“Good Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Ely
Minnetonka
“Good Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Our stay was great. Front desk was very accommodating and cordial. It was our first visit to Ely, MN and we have no complaints about our four day stay, either for our accommodations or our visits to the local exhibits. We would stay at this Super 8 again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
warwick, new york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I paid well over $300 for just 3 nights in a routine Super 8. Bear in mind this is a price gouging town that would have disappeared off the map a long time ago if it were not for Native Americans inventing the Canoe.The locals here believe they have a right to squeeze the last nickel out of passing tourists to pay their rent the other 10 months. That being said, the Super 8 had the only available rooms and you can stay here without running to the ATM before checkout. Super 8 prices are closer to reality than the other out of control Innkeepers. Our room was clean, modern,with flat Screen TV. Forget the Wi Fi it is non existent. There is no pool but the other town Motels don't have pools either. It had good Air Conditioning(don't take this for granted in Ely) and a quiet nights sleep. The breakfast was austere, some dry cereal served in Styrofoam bowls. One pastry,one choice of yogurt and a condensed juice dispenser. No Eggs,no bacon,no sausage, no bagels. The saving grace was a waffle machine so we ate these every morning. Watch the big rocks in the parking lot,we scratched our car.This would be recomendable at $79 a night more than that is too much but again it may prove to be your default hotel in Ely.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I had stayed here at the same time in 2012 and had no complaints at all. In fact I'd say it was pretty much on par with what most are saying on here where the room was comfortable enough, internet worked well, and overall there were no problems. In 2013 though was a different story. I had a 3 day stay and problems came one after another. First I'm not sure if it is just the area but paying over $100 a day for a single traveler getting the most inexpensive room seems a bit pricey for a Super 8. The walls were paper thin so you can hear most conversation in nearby rooms, but that is not necessarily the fault of anyone on the staff. The room was the furthest away from the front desk and apparently the only wifi router for the entire place is at the front desk so if I needed to use the internet I had to go down to the lobby. Upon asking if it would be possible to move somewhere closer so I could have access I was informed that they were fully booked (which is perfectly acceptable, they can't do anything about that) but was told that the very next day they would look at getting a new or more powerful router, but didn't appear to actually make any effort towards that (I had stayed for 3 additional days). The smoke detector in the room looked like it had something sticking out of it, and it turned out that it was the battery compartment and there was no battery installed; a major major safety concern! Even more so than that, I was bothered that on multiple mornings at around 9am the housekeepers would insert their keys and come on into the room with absolutely no notice. No knocking, no announcing their presence. Being in town on business and having money and paperwork out on the table while I'm in the room, that is a huge cause for concern.

Room Tip: If wifi matters to you, try to get a room close to the main desk.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Stayed a night before hopping on the water for a week in the BWCAW. The cost was very inexpensive ($98.00) for 3 of us. the 2 double beds were very comfortable, and the room was quiet. I will admit I would have liked more choices at the continental breakfast, but the food was fresh and tasty. Overall, I would happily stay there again. After all, you get what you pay for, and I was looking for a place to sleep comfortably for the night. Not much else.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Super 8 Motel Ely? Share your experiences!