“you get what you pay for.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Plaza Motel

Plaza Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in East Grand Forks
Plaza Motel
You added Plaza Motel to your Saves list
309 DeMers Ave, East Grand Forks, MN 56721   |
St Leon MB
“you get what you pay for.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We booked for two nights in February 2013. We went to a concert at the Alerus Centre. The room was very clean. It had new carpet and new beds. We booked a room with two double bed because we were sharing it with another couple. Bed was comfortable. The only thing we wished we had in the room was a coffee maker. There is no lobby, so the entrance to your room is outside. It is no Canaad Inn or any of the other new hotels , but it is half the price. The location is great just because of all of the great restaurants and bars are in close proximity. We would have no problem in staying at this motel again in the future. The staff were also very polite.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Bismarck
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

First off-I loved this motel before it got new management. The guy that used to work there was so friendly, knew my name by about the third time I stayed there--always had coffee ready in the morning, just a nice guy and the motel rooms themselves are completely fine. Nothing spectacular, but it is a good price and they are located amidst a lot of great nightlife.

Here is the reason I will never be going back:

Was going to meet up with 2 other friends (since we all live a ways away) and share one room. Called a couple weeks ago to book the reservation for this past weekend (Sept 28-30)--Gave my credit card number to hold the room. Drove four hours after work, rolled into town about 10pm when my friend called me (she had arrived before I did) and said that the motel was completely locked down and it said No Vacancy.
I called them and asked them to let my friend in the room; the lady said that there was nothing reserved under my name and that the reason for this was because they "got new management," and I "should have called to check on the room earlier." I understand that mistakes happen, but I had 2 other people depending on me, it was late, and I was not in the mood to deal with incompetence.
Here is the part that really upset me, While I was scrambling to try to find another room elsewhere, my friends had arrived and were waiting for me at the Plaza. The same lady I spoke with came out and yelled at them for waiting there. One of my friends explained that we had rooms there, but the reservation was lost and that they were just waiting for me to get there so we could figure out a Plan B. She very rudely responded with "the owners will be here soon and you can't be here," then proceeded to kick them out.

Not only was my reservation lost, but this lady had the audacity to boot my friends out on top of that while they were trying to fix the mistake SHE had created. I will never again be staying here and will be warning off all my friends as well. The service I witnessed was reprehensible and if this is any indication how the "new management" will be, I'll pass.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Fergus Falls, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I stayed at this motel with my wife as we were traveling through East Grand Forks. The motel is very nice and has an excellant staff. We were treated to coffee in the morning and had an excellant clean room. The rooms are all very nice with flat screen tv's and new carpet. This is a great place to stay if you ever visit Grand Forks or East Grand Forks

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

With taxes we paid close to $80. Dirty stained chairs in room, plastic left in bar fridge from someone before us so I assume fridge wasn`t even wiped down, bathroom dirty and falling apart, a piece of material glued on to bath mat.....how unsanitary is this! I was kept awake from someone above us who I assume was drinking all night as he was shouting......no coffee maker in room, no shampoo, coffee in office not served until 8:30 a.m. I saw they had some middle class customers but also alot of low class ones. No security after 10 p.m. when office closes. The bed itself was very comfortable. Close to many good restaurants and movie theatre. Approx 10 mins from shopping in Grand Forks. I would only use this motel if you don`t want luxury and I would never want a young lady to stay here . Bibles open in office and room may come in handy. This place needs renovations dearly and than could be recommended.

Room Tip: Make sure windows in your room are secure.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

Really appreciated my two nights at the Plaza. The room rate was excellent, clean room, nice bed, close to everything. Nice staff too.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

Paid $55 plus tax for a room for 2. What a deal. Room was remodeled, but still had some of the old 60s style. Loved the location, which is close to Cabelas and lots of eating spots; also near downtown Grand Forks. Not fancy, but good, affordable place to sleep for a night.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

This motel is clean and the staff pleasant. It's across the street for a good Thai/Asian restaurant, cabellas, and movie theater. When I stayed there the were redoing the rooms and it was 60$ a night. I would stay there again. It's not fancy but it's a good place to sleep.

• Stayed March 2011

Been to Plaza Motel? Share your experiences!