“No Apologies Offered” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Country Inn & Suites Eagan

Save Saved
You added Country Inn & Suites Eagan to your Saves list
Country Inn & Suites Eagan
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3035 Holiday Lane, Lone Oak Rd & Hwy 55, Eagan, MN 55121   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Book early and Save 15%
Ranked #10 of 15 hotels in Eagan
Wisconsin
“No Apologies Offered”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

We stayed at this location for two nights. We had booked our rooms through a special promotion that I received via email as a Gold Points member. When we made the reservation, we asked about the chance of an upgrade, and were told to be sure to ask as the hotel had ample rooms available that weekend. Upon check-in, we were greeted by a very nice young lady, who was in training, and the experienced desk clerk. The trainee, a very friendly and welcoming person, began our check-in process, but when I asked about the chances of getting an upgrade, she asked if we would mind waiting a moment because she had never done one. When she turned us over to the experienced clerk, she told him we had asked about an upgrade and he said, "That shouldn't be a problem, let's get you checked in." After giving our name, the first question we were asked by the experienced desk clerk was, "So you're with Access Development?" to which I responded no. Next question, asked rudely, "Well then why does it say that on your reservation?" Realizing what Access Development was, I explained to the experienced clerk that I had made the reservations through a special promotion that I received via email as a Gold Points member. Next question, asked even more rudely, "How did you do that, we aren't Access Development?" I again pointed out that I made the reservation through a special promotion that I received via email as a GoldPoints member and added that I had done so through the 800 number and maybe he should call them and check on it. I think at this time the experienced clerk realized what was going on and checked us in. I don't know what his problem was, why he grew increasingly rude with us. Everyone in our party was very friendly and kind toward both desk clerks, so his rudeness toward us was certainly not deserved. I asked again about an upgrade. Experienced clerk told me that at this extremely low rate...(35% off) there was no way he could possibly give us an upgrade. I then commented that the agent who made our reservation had told us to ask about an upgrade at check-in and never said anything about the rate excluding upgrades. Experienced clerk then said, "Well there's no way I can give you an upgrade when that's the rate you're paying." I asked if we could at least be close or in an adjoining room to the other party we were traveling with. We were told they had no adjoining rooms available, but we could be on the same floor. We finished the check-in process. I thanked the clerk for his time, wished the trainee well in her new job and headed to our room. Upon entering our room, we were surprised at how dark, stuffy, and uninviting it was. As I checked out the room before we took anything off the cart...as I always do....I noticed a dirty towel hanging on the tub faucet. Wanting to give the hotel the benefit of the doubt, I called down to the front desk and asked if there should be a towel hanging on the tub faucet. Experienced clerk told me yes. I clarified my question and asked more specifically, " There is what looks like a dirty towel hanging on the tub faucet. I have never seen one there in any other hotel we have ever stayed at. Is it supposed to be there or did housekeeping miss it?" Angrily, experienced clerk told me no, it shouldn't be there. I requested a different room because I didn't feel comfortable in that room, and was told to come back to the front desk. When I arrived at the front desk I apologized for the inconvenience and joked with the clerks about it. When I got back upstairs, experienced clerk had put us in a ridiculously small room, at least 2/3 the size of the one we had been in. You could barely walk around the beds and we didn't even have room to pull the luggage cart near the bed. On top of that, the white comforters were covered in yellow stains and absolutely disgusting. I can't believe anyone would find that acceptable. At this point I was ready to blow. Another member of our party went back to the front desk to request a room change to which experienced clerk replied, " This is the going to be the last time I'm moving you! So are they up there dirtying up the room or will I be able to resell it!?" Our third room was the same size as our original room, but still dark, stuffy, and uninviting. The comforters were cleaner, but still stained. I called down to the front desk and thanked the experienced clerk for the room and again apologized for the inconvenience. I also told him that we left the other two rooms exactly as we had found them. All we did was wait in the entry area, but I would be happy to go with him if he wanted to check them out to see if he could resell them. He laughed and said there was no need. I should point out not once, did he ever apologize to me for the nastiness at check-in, the dirty towel, the downgraded room, or the hassle of moving three times! He never, ever apologized for anything! I would also like to point out that the other party we were traveling with was put in one room of a set of adjoining rooms, and no one ever stayed in the other adjoining room throughout our stay. The stained comforters and rude clerk were not the only drawbacks of this hotel. The air blew out warm and the fan setting did not work. To bring fresh air into the room, we had to open the window. Finally the next morning, a small amount of cool air was coming out of the air conditioner, so we left it on to maintain the temperature of the room. When we returned that night, housekeeping had turned the heat on high and had turned the thermostat all the way to the hottest setting possible! WHY!!!!! I also want to warn about the mold and dirt on the drapes, the peeling wallpaper, and the dirty walls. I do want to add though that the beds were comfortable and the breakfast attendant was amazing! She was hardworking, extremely friendly and she did an excellent job keeping the breakfast items stocked and the breakfast area clean. We also found the morning desk clerk, Travis, to be very helpful and friendly. My recommendation is to avoid this hotel. The negatives far outweigh any positives. We enjoy staying in Eagan whenever we travel to the Twin Cities and have stayed at many hotels there. If you're planning to stay in Eagan, there are far nicer hotels to choose from.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

96 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

Two nights full of minor and major complaints in a King Suite room.
After our first night, the bed was extremely hard and the cracked ceiling in the bathroom dripped water on our heads. The staff (including assistant manager) were baffled at our discovery, but offered to switch our room. I asked if the beds were different in different rooms and they answered they were all the same. They then offered to put another pillow cover on our bed. (not sure if this would do any good) My finace convinced me to stay due to travel time and we were disappointing again.
The following night we wanted to relax and watch a new movie we had just bought, but the DVD player in the room didn't work. The front desk didn't have any spare and said all the rooms were booked so they can't take one from another room. (by the way the extra pillow topper didn't help the hard bed)

To top the weekend off, we were awaken by someone with a key card unlocking the deadbolt and opening the door to get into our room at 7:30 am Sunday morning (I luckily put the door stop on to prevent anyone from entering while we were sleeping, thank God.) We called the front desk immediately and asked if there was any reason someone would try to enter our room at 7:30 am and they said it might have been a cleaning person thinking we had checked out. (by the way check out is at 12:00pm for this hotel and we were informed the night before that all rooms were booked). At the front desk, we asked about it again and they said all the staff who had keys did not try to enter our room. This of course raised my concern because,if it wasn't staff, then who was it.

... after all this was presented to the clerk, we waited over 2 hours for them to contact a manager while they continuously asked if we would like to leave and they would call us. After the Policeman showed up, due to my concern of break-ins, they finally reached the manager on the phone, used a door scanner that didn't work (showed times of scan only not times of entry - confirmed by policeman), told us sorry, ran our cc for around $250.00 (2 nights king suite) and ASKED us to leave. When i said sorry wasn't good enough, they said I was trying to manipulate them and TOLD us to leave.... (we wanted to stay downtown St. Paul for the concert, but all hotels were booked bc of the concert, tournament, and Winter festival.) (I will never plan late again.)

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Tagalong48
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

This was a very clean and updated hotel. We did have problems with very loud music coming from the next room. One call to the front office and it was taken care of immediately! This location was very close to the airport!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

Only a couple issues - Our bathroom had mold up on the ceiling because the exhaust fan didn't work and evidently hadn't worked for awhile. I called down and they had someone right away clean it with bleach, but couldn't get someone to fix the exhaust fan right away which is understandable. Also, one of the hot tubs wasn't working and the other one took 4 hours to heat up. The pool was a little chilly which is good in the summer time, but not in the fall. The pillows were too soft. Otherwise, the shuttle took you to and from the Mall of America which was only 4 miles away, they had a great breakfast, wonderful beds and great staff. Right next to a McDonalds too for the kids.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Blue Earth, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

My husband, myself, and our 8 month old son stayed at this property for three nights at the end of August 2010. We had a 30% off deal that we used.

Starting with the good things first, the room was large and clean, the microwave and refridgerator were nice for preparing and storing our son's meals. The breakfast area near the lobby was clean, filled with numerous items, and the gal working all the mornings we were there was very pleasant. There was a high-chair also - which was nice for our son. The hotel is close to a couple of different major highways and interstates - getting to St. Paul only took about 20 minutes, as did the Mall of America.

For the bad things, our room was either really cold or really stuffy. We never could get the temperature just right. The free wireless internet worked great on my laptop, but never worked for my husband, even after the front desk reset the internet for him. There was no bath-tub for our son (just a shower in the bathroom)...we had to make a really quick run to Walmart for a rubbermaid container so he could take a bath. The pool area was cold...both the room and the actual pool. There was also a pillar/decor type thing in our room, that looked like had it had broken and the repair job was less than pleasing to the eye. There was also the parking lot lights that seemed to creep through th curtains no matter how much we tried to overlap them.

Overall, for the price ($84/night) it was an okay stay. However, it definitely hasn't been added to our favorite places to stay list.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Kentfield, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

This a nice property pretty much out in the middle of no where unless you have a car. Called from the airport and you must use a public telephone as this property is not listed on the complimentary hotel phone board near the shuttle area, and about 10/15 minutes later a courtesy shuttle arrived. Check-in was fairly quick and room was average, free wifi, older model TV, decent bed, and clean bathroom, small fridge and microwave, there is also an indoor swimming pool. Breadfast was included, the usual fare, waffles, fruit, cereal, juice etc. The only place to get something to eat is at the McDonalds located nest door unless you have a car or you can walk to a small mall about 10/15 minutes away. The hotel shuttle driver offered me a ride but declined. There is a free shuttle to the Mall of America for those that don't with to drive or are without a car, but without a car I would suggest staying closer in, even though it will more than likely be more money. The shuttle stops running a 11pm so if you arrive at the airport after that time you will need to take a taxi which I was informed would be around $20.00.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Rapid City, SD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2010

Our stay at Country Inn and Suites in Eagan, MN was a very pleasurable one. The staff literally went out of their way to make our three-day stay a great experience.
We rented a basic room with two queen beds. We took advantage of a "buy two nights, stay a third night for free" promotion, significantly reducing our cost for lodging. The internet worked perfectly and the business center allowed us to print an online coupon for dinner. The shuttle service was great, providing us an easy way to travel to the Mall of America within 15 minutes.
Having an eye for such things, I did notice their foundation has shifted slightly, causing the wallpaper to warp at the corner of the room. While this is not serious enough to warrant a complaint, it is the only remotely negative observation I have.
Overall, a very pleasurable stay in a nice location. I would highly recommend this establishment to any traveler looking for a nice, valuable stay.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
TJFREY, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Eagan, responded to this review, April 30, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write and telling us about your trip to the Eagan area. I always enjoy hearing about our guest's great experiences, and am glad our wonderful staff was able to make your stay even more pleasurable. Thanks again, and we look foward to seeing you again if you travel to the Eagan area.

Been to Country Inn & Suites Eagan? Share your experiences!