“Best water park hotel in the area!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Elk River
Hamel, Minnesota
“Best water park hotel in the area!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

We live locally and often take weekends or overnights at a water park with the kids to get away during the year. Previously, we had always stayed at a nearby Holiday Inn, but this week decided to branch out. I'm SO glad we did - the kids and I had the best mini-vacation ever!

Let me start off mentioning the only negatives in our experience so they are out of the way:

* The 'locker rooms' for the water park were the only thing I have any real complaint about. Toilet stalls with a few lockers added (that don't even lock - bring your own padlock!) the floor is dirty and soaked and there are no benches. You change in a toilet stall. I witnessed several elderly and disabled customers really struggling to change into swim gear without a place to sit down and NO privacy, the entire room is open to the hallway every time the door opens.

* Despite having a large and very pleasant restaurant area with plenty of open space and a buffet, staff seemed to have trouble organizing breakfast during the 'rush' at about 9am and there was almost an hour's wait.

* There's wi-fi everywhere in the hotel, but it's tricky to log into (I had to try several to find the one connected with the hotel,) slow, and drops out pretty often.

---- Pro Tip! The showers work fine and are clean, but were designed by either idiots or aliens and cannot be turned on by normal humans. Here's how you work them, so you don't have to call the front desk like a crazy person, like I did: The outer dial turns the water on and off. The inner dial controls temperature. Get the water how you like it and on full blast. Then reach down to the SPOUT, where the water is coming out in the bathtub, and feel around the edge for a ring. Pull it down, and water will come out of the shower. Possibly the least intuitive design ever! ----

OK. So, there's the things that bothered me.

Now, for the things that THRILLED me, and there were plenty!

* The price was outstanding! I paid at least $20 less than I would have for our 'usual' hotel down the road, and we got a much bigger room and a better experience for it.

* The room! We opted for the 'kid's room' and it is HUGE, a three-room suite that's like an apartment. We squealed when we saw it. Everything is up to date and extremely clean, and the bed was so comfortable I wish I could have slept in it for a week. It was absolutely lovely. I wish every hotel was this nice.

* Our room was super quiet. We were there over spring break, when the hotel was sold out, and we didn't hear a sound all night.

* The water park! Wow - this park is fabulous! It's bigger than others in the metro area, with three 'grownup' slides that are MASSIVE, including a large toilet-bowl type twister. It has a lazy river, and a very large kid's splash zone. The kid's area is nice because it not only has stuff for toddlers, it has slides and climbers that are fun for the 4-6 year olds. I have a 9 and 11 year old, and they could have been happy in this water park for days and days without any trouble. It's fantastic.

* One evening when we were there, there was an 'incident' in the pool, by which I mean someone did not wear a swim diaper, if you catch my drift. The lifeguards immediately and professionally cleared both pools and shut everything down to be cleaned. While my kids were bummed about losing a bit of swim time, this gave me enormous confidence in their water quality.

* The arcade is large, clean, and the machines all work.

* The food at both the restaurant and the pool concessions stand was excellent. Everything was served at the right temperature, there was a good variety, and waitstaff were professional.

* Everyone we encountered from the front desk, to housekeeping, to food service, to the lifeguards, were friendly and helpful. Basically all the staff were super nice.

CONCLUSION: This hotel is not right on the interstate or downtown, it's true, but it's only what? Maybe a 5 minute drive from 94. It is WELL worth your time to book here instead of anywhere else. It's so much more spacious, comfortable, and has so much more fun stuff to offer than other hotels! You have to try it, it's a really great stay. We won't go anywhere else from now on!

Room Tip: If you're traveling with kids, definitely choose the kid's suite. Not only is it spacious an...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this review, April 6, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. I will share your comments with our entire team to address the areas of concern and also the positive areas you mentioned.

Greg Pike

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
White Bear Lake, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

I recently took my daughter and a few friends to this hotel to celebrate her birthday. While we had a wait for our room, everything about our experience was excellent! Because of our wait they offered us many extras which is definitely excellent customer service! I overheard quite a few other patrons complain and even snap at the customer service staff for issues that were not in their control - I think people are just mean and crabby. We will surely return to this hotel for a fun get-away!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your positive feedback regarding your experience. We appreciate your understanding and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Red Wing, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Will start off with the positive - We were very happy with our room - quite spacious, clean and just overall nice. The pool staff was very attentive. Note - this waterpark is ideal for children 12 and under.

Not impressed with desk staff. Customer service is not this hotel's strong suit.

Room Tip: Corner room was great!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your stay. I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your large and clean guest room, as well as your time in the waterpark. I will share your comments with our front desk team so we can address the issue you mentioned.

Ramsey, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

I wrote a review in March 2013 about breathing issues in the pool area. We were given passes to return another day. After a year, the boys decided to try it again but decided not to go into the hot tub...the place where they had problems breathing. Everything seemed to be going fine. The pool was packed and spectators were elbow to elbow amongst the tables and chairs. A little girl walked up to her dad coughing and complaining about how suddenly it had come on. I had a flashback of our experience a year ago. Sure enough, a few minutes later my boys came to me in a panic and said we needed to get out of there. They said their chests were feeling heavy and they had mild coughing. Even though it wasn't as bad as the last time, we definitely will not be returning. They obviously have some ongoing issues with the chemicals or ventilation or something, and I don't want to risk my children's health.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
NL99,

Thank you for your feedback. I have shared your comments with our maintenance team for review. I did look at our pool logs to ensure the readings were in line. Our maintenance department checks the chemical levels a minimum of 4 times when the park is open.

Travelers are raving about these Elk River hotels

Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Stayed here for one night while in town for a work-related conference. Had extremely noisy neighbors (upstairs and next door), thus a restless night of little sleep, had a completely unacceptable meal from the restaurant via room service, and received no forms of apology from the staff for our inconveniences. Very unsatisfied customer, would not recommend.

Room Tip: Walls are paper thin, make sure you don't have neighbors!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Rebecca,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your experience. I would like to apologize for the lack of follow through from our staff. I will share your comments with our management team so they can address them with their teams and correct the deficiencies.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

We brought the grandkids to stay at the Holiday Inn and use the waterpark. We chose to spend a little more and got a suite which had two bedrooms--one King bed and two bunk beds. The living area also had a pull-out couch. Our room had a microwave and fridge. At check in we were given certificates for free dinners and breakfast for the kids. (The restaurant does not serve lunch.)

My grandkids are 10, 8 and 6. They were all excited to use the waterpark. There is a lazy river, a pool with basketball hoops, several slides (including one called the "Toilet Bowl") and an area for little ones to play. Thursday, the day we went which was during spring break wasn't too crowded.There are several lifeguards watching the kids at all times.

There is a snack bar where you can buy items to eat and drink. Tables were adults can sit and watch if they'd like. During Spring Break the hotel also provides an activity each night for the kids. On the night we were there, the hotel provided a staff person and materials to do arts and crafts.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. It was a great winter get-away for us!

Room Tip: For a family a suite is ideal.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Thank you very much for the taking the time to share your excellent family experience! We are thrilled that your visit was outstanding and you were able to enjoy all the wonderful offerings we provide.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Elk River
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

The staff at the hotel/waterpark were really great and did provide good service under the circumstances. We tried to check-in to our room (along with many other guests) at the check-in time and ended up making two different trips to the front desk and waiting an hour to get our room. The waterpark locker rooms were a mess and used towels were everywhere on the floor. The waterpark didn't have any towels available because they weren't able to keep up with laundry. When we had breakfast in the morning, we waited 15-20 minutes for our server to come by and it was a buffet. We stayed over the Presidents' Day weekend and the hotel was full but it seemed like they didn't have enough staff on duty to keep things moving smoothly.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback abour your stay with us over the President's Day holiday. I am happy to hear that our staff was helpful during this busy weekend. Unfortunately we did experience some issues with our laundry equipment that did affect our production. I certainly apologize for the delays you encountered, as our team always works hard to deliver the service levels are guests expect.

Thank you again.

Greg Pike

Been to Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River? Share your experiences!