“Fabulous, veg-friendly B&B! Deifnitely recommended!” 5 of 5 stars

Breakfast Delivery!
Ranked #1 of 11 Duluth B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Minneapolis, MN
“Fabulous, veg-friendly B&B! Deifnitely recommended!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2009

Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous! I'd truly give them a million stars if I could.

Adorable rooms, great location, and the nicest innkeepers I have ever met. The A.G. Thomson House consists of 4 rooms in the main house, and then 3 rooms in the carriage house (right next door, next to the driveway). All the rooms are beautifully decorated, very clean, and have fireplaces. They also have lovely, big whirlpool tubs right in the room! The "common" areas (dining room, sun porch, living room) are also gorgeous, and really cozy.

As I said, the innkeepers are amazing. Tim & Angie Allen are so friendly & helpful, and they really take pride in providing their guests with a relaxing, romantic weekend. They offer free wine in the evenings, and they have a movie closet with tons of DVDs that all guests are welcome to bring back to their rooms & watch on their flat screen TVs. They also have TONS of books in the living room/library area, which made for fun reading during morning coffee or downtime in the afternoons. Angie & Tim did a lot of visiting & chatting with us, as well, and it was fun to get to know them.

My boyfriend & I arrived in our room to find complimentary truffles & champagne, and the inn provided us with a $50 gift certificate to the restaurant of our choice (out of 4 options). Wow!

One of the best parts of staying here were the breakfasts! These were not boring "continental" breakfasts by any stretch. Over the two mornings we were there, Angie served the guests wild rice quiche, fruit & yogurt parfaits, cranberry & white chocolate scones, French toast, roasted baby potatoes, pumpkin chocolate chip muffins, and probably a few other delicious things I am forgetting... One very important thing to note: As vegans, my boyfriend & I were nervous about getting a good breakfast at a B&B. However, Angie & Tim were more than accommodating, and Angie said she actually welcomed the challenge of making vegan food for us. Throughout the weekend, we were served an AMAZING tomato & basil tofu scramble, vegan muffins, vegan French toast, roasted potatoes, and fruit salads. They even had soymilk for our coffee. We could tell that it was really important to Angie that we enjoyed our food - and we did!

I absolutely prefer staying in B&Bs over hotels. I mean, it's nice to get away & stay anywhere (B&B or hotel), but bed & breakfasts tend to add those special touches that really add to the trip. We never would have gotten this special treatment at a hotel! Sometimes B&Bs are a little more expensive, but you can certainly get good deals! We chose to visit the A.G. Thomson House during the "low season" when rates are lower, plus they were advertising a special of 10% off their rooms. In addition to that, we got a free dinner certificate, free FANCY breakfasts, free champagne, free wine, and a cozy, unique room.

Need I go on? This place is amazing, and we will definitely be back! Hopefully sooner rather than later!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
agt2007, Owner at A.G. Thomson House: Historic Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, April 25, 2009
You guys are fantastic! Thank you so much for your review on Trip Advisor and on Yelp, and for your journal entry in your room! I am loving searching for more Vegan recipes!! See you again soon!

534 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
St. Cloud
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2009

Tim & Angie's warm hospitality and exceptional breakfast is second to none.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Twin Cities, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2009

I suprised my husband with a stay at the A.G. Thompson House for his 40th Birthday, and we couldn't have been happier with our stay! This was our first time staying in a B&B, and we are hooked. We stayed in the Lake Superior Suite which was beautiful, but toured all of the rooms and would have been happy staying in any of the other rooms as well. All of the rooms are tastefully decorated (not foo-fooey) and have a large whirlpool tub to relax or bathe in. Many other reviews have stated that the breakfasts are to die for, and we have to agree...absolutely delicious!!! We would take a trip back up there just for the breakfasts, they are so yummy. And we didn't even bother with lunch either day because they were so filling. Excellent! They also provide you with free DVD's to watch, soda, snacks and games to use any time. So whether you are 1st timers like we were or seasoned B&Bers, don't look anywhere else but the A.G. Thompson house for your stay in Duluth or Superior.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
agt2007, Owner at A.G. Thomson House: Historic Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, April 15, 2009
It was such a pleasure for us to be a part of celebrating this wonderful birthday milestone! Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us; we hope to be a part of future celebrations!
Saint Paul
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2009

When I think of the AG Thomson house I first think of the two owners and caretakers Angie and Tim. Immediately upon arrival we were greeted with open arms. They take us into the beautiful house and show us the living room dining room and foyer, all of which are breathtakingly decorated with a sprinkling of antiques. A large fireplace warms the living room where on many nights me and my wife have sat and talked to the other guests over glasses of complimentary wine. Every room has its own individual personality and charm that it is hard to choose a favorite, but if I had to I would say the Ryerson or the Lake Superior Suite. After sleeping in a gorgeous bed getting the best nights sleep I've ever had away from home you are tempted by the promise of a delicious breakfast hand crafted by Angie. The breakfast is truly a feast consisting of at least 3 courses. My personal favorites are the fresh fruit parfaits, wild rice quiche, and wild rice patties. This whole experience is made all the better by the always warm and comforting personalities of Tim and Angie. I would recommend this B&B to all of my friends and I would guarantee they couldn't have a better time anywhere else.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
agt2007, Owner at A.G. Thomson House: Historic Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, April 14, 2009
We can't thank you enough for such kind words!! As always, we are humbled and very appreciative!
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

Tim and Angie were great to us. We were welcomed very nicely. The whole atmosphere was absolutely wonderful. We have never stayed in a bed and breakfast before, and we have to say that this was the best experience that we could ever imagine. It was the best thing ever,that we will be planning to visit again. How could we not, definitely this our spot to stay from now on when we visit Duluth.

Dresser Wi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2009

We thouroghly enjoyed our stay. We were impressed by how we felt at home. The service was wonderful. The rooms were romantic and lavishly decorated. A perfect get away location. The Houses' history made for interesting conversation. And the Owners treated us as Family. The food was amazing!!! We will definately be going back.

jlp75
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2009

Words can't describe our wonderful experience at the AG Thomson House. The rooms were gorgeous, but very comfortable. Every detail was covered from the complimentary wine, to the breakfast, to the fireplace in our room, to the homemade cookies in the middle of the afternoon. I felt like royalty staying at the AG Thomson House. The breakfast was wonderful, it was like being served at a gourmet restaurant except in the comfort of a beautiful home setting. The owners Angie and Tim, treated us not like guests but like friends. It was the most enjoyable weekend we have ever had and we plan to return in the future. I would recommend it highly to anyone!!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to A.G. Thomson House: Historic Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!