“Not good.” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Kona Grill - Eden Prairie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 120 Restaurants in Eden Prairie
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Excelsior, Minnesota
“Not good.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Went here for drinks/dinner with a friend. Bar staff, mostly younger women, didn't seem interested in waiting on us. No prices listed on their drink menu for "specialty drinks". I find that so frustrating. Why not list the price??? So I have to sit there and ask the bartender what the price of all the drinks are??? She really couldn't be bothered. Then my friend ordered a Bloody Mary. The most disgusting pickle I've ever seen. Looked like they picked it off the floor after it being there for a couple of days. We got a good laugh out of using the ginormous celery stalk as a microphone. Left after my friend finished her one drink. I ended up ordering nothing...won't return.

• Visited May 2013

Grand Cayman
“Good for giraffes and navigators”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Tough to get into, and then I felt like a needed a map to get to the spare seat that, it turned out, didn't exist. The lowest signage for this place is about 20 feet off the ground, which makes sense for people 100ft away in the car park, but not for pedestrians. No greeters near the door and no obvious sense of whether you're supposed to take a seat or wait for someone.

But...once we did eventually find a seat (at the sushi bar) despite the lack of informed help, the service was friendly and engaging, and the food generously proportioned. In the cheese cake, that meant half a ton of crust, which kills both the dish and the consumer, but the sushi in particular was excellent, and I'd be very happy to go again.

Especially now that I can find my way to a seat.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Shame”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Ate here couple of times. Think the chef had a bad day: vegetables undercooked, rice over..... Shame of the good salmon.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Wow-Best that I can remember”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Traveling into the area for a birthday weekend we were recommend this restaurant by mutual friends. Every element of our experience was exceptional during our visit here. The service, selection, atmosphere, and food quality was exceptional in every regard. Our group of five(5) had a wide variety of food and drinks including appetizers all of which pleased all of us. Our server was prompt and very helpful with selections although we are fairly well-versed with this cuisine. We found the price above average, however well inline with the quality, taste, and presentation. Both raw and cooked entrees had equal levels of preference in our group and shared by all. The dinning area is modern and open that also allowed us to speak and hear freely in all areas. Although the Friday night crowd filled the venue, we received our before meal drinks quickly and pleasantly. A brief visit by a passing manager sealed our dining knowing that we were valued and our satisfaction was important. Overall, a wonderful experience that we look forward to experiencing again on our next visit to the city.

Visited March 2013
Dallas, Texas
“Good Sashimi--Troubled Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I dined here for lunch with colleagues in March 2013

I've dined at Kona Grill in other cities, and found it to always serve dependably good sushi and sashimi, and other pan-asian options for non-sushi eaters.

The food was as always, very fresh sashimi, good portions, and delicious. It was the service that killed the experience. We had a very nice waitress, who was friendly and sweet. But bless her heart, she was a train wreck. She didn't appear to have too many tables or be in the weeds due to a big party, I think she had to either be new, or just not the right person for the job.

I ordered a Yellowtail with jalapeño and ponzu, it's an entree on their sushi menu, I also ordered tuna sashimi and salmon sashimi separately, and I ordered a house side salad. She asked if I wanted it all together, and I told her I'd take the salad first, and then all the fish at once when she brought everyone elses entrees.

House side salad never showed up. The fish came out, but instead of the Yellowtail with jalapeño,it was just yellowtail sashimi. Not a huge deal, but not what I ordered.

When I pointed it out, she offered to take it back, and apologized, and then when I asked her to just delete the salad from the ticket, she realized she had made two errors, and really apologized and got a little flustered. I wasn't rude, she was too nice to be mean too, but she was out of her element to be sure.

She took the salad off the bill, and also took one of the orders of sashimi off as a make-good, which I thought was a perfect way to handle it.

Final bill was right, I gave her my card, and she brought it back, with a charge slip to sign.....that had been run for someone else's bill. It was cheaper, only $11, vs. my bill of nearly $50....so tempting to sign it and leave, but I called her over, and explained that I had gotten the wrong charge, and she apologized profusely again, and fixed it. I ended up feeling really bad for her, as she truly felt bad for the poor service.

However, I went to have a specific meal, I didn't get it, I had to micromanage the billing process, and I don't know that I'd go back. Not fair to judge a chain by one waitress.....but for this location, be aware.

Food was great though, can't say one bad thing about that!

• Visited March 2013