“Great time and lots of memories at Timber Trail” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Timber Trail Lodge and Outfitter

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ely
Timber Trail Lodge and Outfitter
You added Timber Trail Lodge and Outfitter to your Saves list
HC 1, Box 3111, Ely, MN 55731-9328   |
Ranked #8 of 32 Specialty Lodging in Ely
Fairport, New York
“Great time and lots of memories at Timber Trail”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

I took my father (91 years old) to Timber Trail Lodge for a week of fishing and relaxation. We went out for 5 days with the Timber Trail guides and he caught fish each day we were out. He landed some large bass, walleyes, and northerns and his smiles were wonderful. I took lots of pictures of his catches and the guide took our pictures when we caught fish at the same time. These pictures will be great reminders of our time on the lake.

We stayed in a motel style unit next to the lodge. We had 2 beds, a kitchenette with an eating area, bathroom, and shower. We had chairs outside the door for sitting out on the porch in the evening. We could eat in our unit or run into town for dinner or shopping.

Everyone at the Resort was very nice and helpful. We left with lots of memories and friendships made at the Timber Trail Lodge.

• Stayed July 2010

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

My extended family has been coming to Timber Trail for many many years to have one enjoyable week of catching up with each other catching fish and catching fun. We started coming when we found that Timber Trail was one of the few resorts that could accommodate my total care, wheelchair bound mom. It was a week of heaven on earth for our family. The Forsberg family went out of their way to see that mom's every need was meet. Mom loved to look out from the balcony and see children playing out in the water. Family members heading out to fish and returning with their catch. And finally capping off an activity filled day with a roaring campfire and smores.

We have stayed in an array of cabins over the years. They are all cute, cozy and well outfitted... no roughing it. We have also been very comfortable in the motel rooms.

I drive to Timber Trail from the Philadelphia area every year, but a summer vacation is not complete without a Timber Trail time and the kind Forsberg hospitality and the fond memories we have enjoyed.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

Let me begin this review by saying that my husband and I went to Ely to celebrate our anniversary, relax by the lake, do some hiking and catch up on sleep. The weekend was a gigantic failure. I even waited a couple weeks hoping my irritation would diminish so I could give a positive review.

According to the sign in the cabin and lodge, the resort has quiet hours from something like 9:30 p.m. until 8 or 9 a.m. Apparently, it's more for show than anything. From the time we checked in until well after midnight, the drunks next door got progressively more drunk, obnoxious and loud. If the lodge hadn't closed at 8:00 p.m., I would have complained. I woke up at 6 a.m. to the noise of them yelling to each other as they packed their car to leave. Why bother having a quiet hours policy if it isn't enforced?

Clearly the resort staff and/or owners have little respect for paying customers. This was a complete waste of our money and time as half of the trip was ruined.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
TimberTrail, Owner at Timber Trail Lodge and Outfitter, responded to this review, July 24, 2010
As the owner of Timber Trail Lodge I am at a loss as to how to respond to "Waste Of Money". Any business that provides accommodations to the public upon occassion will have guests that act inappropriately. In our 17 years of owning Timber Trail Lodge we have delt with a number of similiar situations. Our Lodge building is manned 24 hours per day. Guests requiring services durring non-office hours can ring our emergency bell, knock on our door, or call our office. Our days and nights are fill with addressing the needs and desires of our guests. That is what we do. To assume that we "the staff/ and or owners have little rspect for paying cusomers" is completly inaccurate. Even if this guests had waited untill their departure to advise us of their problem, we would gladly have refunded their cost for accommodations. I can only wish we had been provided the oppertunity to address the concerns of "Waste Of Money" but we were not. As the owner I am greatly saddened by this event.
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2010

For 11 summers Timber Trail Lodge (a resort on a Northern Minnesota lake with many cabins and other accomodations) has become a part of our family history and will continue to be. Each summer my family comes back in different numbers and at different times. The Forsberg family (owners and operators) makes our family feel like part of the Timber Trail family. We are always able to combine cabin and hotel combinations to accomodate all budgets and expectations of each individual in our group. They have all the boats and gear anyone could want - from kayaks to motor boats to pontoon boats to canoes and private docks. Boundary Waters Outfitters is located on site and offers excellent rental gear and guided trips. Family members have taken many canoe camping trips with them and their guides. (The really cool thing: you can paddle acorss the lake and be in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness in 30 mins.) All their day-trip fishing guides are GREAT (Ask for Rob). We never run out of things to do here and in nearby Ely - that's why we have to keep coming back. (We are already in the process of deciding on dates for next summer.) We always leave with great family stories. Timber Trail is the epitome of the "Up North family-run resort" for everyone from young kids to young honey-mooners to 60-year anniversary honey-mooners. (And yes, a few cabins are handicap accessable.)

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2010

I have been visiting this resort for years and I consider the cabins and boat rentals to be above average but a little pricey with bad service. The only resort that I like better is the Lodge of Whispering Pines on Big Lake but I can never get a cabin on the lake. Most of the cabins at Timber Trail Lodge are all right on the water with your pier located right next to your cabin. The cabins are clean and they offer a variety of sizes. They offer a deluxe boat rental that gives you cushioned seats with backs, trolling motor and depth finder. The resort is situated on Farm Lake only 10 minutes from Ely, MN which is connected to Garden Lake, South Farm Lake, White Iron Lake and Kawishiiwi River Access to the BWCA. The resort also is an outfitter so you can get all your gear and canoes for the BWCA if you want. The only problem I have with the place is the service and price. The owners can be rude and don't seem to enjoy their job at times. I personally don't care as long as they gas up my boat and charge the battery on my trolling motor, I will keep coming back.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

My husband and I made a trip to Ely MN in the month of August and we had a great stay at Timber Trail Lodge. The rooms were very cozy and rustic. The lodge was located very close to major attractions like International Wolf center, National Bear Center, Kawishiwi Falls and Ely downtown. Since we stayed in a motel room category, our room was not overlooking the lake but the cabins on the lakefront were gorgeous. I would definitely recommend this lodge to anyone visiting Ely MN.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

Family-like atmosphere. The Forsberg family make you feel welcome. Rustic yet well-kept cabin we stayed in was fifty feet from the water. The fishing was GREAT. Timber Trail provided us with a great boat, plenty of bait and a nice place to relax for a week. We couldn't have been more pleased with our stay. Guide service was exceptional. We will be back next year!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Timber Trail Lodge and Outfitter? Share your experiences!