“Slow service” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Elk River
Elk River
“Slow service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

The staff at the hotel/waterpark were really great and did provide good service under the circumstances. We tried to check-in to our room (along with many other guests) at the check-in time and ended up making two different trips to the front desk and waiting an hour to get our room. The waterpark locker rooms were a mess and used towels were everywhere on the floor. The waterpark didn't have any towels available because they weren't able to keep up with laundry. When we had breakfast in the morning, we waited 15-20 minutes for our server to come by and it was a buffet. We stayed over the Presidents' Day weekend and the hotel was full but it seemed like they didn't have enough staff on duty to keep things moving smoothly.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback abour your stay with us over the President's Day holiday. I am happy to hear that our staff was helpful during this busy weekend. Unfortunately we did experience some issues with our laundry equipment that did affect our production. I certainly apologize for the delays you encountered, as our team always works hard to deliver the service levels are guests expect.

Thank you again.

Greg Pike

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Coon Rapids, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

We have stayed at this hotel/water park before and had a great experience which is the only reason I am giving it an average rating instead of poor. It started out with a long wait at the front desk just to be told that our room wasn't ready. We were able to get in around 4:40 but considering it is such a late check in the way it is we wanted as much time in the pool as we could get, so yes the extra 40 minute wait with 3 young kids was annoying. Also the pool was ridiculously cold. It would be nice to enjoy some time in the pool without having to get out every ten minutes to warm up. The kids all had blue lips even. Like I said we have enjoyed this water park before and it might be worth another try since we live so close but the thought of freezing in the pool isn’t exactly appealing so I don’t think we’ll be back anytime soon.

Room Tip: We had a 2 queen bed 2 room suite and the other part of our party had just a 2 queen room and their...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Darcie,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I will speak with our maintenance department about the water temp to be sure it is at the proper level.

Thank you again fo ryour feedback.

Annandale, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

We stayed the night on February 14th and we had a great stay. Our room was huge for having the standard two queen beds. Check in took a while with a long line, but check out was quick. We stayed at this hotel just for the water park and overall we were happy with it. It was pretty busy, but we expected that with a holiday weekend. Things that I noticed about it were that, although the lifeguards that they had seemed to be doing a good job, I never saw one by the lazy river where our table was at and I almost saw a few kids get swept up in the current. I could easily see someone drowning! It was also hard to find a table or chairs because of how busy it was. The snack bar really needs help. I would have avoided it if we wouldn't have bought the pizza and pop package with our room. The line took forever, with no one working that seemed to know what they were doing. If you were getting alcohol no problem, pizza.. forget it! The people that were working were rude and acted like the customers were a huge inconvenience. My sister waited in line for about twenty to thirty minutes.This was the only real negative of our stay. We looked the variety in the park for all ages, but the little ones were freezing with the water being a bit cold. In the morning we went to breakfast, and even though we had to wait, the service was great. The hostess was super nice! Overall, we will probably come again, but I won't be using the snack bar at the pool but instead ordering out from our room!

• Stayed February 2014
Ashley,

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay with us, I am happy to see that your overall experience a good one!

I will be sharing your comments with our front desk and food and beverage managers so they can coach the team members in these areas.

Thank you again.

minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

My husband and I stayed here in a whirlpool suite and the room was very nice. Very clean, nice decor. We were not blown away with the customer service from this hotel. The 2 girls checking people in were far from friendly, they were bordering on the line of annoyed. I am sure that on a Friday between 4-5pm is a busy time, but please plan ahead. We stood in line for almost 20 minutes before making it to the front desk. I think a little more planning could make this a far better experience for customers. We have never had to wait 20 minutes to get checked in. We felt annoyed by the time we got checked in. Quiet time was far from quiet, now I realize that this is a water park and families bring their kids here, but really, kids running up and down the hallway at all hours of the night AND bright and early in the morning as well. It was not as relaxing as we had hoped it would be because of all the noise. We will choose a different hotel next time we plan a weekend away as the price was a bit pricey for what we got and the lack of customer service. Even the staff at the restaurant were lacking in customer service. It was a good weekend away, but nothing that wowed either of us.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear MinnesotaDlphnlvr,

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

I stayed here on January 18th, and despite being very busy the front desk was friendly and quick, they were able to get me checked in before official check in time which was very nice. The stay would have been 5 stars but unfortunately the "quiet hour" rule (10pm to 7am) wasn't strictly enforced. There were kids running in the halls up until close to midnight although a little frustrating the excellent customer service I received at this property over shadowed the negatives.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Rebecca,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback for your recent visit. I am pleased to see that our team was friendly and able to get you to your room earlier than you expected. I will share your comments about the noise with our security personnel.

Thank you again for sharing your comments.

Fargo, ND
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

When I checked in I was told that because I am a Platinum Member, I can park in the underground heated parking area. Since this is frigid Minesota, I JUMPED at the chance to park where it's warm. The first room I was assigned had such a bad cigarette smell that I called the front desk as soon as I got in the room. The lady who answered the phone apologized and offered a room two doors down with a jacuzzi. That room was roomy, smelled fine, and was clean. I am SO THRILLED with this hotel. I'm coming back in two weeks and I can't wait!! Also, the attached restaurant was a great convenience and had a nice menu. Great service all the way around, hotel and restaurant.
I didn't try the pool but it DID look inviting. Maybe next time...

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Suzb,

First of all, Thank you very much for your loyalty to IHG and your Platinum level membership. It is through guests like you that our brands are able to grow to be Hotels that Guest Love!

Thank you for your wonderful reddback regarding your recent stay with us, our team truly appreciates the recognition for their hard work. I was a bit surprised by the comment of a smokey smell as we are entirely non-smoking.

We look forward to serving you in the near future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

I am here for New Year's Eve with 7 other people in our room with two big beds and a pull out couch. While there is enough space for us to sleep, some how the hotel has managed to run out of blankets. I am sitting here typing this review while freezing my butt off. I called the front desk once to ask for more blankets and they told me they did not have any. Frustrated, I hung up and tried to go back to bed. 15 minutes later I started shivering and called the front desk asking them to please double check. The response I got was ridiculous. The woman said that she was 100% sure they had no extra blankets... I'm sorry but in a big hotel like this how do you honestly run out of blankets?! We had issues with the wifi working in room 305 also. It was very spotty and we actually had to go out in the hall several times to get it to work. When calling the front desk to ask for help the woman answered with no useful information and talked to us very disrespectfully and treated us like a couple of idiots. In addition to all this, the hotel also managed to run out of pool passes saying that they were at capacity and that the only way we could get some was if other families left early or gave up their passes. I'm am thoroughly unimpressed and can guarantee I will not be coming back to this crappy establishment.

• Stayed January 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Dear TaylorN123,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. It is always our goal to provide convenient and world class service to our guest. We apologize we were not able to exceed your expectations during your stay. Please be assured that these will be looked into so our team can take actions accordingly.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River? Share your experiences!