“Chips and Salsa” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Burnsville, Minnesota
“Chips and Salsa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

My friends and my family refer to this place as "Chips and Salsa" because that is the whole reason to come to this restaurant. It is so good i think about it for days. I am not a big fan of the other food. I usually just get the rice and beans to go with my chips and salsa. One time I got a burrito and it was the size of a small baby. The staff are very nice and they take your order without writing it down and alway get it right. That alway impresses me.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Eagan, Minnesota
“Worst Mexican Food EVER!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

If you like ground beef inside a tortilla shell with tomato soup poured on this is the place you! Worst/bland food I've ever eaten, will NEVER go back. Even the strawberry margaritas where nothing to write about. You want real Mexican food head over to El Burrito Mercado on Cesar Chavez in St. Paul!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Soke-on-Trent
“Excellent Mexican Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Came here with friends while on my USA road trip. very nice place, food is excellent and good value prices. Good friendly service, very efficient. Gets my vote anytime.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Twin Cities, MN
“Doing something right.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

We've been going to El Loro since they opened their first joint in Savage, MN. Now they have places all over the southern metro area. The Eagan location took over a space in a strip mall that started out as a PDQ gas station and saw a bunch of restaurants open and close. El Loro has been there now for years so they must be doing something right.

We got there at the end of the lunch hour on a Thursday. The place was not busy and the service was attentive.

The ambiance is hokey. Flat walls painted to look like adobe plaster and stone. Cheap "starving artist sale" paintings and murals also adorn the walls. Then there's the life size cardboard cutout of the Dos Equis "Most Interesting Man in the World" in the restaurant. There's a second one in the bar next to the life size cardboard cutout of the super hot, scantily clad and expertly airbrushed "Chica Tecate" (Tecate girl).

The food is the reason to go here. They do put a gringo twist on some of these dishes to appease the less authentically adventurous in the crowd, but most of these dishes taste like they were the cook's grandmother's recipe. The complimentary chips and salsa are addicting and often times you are full by the time your meal arrives. I've been to Mexico many times and I've eaten in private homes and at local dives that have served food very much like El Loro.

On this occasion, I had the Chilaquiles with chicken. Shredded white meat chicken with chips, chilaquiles sauce and melted cheese. Rice or beans, guacamole, lettuce, pico de gallo and sour cream come on the side. If you nix the sour cream, you get an authentic Mexican dish just the way it's served in Mexico.

The Tequila selection is better than your average Minnesota bar but a bit of a disappointment for a Mexican place. Fortunately for me, they have one of my favorites, Cazadores.

Portion sizes are generous and prices are reasonable. While the food here merits a "very good" rating, the overall rating is "average" because of the hokey decor and because of cleanliness issues. What comes out of the kitchen is clean and you need not worry about food born illness from eating here, we did notice that there were specks of dried food stuck to the wall at our booth and the next booth.

• Visited March 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Eagan, MN
“Service OK, food bland”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Got our chips and salsa, bland. Asked for a spicy salsa and was given a dish of chopped jalapenos. Didn't use them on the chips, but did use them on my enchiladas which were rather tasteless. Did ask for chicken enchiladas, and got beef, but as soon as I mentioned to our waiter, he immediately put in my chicken order which was delivered immediately. Not much ambiance in the restaurant - too bright. Wouldn't go back. I like my Mexican food more spicy and more flavorful. Service was great when I received the wrong order, but our waiter never smiled - seemed rather grumpy.

• Visited December 2013