“****Brides Beware!*****” 1 of 5 stars

Eagan, Minnesota
“****Brides Beware!*****”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Check-in: Aug. 16 Thursday

This location received a "0" score because of its unsympathetic, lazy, and "whatever" attitude. I booked this hotel because I was getting married at a nearby venue. When I booked online, the check in time was 3pm. I got this hotel for my bridesmaids and I to get ready in for the rehearsal dinner and to have a place to get ready in the morning before the wedding.

However, when I got there at 4:30 p.m. the front desk informed me that the room wasn't ready for check-in (here I am with my wedding dress, piles of wedding items, and I want to get ready for the my rehearsal dinner at 6pm). The front desk clerk said, "It's not ready because you booked, like, a really big room so it's not done yet."

When I asked where I could put my wedding dress because I didn't want to leave it in the car she said "youI could put it in the luggage room if you wanted." Sorry Best Western, I am not going to leave my wedding dress in your luggage room. When I asked what time it would be done she said, "Maybe in a half hour or more." Needless to say, I had to be at my own rehearsal at 6pm and not being able to check in at my scheduled check in time seems completely bogus to me.

I felt like Best Western staff didn't seem to care and was very "whatever" about the whole situation. I don't plan on staying at any Best Westerns in the future. With many of my friends getting married in the upcoming months, you an be sure I will not recommend Best Western for any high priority accommodations they need for their events!

----
I was e-mailed later saying they were sorry about the situation, and offered me a $50.00 quote for one of their suites.

...Like I mentioned earlier, I chose this location completely based on the location because it was close to my wedding venue, and offering me the chance to pay $50.00 to stay at their hotel again hardly seems like any sort of "deal." Not impressed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Value4u, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Dakota Ridge, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Your Wedding Day is one of the most important days of your life. Knowing that we took away from this moment and didn't add to it, is simply unacceptable and embarrassing to say the least. The Bride wants perfection and the least amount of stress during a day that is stressful enough. Quite frankly we didn't recognize the situation and we deserve to be a “0” in your eyes.

I can only imagine the frustration you felt showing up at the hotel with your wedding gown in hand and not being able to check into your room...”Ridiculous”. We will never fully understand the individual challenges each and every Bride goes through while planning a wedding. I know you felt as though we didn't care and came across to you with a whatever attitude, but that is far from our intentions.

We can not apologize enough to make up for what you experienced at our hotel. I hope you believe us when we say, we wish we could start from the beginning and handle every situation differently to meet your expectations. Going forward I know it was a small gesture of compensation and we do apologize for not extending our compensation further out to show our regret in this matter. So we would like to add to it by saying, if in the future you decided to visit us again, you need only to call the hotel and we will take care of you. I respect your decision if you decided not to, but having the opportunity to win you back is a gift we would like to give you.

Respectfully yours,

Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Winnipeg, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We were checked into a room with a moisture problem. We could tell right away this is not a clean hotel after all because after our kids excitedly run and play with bare feet in the carpet after we checked in, I noticed that their feet were black and very dirty. I requested to be moved to a another room but couldn't accommodate me that day. They moved us into another room the next day. I don't like the bathroom as there were spots of mould here and there. Not a good sight!
One time during our stay, our room was missed of housekeeping and I was not very happy about that. The breakfast is ok. And when we checked out, the Front desk lady was not very pleasant to deal at all. The fitness room dowsnt have weights at all, just fyi. Cleanliness is a major factor for me in regards to hotels and this one is a no no. This would be my first and last stay here.

• Stayed August 2012
Value4u, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Dakota Ridge, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Its never easy to hear that a customer suffered less than friendly customer service nor that the cleanliness of the hotel fell short of your expectations. Never the less it is absolutely appreciated in every sense of the word. Sharing your experience with us through your eyes is critical. You have pointed out issues within the hotel, that by general standards, you should have never had an issue with. I do not blame you, in saying first and last time, I completely understand. This is our responsibility and we don't take it lightly. Knowing your perspective has helped us immensely and we can't thank you enough for sharing your experience with us. Its an opportunity for us to revisit some very important processes.

We would like to offer our apologies to you, we know you have made up your mind never to stay with us again and we respect that decision, but we believe we can do better in your eyes. Anytime you would like to come back please call us. I would value the opportunity to win your confidence back. But if you decide not to, we completely understand and support your decision. Again thank you for your comments and support in helping us achieve perfection. We can't apologize enough for letting you down.

Management
Lynn Haven, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

My family and I stayed at the Best Western plus Dakota Ridge on Aug. 8, 2012 till Aug. 13, 2012. After arriving home, I noticed my 4 years old son had bites/welts on his skin. The next day, I noticed it on my skin as well. We went to the doctor only to find out we were bitten by bed bugs. I contacted the hotel and was informed that the managers were in a meeting and for me to leave a message. I left a message informing the manager to contact me after 2pm. No one called until the next day at 12pm and left a message. I contacted the hotel after 2pm and was informed that the managers were in a meeting and someone will contact me in 15 minutes. I never received a call. I called the hotel back and was told all the managers had gone home for the day and someone will contact me. I never received a call. I contact the hotel again only to be told that all the managers were out to lunch and to call back in 30 minutes. I called back in 30 minutes and the phone goes straight to voicemail. Finally after continues calls, I spoke to the OWNER Matthew about the bed bug issue. I informed Matthew that I did not want my money back for staying in the hotel but I would like them to pay the pest control bill (if any) because the inspection to determine if I transported bed bug to my home is free. In a nutshell, Matthew gave me the history of bed bugs and pretty much said that it is not HIS Best Westerns fault that we were bitten by bed bugs, but he understands. Mr. Matthew also stated that he cannot control what other visitors bring into the hotel. So, in other words, it was my families fault for choosing to stay in Best Western plus Dakota Ridge. People please research the hotels that you stay in because this is unacceptable and again Matthew the OWNER of Best Western plus Dakota Rigde I wish you the best luck in your business. :)

Room Tip: BED BUGS! Avoid at all cost! Pay a little more and stay else where, because I will hate for the OWNE...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bed Bugs!!!..the unwanted and uninvited guest for all hotels. Its is always a stressful feeling of hopelessness felt by all hoteliers when they learn that an unwanted guest has made its way into the hotel. For all those who travel, we not only apologize for having to deal with this “pest” but we wanted to make sure you know the facts concerning Bed bugs. Bed bugs are mobile, meaning they go where your luggage goes and sometimes hitch a ride on peoples clothing to get to there final destination. By no means is it a cleanliness issue in the hotel nor do they just appear, they must be brought into the hotel. For the customers view point, we agree, there is nothing more disgusting or create emotion in a person than having been exposed to this “pest”. Its a topic we never want to hear, but we must address and make sure our customers are aware that we hoteliers are doing everything in our power to eliminated the possibility any of having unwanted company join them in their room. Routine daily inspections and deep cleaning process give us the insurance we are doing everything we can to prevent this from happening. The good news, in this unfortunate situation, is if discovered, there is a 100% cure of riding them forever from that room. Years ago, it was a guess and a hope that you cured the problem. We are happy to say with todays technology...They are eliminated!! We can't stress enough how horrible we feel that any customer has been visited by this unwanted guest and had to deal with this. It truly a helpless feeling and we know no matter what it is a reflection of us, because after all they are in our hotel. We only hope we never get visited by this unwanted pest again. We can't put into words the regrets we feel a situation like this has happened. We are thankful for every comment and concern our customers bring to our attention as it is an opportunity for us to examine and be reminded that these issues are real and to be very sensitive to them.

Sincerely
Management
Aberdeen, South Dakota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

I stayed there for the third time July 28th and I am sorry to report I am no longer a fan. On my previous visits, I was apparently fortunate enough to have vacant rooms next to mine. This was not the case this time around. The fun began at about 1:30 a.m. when I was awakened by the amorous activities in the next room. Had they been especially loud I would have notified the front desk, however, it was clear that these were at a normal decibel level; with walls that thin, they might as well have been in my own room, given the clarity of the sounds.

The next surprise occurred when I stepped into the shower the following morning and saw that I was leaving black footprints in the tub from walking barefoot in the room. Just to verify that it was not something I had brought in from outside, I took a clean towel and rubbed it on the carpet. The towel was equally black. I shuddered and silently praised my earlier decision not to get down on the floor to do stretching and limbering exercises. Yuk!

So, if the dirt doesn't deter you (as it would me), I'd advise that you not make an advance reservation, but check to see how full the parking lot is and ask for a room without neighbors.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Appleton, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night as we had an early flight out of Minneapolis. Check in was quick and the room was clean and comfortable. There were quite a few dining and shopping choices close to the hotel. Can't comment on breakfast as we left before it was set up. The airport shuttle was quick and reliable both to and from the airport.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
We appreciate your comments and we are happy to hear that your check in process was quick and the room was comfortable. We are always trying to make your out-of-town travels easy by offering the Park N Fly package with our 24-hour shuttle service. We hope Dakota Ridge will be your choice the next trip you decide to take or if you just need a weekend of relaxation.
Thunder Bay, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

We stayed two nights this hotel while on vacation to mall of america. A little out of the way from any restaurants. The room was extremely generous in size, however, we requested that the bedding be changed between nights and we received dirty bedding. We went back to the hotel at around 3 pm on our second night and our room had still not been cleaned. The absolute worse was the fact on the morning we were going to check out, we went down for breakfast and they had run out of eggs, sausage, yougert, cream cheese, bagels, fruit, and the orange juice was frozen in the machine. One of the main reasons we stayed here was because we enjoy a light breakfast in the morning, unfortunately, the breakfast that morning was extremely light. I inquired at the desk, and she said that they were running low on breakfast items the day before and that they don't order product every day. Not extremely helpful. The girls response was to make a complaint with trip advisor. Good way to handle things in house. Oh ya, and if you have kids there is no pool for them.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Maple,Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Stayed 4 nights. We had problem in our 1st room (No cool air from A/C). The 2nd room provided had moisture problem from the AC and the bathroom exhaust was not working. They have a 2 day cycle breakfast, by 3rd day, it was already a repeat from the 1st day. It's a good hotel for a couple of nights but that's it. Some of the female front desks were not friendly. Adam and Andrew, I believe were friendlier.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Dakota Ridge? Share your experiences!