private at 4,5 and 9 are. My parents book cabin 9 every year when we go up so we are hoping to get into 5 next year (we were in 10 this year with my in-laws but didn't like not having a lake view).

Room Tip: Cabins 4,5 and 9 are the best in my opinion.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Timber Wolf L, Owner at Timber Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
That is just so super great Jatack! I heard through the grapevine that the 4th generation of your family joined us this year too. How great is that! Thanks for the kind remarks. Yeah, I wish we could just pick-up C10 and move it about 50 feet towards the lake. In spite of having your own private lakeshore at Cabin 10 and a private dock - you don't feel like you are right on top of the water like you do in your parent's cabin. Maybe moving C10 is a 2014 project??? :)

I hope you and your parents enjoyed the new cedar porches in Cabins 9 and 10. They have become a guest favorite, as well as the Sleep Number Beds. Sleeping in Ely with those cool crosswinds in the Sleep Number Bed - that is one of my favorite things about Timber Wolf Lodge!

I saw all of the press coverage that your family got from your catches last week. Bear Island Lake has been producing really well in 2013. And that shot of the nesting bald eagle on the island was AMAZING!

Many more happy memories for you and your beautiful family! Thanks again for your kind words! They mean everything to us!
Hutchinson, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a great week in Ely, MN and the Timber Wolf Lodge! The people were so kind, service was wonderful and the place was comfortable, clean, and some place we will certainly return to! I was most impressed by the feeling of, even though we were at a resort that accommodates many guests, we felt like we were the only ones there, the only ones who were at the resort. We would absolutely bring family and friends there without hesitation. Wonderful wonderful resort!

• Stayed June 2013
Timber Wolf L, Owner at Timber Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Dear Stacey in MN - thank you so much for your kind & thoughtful words! I'm glad that our staff was attentive to your needs and that you were able to relax from the rigors of life.

You also picked-up on an aspect of Timber Wolf Lodge that we are proud of. Because we have 75 acres at TWL you really do get a sense of seclusion and privacy. You definitely don't feel like your cabin is stacked on top of your neighbor!

Hopefully we will get you back soon. And do keep an eye on our website. We just launched a new Last Minute Specials page. These are usually late cancellations that we discount a bunch. Take advantage of that if you can.

Very best regards from all of us at Timber Wolf Lodge.

rb
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

This is our 21st year at Timber Wolf Lodge and we LOVE IT! We have stayed in eight of the twelve cabins over the years and every cabin has its "special features" that we enjoy! With new sleep number beds and other amazing upgrades to each cabin this place is heaven on earth! Late night campfires, fishing on Bear Island Lake, breath taking sunsets, and much more make Timber Wolf Lodge our favorite "home" away from home!

Dear Storm Watcher -

Firstly thank you for 21 years of loyalty to Timber Wolf Lodge! Our small family resort can only thrive if folks like you return year-after-year. We are grateful for you and your family! And we were glad to see the next generation enjoying Bear Island Lake this year!

Thank you also for noticing the remodels and upgrades and the new furnishings in each cabin. Yes the Sleep Number Beds have been a hit!

Very best regards from all of us at Timber Wolf Lodge.

rb

Been to Timber Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!