“This is a classy place.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 22 Restaurants in Ely
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Horton
“This is a classy place.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We always frequent the Front Porch for their great coffee, and because we are fans of Pat Surface. We attend the Tuesday concert when we are in town once a year. We appreciate that the Front Porch sponsors Pat Surface and the Boundary Water Boys.

Visited June 2013

New York
“Coffee and wi-fi made it for me”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Not much in the area for coffee and wi-fi, so right there they had me. I was camping in Superior National Forest and came here a couple times toward the end of my stay to get my thermos filled up and plan the next leg of my trip.

A pleasant environment that seems to be the only game in town for coffee, lots of locals running into each other, as well as tourists just stopping in. Worthwhile just to eavesdrop a bit and soak up the small-town atmosphere. A couple at the next table was going over a real-estate contract with some young would-be go-getter salesman. The woman actually asked, "Do I need to read all this before I sign?" Of course you do! I had to bite my tongue. I hope that works out for them . . .

Once again, staff has "coffeehouse syndrome": they seem to be trying to be not nice, but somehow failing. Strike a pose and stick with it!

The food I had was okay. Quiche was good. Breakfast burritos, which they say they make fresh in-house, are pre-wrapped and just okay. Both items are heated in the microwave. While my quiche is in the microwave, one of the staff makes a snarky remark about microwaves in general. Enough with the snark, coffeehouse workers! It's tiresome and very few can pull it off well.

Wi-fi is active for an hour, that worked out well for getting my research done, but discouraged pointless and unproductive lingering.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Green Bay, Wisconsin
“Great place for coffee, food, music, relaxing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Have stopped here many times when we are in Ely for coffee and food - sometimes breakfast, sometimes lunch. Their food choices are outstanding, with something for everyone. Their employees are great, friendly and the customer service has always been great. One of my favorite places to stop.

Visited May 2013
Ocala, Florida
“My favorite place in Ely!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Wonderful food, excellent coffee, free wifi, and fun people. It doesn't get much better than this! I'm here every day when I visit the area.

Visited May 2013
Sonoma, California
“Cozy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Stopped in here for tea and soup on our first day on Ely. Coming from California, we were freezing so we stopped in to warm up. Soup was very good and the selection of pastries was stellar. Nice non-Starbucks appeal!

Visited December 2012