“Odor throughout...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Elk River
Seneca, Missouri
“Odor throughout...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

My husband was staying here for work and we drove up to be with him. The first thing I noticed was the smell of smoke and some other noxious scent, maybe musty? Even though all the rooms say no smoking on the 3rd floor ( where we were at) I could smell smoke and people openly smoked while walking through the halls. We had a suite which was decent, some others were bigger than ours though. Pull out couch bed in main area and king size bed in separate room was nice. Great breakfast, not overly friendly staff, big pool area with large hot tub. Fitness center was tiny with broke down treadmills... They both made weird noises and one of the belts was getting shredded on one side, dangerous! A pungent automatic spray air freshener that made it impossible to breath was another problem, I had to ask the front desk to take out the spray so I could breathe ... I wouldn't recommend for long term stay but would be tolerable for a night...

• Stayed March 2013
Cheri S, Sales Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Elk River, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Andrea,

First of all, thank you for your review and for the information that you have provided regarding your stay. We firmly believe that feedback is the only way that we can continue to improve our hotel and our guests’ experience. To address your positive feedback, thank you for the kind comments about our Be Our Guest Breakfast and the indoor pool and whirlpool area.

As for the things we can improve upon, we address any odor issues as soon as we are made aware of them. We do not allow smoking in the hallways, so I am sorry you experienced that. We are evaluating the air freshener system in the Fitness Center, and I have asked our maintenance staff to assess the treadmill. When you next visit, we hope that our facility will exceed your expectations.

Please contact me directly at the hotel if you would like to speak further about your stay.

Cheri Singleton
Sales Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I enjoyed my stay in Elk River. The service was pretty good. I enjoyed the Wi-Fi and the breakfast in the morning. I really liked that they had sugar free syrup for the waffles. I didn't have any waffles, but at least it was available for people. I would stay here again if I needed too! I slept great on the bed! Television worked great too!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Cheri S, Sales Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Elk River, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience. We are delighted that you enjoyed the room, the high-speed internet, and our Be Our Guest Breakfast. I will pass along your comments to our team.

Please “like” us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to stay informed of our upcoming specials. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Cheri Singleton, Sales Manager
CElkRiverMN@CarlsonRezidor.com
facebook.com/elkrivercountry
twitter.com/CountryInn_ELKR
Elk River, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

The room was clean and spacious. The staff downstairs was very professional and really tried to make the stay as pleasant as possible. This means allot to me as I spend allot of time on the road. This is the 2nd time with the chain in MN and both times were awesome. The other one was at Little Falls. I had the suite with separated living space and it was spacious. Breakfast was better than other hotels of equal grade.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your recent stay. We are delighted that you found the room comfortable and spacious. I will pass on your comments about the staff to our team. We are very proud of our Be Our Guest Breakfast, so we are glad you enjoyed it as well.

Cheri Singleton, Sales Manager
CElkRiverMN@CarlsonRezidor.com
facebook.com/elkrivercountry
twitter.com/CountryInn_ELKR
iron range, MN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We were guests here on the same night a wedding party was booked. We normally do not complain or let most stuff bother us. At about midnight, the wedding party came back to the hotel and turned the whole place into a giant party. They partied not only in their rooms but also in the hallways, namely in front of our room. The party didn't stop until about 4 am. Where was the hotel night worker? Why, he was right at the bottom of the stairs at the desk, which was in plain site of our door and in plain site of the people gathering in front of our door.

When we checked out in the morning, we asked for and spoke to a manager. She heard our story and shrugged her shoulders while telling us "sorry, there is nothing I can do for you". She stated the reason being that we booked our hotel on priceline. We still payed money for the room and they still received money for a room. Her attitude was that they were not responsible for a peaceful night stay since we booked third party. WOW!! How unprofessional! I would've been happy with a coupon for another night stay or even half-off my next night stay(which I probably would've never used).

Naturally, I wasn't satisfied with "sorry, there's nothing I can do for you", so I asked who I could speak with at a higher level. I was told to call back during the week and ask for Yoon, the owner and general manager. I have left several messages to call me back and nothing. Always an excuse or, "She'll call you right away". It has been over a month.

If I would've know it was going to be this terrible, my family and I would've slept in our car! The room wasn't worth one dollar to me.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Le Sueur, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I stayed on the 2nd floor. I could here every little noise from the room above. Some noises, were noises my daughter or I didn't want to be awaken too (bed shaking) also we could hear snoring in the next room. The beds were so uncomfortable, I woke up every morning with back aches. No padding on beds, felt like sleeping on springs. I couldn't wait to see my bed again. Spa was very hot it felt good and looked clean. The pool was clean also, but the steps were so slippery when you enter, that I slipped and I have a nice big bruise on my back. For the money, booking thru an internet site it was a good deal. But I would not of paid full price for this hotel. Staff was friendly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Sioux Falls, South Dakota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

We stayed two weekends in a row for business. The rooms were very clean. The staff far exceeded in professionalism and friendliness. Carol who works the front desk made our stay PERFECT. She was accommodating and super friendly. Her friendliness and smile will definately make us come back again when in the area. Their breakfast works for anyone who wants a full breakfast to those who want some yogurt and fruit. Coffee always ready. As you can see our stay far exceeded our expectations due largely to the staff who greet you to those who keep it clean.

Room Tip: If you want a fridge in your room and little extra room, the suites are nice.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Duluth, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

We have stayed at Country Inn and Suites for several years now, but they are becoming less and less desireable. This one was ok in a pinch. The carpets need cleaning in the room, bathroom was okay but black mold around bath tub grab bar, peeling wall paper and floor could use some work too. The lobby is good and breakfast was good. The pool area was clean. Staff was friendly as they seem to always be in the C & Inns. Beds were good, sheets felt clean and crisp and other linens were good. It's a convenient location. We stayed free with our points but were disappointed no microwave or frig. I guess when you use points you are suppose to expect the most basic room. However, the points as everyone knows don't come with a lot of expense so if that's their philosophy it is not a good one.

Room Tip: Look at your room carefully, especially bathroom before committing.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Elk River? Share your experiences!