“Somewhat insulted!” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Devils Lake, North Dakota, United States
“Somewhat insulted!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

My husband and I came her during noon hour on Tuesday March 19th. Our waiter had no clue how to poor a drink that was on the menu and totally burnt my husbands drink. I order a drink as well and he made some type of comment about enjoy your booze when he brought us our drinks. He had no clue about the menu either. We asked him if the spinach and artichoke dip was any good. His response was I have no idea. Our food was okay. I had a caesar salad with my meal and the lettuce was starting to turn. Gross! I had the shrimp fra diavolo. It was okay. I would have preferred that they have taken the tails off the shrimp. It would have made it a little easier to eat. When our food came and it was hot which was good. The only reason we went to mamma maria's is because we had a gift certificate. I have friends that really brag this place up. But from what we could see I don't know why. Yes the food was hot and good. But there were several times during our visit I was questioning our waiter and his lack of customer service let alone his knowledge of the menu. My recommendation would be to make sure the wait staff know the food menu and bar menu. As someone who used to wait tables I was very unimpressed with our waiter. Also wait staff that make comments about the customers drink selections is very rude. When I was in college and waited tables if we said something to that affect we would have been terminated immediately. I was very disappointed with our visit. I feel bad our friend wasted money on a gift card for that crappy of service.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Can't believe I've never eaten here until now!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I spend a lot of time in the Grand Forks area and eat at many restaurants. I have always wanted to try Mamma Maria's but just always stuck to the favorites. On a date night with my husband we finally decided to try it and it was worth the wait! The food, atmosphere, and service were amazing! This now ranks up there as one of my top five restaurants. You must try it!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Babbitt, Minnesota
“Worth the stop.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

My wife and I stopped in for supper the night prior to the inaugural Grand Forks Marathon. We found the place easy enough and were seated promptly. It is a weird set up as the restaurant is part of a mall like establishment. The bathrooms are outside of the actual restaurant in the hall, but they are close enough that you can’t get lost. We started with one server and there was a mix up, so we get a different server. It didn’t really hinder our experience. The zuppa toscana wasn’t the greatest, but it really warmed us up. My wife ordered a calzone (which take a bit of time to cook) and she loved it. It is quite large, so don’t order the soup and a calzone, as my wife did, because you will end up leaving half your calzone in your hotel room. I ordered the chicken alfredo penne. It was great, perfect amount of sauce and a great amount of chicken! I didn’t really need the portion size, but it’s Italian, so you have to expect it. Overall, our experience was great. The food tasted great and the staff performed as expected. Defiantly worth the stop if you are looking for Italian in East Grand Forks.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Winnipeg, Canada
“That's Italian!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Our group recently found this restaurant on a trip to GFK. First of all, it was tricky to locate because it is kind of tucked behind some other places . The space itself at this restaurant could not really be called charming, which is too bad because really the food was amazing. We had appetizers, italian sodas (awesome) and then pasta as our meals. There were some neat options for pasta, and the Cranberry-Alfredo sauce was delicious. Likewise, the Spag and meatballs with tomato sauce was also full of flavor. Really, I think everyone in our party was pleased with what they ordered, no complaints. The Garlic knots in a basket that came before the meal were worth the trip themselves! The service was lovely, quick, and generally added to our positive experience in this restaurant. I think everyone really enjoyed their food, and the portions were so generous we had left- overs for home. I think the kids really got to experience Italian cuisine in a more genuine way than the Olive Garden, which we also do like. The prices were fair, and we all agreed that this section of GFK is something we would love to see again. There is a pretty fountain, and a bridge over the river which was a nice place to wander around after we finished eating. We will certainly go to the effort to head to this spot again next trip.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Mankato, Minnesota
“Worthless”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

Me & my GF had the lunch i thought it would be quick but it took the waiter 10mins to get to us it was dead there, we had the endless pizza & salad the salad was bland the dressing was to runny, the 1st slice we both had was great crust crispy cheese gooy sauce tasty, the 2nd order was nasty crust mushy sauce bland cheese rubbery and i had to ask for the red pepper and parm cheese

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere