“OK Holiday Inn” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Elk River
Midwest USA
“OK Holiday Inn”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I stayed at the HI Elk River and Wildwoods Water Park on a recent business trip to the area. It's convenient to the Elk River / Otsego areas, and there are numerous bars and restaurants within easy walking distance. The hotel itself is a typical Holiday Inn, with the standard bath supplies, shower head, and room layout. I did not try the water park. One thing to watch out for -- my room (349) faced the highway, which was just a hundred meters or so from the hotel. It was easy to hear the traffic noise, so unless you run the fan constantly, you'll hear trucks downshifting outside your window. Ask the staff to make sure you're not facing the highway to get a better night's sleep! Also, be aware that the hotel restaurant is notoriously slow. It's a full service restaurant, not a breakfast buffet, so you'll have to place the order, etc. It can take FOREVER to get your food and then get your check afterward. The food itself was OK, but I repeatedly found myself so short on time that I had to leave much of it because I didn't have time to eat! There's a Denny's around the corner... they may be a better option.

The hotel itself was clean and safe. I thought the rooms were well maintained and everything in the room worked as expected. With a few issues, this hotel is a good option for the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you for taking time to share your feedback, I am glad to see that overall, your visit with us was a pleasant one. I will be sure to share your comments with our food and beverage team so that they can address your concerns regarding the timing of food delivery.

Thank you again, and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Greg Pike

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Almond, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

I dropped in here while traveling for business and was very pleasantly surprised! I was greeted and helped immediately, got a travelers discount, and even a free room upgrade! When I got to the room I found it very nice, clean, attractive and plenty roomy.
This hotel has every service for any kind of guest. Although I didn't use it, I checked out the watermark and thought it was great for the value of the stay!
I had breakfast in the restaurant downstairs. It was very good and I had good service from the waitress. Only recommendation would be to get her some help during busy breakfast hours.

• Stayed June 2013
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thank you very much for choosing to drop in and stay with us, we appreciate the opportunity to show you what we have to offer our guests. Our excellent customer service, clean, spacious rooms, and excellent food and beverage service are only part of what we offer. We look forward to seeing you again in the future, and maybe you can take a few turns down our water slides!

Brooklyn Park, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We planned a Saturday night stay here for 22 people, 5 families. I would say it was a good experience but not excellent.

We arrived before check in, around 2 pm to use the waterpark and 1 of the 5 rooms was ready. We used this room to get the majority of us ready and hang out at the waterpark before the rest could check in at 4 pm. The line for check in was very long at times and some in our party waited until 4:30 to check in to avoid the rush. Our last family checked in at 4:30 and the front desk commented that not all the rooms in the hotel were even ready at that point. Seems a little odd since check in is 4 pm.

Our room was spacious (2 queens) and clean, although the carpet seemed worn in our room and in the hallways on the 4th floor. One of the beds in our room was extremely squeeking, thankfully we were only there 1 night.

The waterpark was PACKED. We overheard some lifeguards saying it was sold out. While the waterpark is nice, it could use a good cleaning and more seating/tables. Our seating area in the waterpark used to be the shower area. All the kids in our party seemed to enjoy themselves (ages from 2-12) and the large hot tub was great for adults too. Our children did have some "coughing" problems from the chlorine levels in the hot tub on Sunday as a previous reviewer states. We were ready to go home at that point, so we just packed up and left. The locker rooms really need a good cleaning as well. Nothing bad, but just a little more attention is needed. We ordered 3 pizza's for our group at 5:15 on Saturday night at the waterpark food stand and they said we got the last pizza's of the night. Food was what your would expect for a waterpark, but we did enjoy they serve pitchers of beer/pop. There were also plenty of towels for use too.

Breakfast buffet Sunday was good, kids ate free, buffet was $10 for adults. Everything was hot and tasted good. Scrambled eggs, waffles, french toast sticks, fresh fruit, bacon, sausage, pastries, etc... There were some confusions with our bills, but the staff was nice about getting things sorted out. It was also nice they put our large group back in a section together.

What keeps this from an excellent rating? While the staff seemed friendly, the building itself needs some cleaning and maintance upkeep, especially in the waterpark. Some paint chipping in the waterpark area, good scrubbing of the floors and some dingy and worn carpets/floors in the hallways. Also, this is MN in the middle of winter, people want to go to a waterpark to escape it and I think a waterpark/hotel would be a little more prepared to handle being "sold out" on a Saturday.

Room Tip: If traveling with a large group, don't expect to get rooms near each other even if you request t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Amy,
Thank you very much for your review of the hotel and water park. I am happy to hear everyone had a great time and enjoyed the facilities! Our team constantly strives to make all of our guest's visits as enjoyable as possible.

I have noted your comments in reference to the cleanliness and condition of the water park and I assure you these items are being addressed. Our Spring Deep Clean is schedule to begin next week.

Thank you again for your wonderful feedback and I hope we see you again soon.

twin cities minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I did not have a chance to visit the waterpark. We had a nice corner king room on the fourth floor (an upgarde because I am a platinum Holiday Inn Priority Club member). It was nice and quiet, but the hotel was overrun with families and children. The elevator was out of service when I checked in, and we had to use the laundry elevator. All staff I passed in the hall was very pleasant and greeted me with a warm hello. Elevator was repaired the same day. Checkout was fast and efficient.

Room Tip: Corner room on the fourth floor was very quiet
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you very much for taking time to share your thoughts regarding your stay with us, we truly appreciate your loyalty and your Platinum level status. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your upgrade and that our staff was welcoming. I do apologize for the elevator situation, but the team responded quickly to get it back in service.

Thank you again!

Sioux Falls
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Staff was very friendly, greeted me by name and had my paperwork done...check in took all of 2 minutes. Spotless facility. Breakfast was very good. The server was very nice...treated me like family, and that is nice when you are on the road a lot. She provided me with a paper and coffee without being asked and seemed genuinely happy...a nice touch in just another morning on the road.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
TLK,

I appreciate you taking time out of your busy day to share your experience at the hotel. It is always great to hear that our team is meeting and exceeding our guest's expectations. We hope you will visit us again when you are in the area.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed For Easter weekend. The buffet was excellent even had a magician. The waterpark staff was excellent. The waterpark was packed. There were some bossy parents and kids around. The security guard at night was very kind. The elevator is the slowest elevator ever. The stairs are close.

• Stayed March 2013
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Rolloingteenmom - Thank you for your great feedback regarding your stay with us over the holiday weekend. It is great to hear that you enjoyed all that we have to offer! I wish we could adjust the speed on the elevators, but we are not able to do that!

Thank you again, and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

This is a newer facility that has missed the mark in several areas. With a waterpark it's a great family destination. With a waterpark it's a poor business destination. You couldn't escape the water. You'll find it even outside of the waterpark in the hallways, elevators, restrooms, etc. You'll also find bits and pieces of trash and food in the hallways, elevators, restrooms, etc. The rooms lack sound proofing. Between the Sumo wrestlers above me and herd of elephants in the hallways my stay was not restful. The very small restaurant and bar were drab and nondescript as was the food (& no free continental breakfast). The meeting facilities are amongst the hotel rooms and the elephant herds will disrupt your meeting. And pack lightly because it's a longer than usual hike from the parking lot to the lobby (no automatic opening lobby doors). Strange for a newer design hotel. From a business perspective bypass this HI. For a family fun fest, have at it. I think the great hotel staff is misplaced and belongs at a better hotel.

Room Tip: Try the top floor so you don't have to put up with noise from above.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
GPike, Manager at Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
WisconsinRanger,
I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and concerns regarding your stay. I would like to apologize that your stay was less than satisfactory. As a Spring Break destination during the month of March, you are correct, our hotel can be a very busy and exciting place for families. I was happy to read that our team did provide Great service for you, they truly do an exceptional job. Our staff also does an exceptional job of hosting meetings and other events, as I mentioned before, the Month of March can be a bit more active.

Again, I appreciate your feedback and will share your comments with our staff to see where we can improve even more.

Greg Pike

Been to Holiday Inn Minneapolis NW-Elk River? Share your experiences!