“5-yr Anniversary - Definitely Recommend” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
$60 off your stay!
Ranked #1 of 11 Duluth B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
“5-yr Anniversary - Definitely Recommend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We've stayed at various B&B's throughout MN. This is by far the best to date. Will definitely be returning. The food was exceptional and the little touches (i.e. coffee/tea, wine, cookies, privacy, property) do not go unnoticed.

Matt+Taylor

Room Tip: Stayed in the Hewitt Room (Balcony was great but partial views were not really there as advertised).

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Ramsey, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We will be going back in the future, I will have to say it is waaaaay better then going anywhere else. We absolutly loved this amazing place. This history to this place is phenomenal! The food is absolutely delicious, off course I could not finish it all because you get a lot of food. Thank you soooo very much Tim and Angie for allowing use to stay at your beautiful home!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Mayors harbor room and it was very comfortable!

Becker, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Lovely home, beautiful grounds, and awesome hosts. We love it here.
Tim and Angie work very hard at making your stay as special as they can.
Breakfasts are incredible and flavorful. Fresh homemade cookies and coffee always available.
We try to spend as much time at the Inn, but it is never enough. It is just so tranquil and peaceful. Great place to spend a romantic getaway or just a quiet getaway from the kids!
Thank you!

Room Tip: We love the room with the private balcony. We sit outside and have our meals. Or relax and read.
edina, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

We have stayed at AG Thompson house about 5 times in the past 6-8 years. Every time it is fabulous and exceeds my expectations (which is odd because you'd think I'd know what to expect by now). However, I think the secret is that each year something is new and improved. They keep it so fresh. It's very quiet though always booked. The gardens are exquisite, the house very quiet and private yet warm and inviting. Angie and Tim are perfect host couple - they are available and welcoming but never linger or too imposing/chatty like some B&B hosts at other places we've stayed. If you have any doubts about visiting here, take my word - you won't regret it. My only advice is to not over schedule your time in Duluth (we did that the first few times). You should make sure to have time to read the newspapers out on the front patio, or enjoy sunset in the gazebo. I love to sit in the main floor sun room in the morning and read while having (really good!) coffee. They have a HUGE movie collection. They provide list of places to eat in town. It's fun to hike around the neighborhood, too. So many pretty houses.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice. We also get a king bed so make sure to look at and see what the room offers...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

AGTDuluth, Owner at A G Thomson House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Thank you - you two are just so awesome! We are so happy you enjoy coming back, and we will continue to keep things fresh and new - there is ALWAYS something to improve upon and we know it!! We will look forward to seeing you again...maybe over the holiday season?? (:
Mankato
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

My husband and i had so much fun on our trip to Duluth. This bed and breakfast cant be beat! Definitely the best place we have stayed at ever. The food was delicious and our room was perfect. We will be back :) The house is beautiful and decorated perfectly....and most important very clean. The bed was more comfortable than my own bed. We will never stay anywhere else when we go to Duluth. I cannot say enough good things about this place. Thanks Tim and Angie for the perfect weekend.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
AGTDuluth, Owner at A G Thomson House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Thanks so much, Jakki! We are so happy you had a great time - stormy weather and all! We loved your attitude and energy about it all; you two are wonderful! We will look forward to seeing you again!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

The best experience I have ever had away from home. Tim and Angie know how to run a business efficiently and make every guest feel special. We stayed for our honeymoon. Couldn't have asked for more. I will remember it always. They even let us tour some empty rooms. All are fantastic. We will be booking again soon. Duluth just became my favorite place to vacation.

• Stayed June 2014
Washburn, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Everything was just right. From the moment we arrived and Tim greeted us as warmly and casually as if we were old friends, our first stay at AG Thompson house was absolutely perfect (and as it turns out, truly unforgettable). My sweetheart, Tony brought me there for my birthday. We live only an hour away, but it was far enough to feel as though we were on a real vacation. And even though the house is in a residential neighborhood, it felt like an oasis. The gardens were overflowing with gorgeous, fresh flowers and whimsical flying pig statutes were a delight to spot, tucked in between the pots. We were oriented to the house, outdoor space and all the amenities when we arrived, and then shown to our room. We stayed in the Master’s Quarters in the main house; a warm and cozy room which I chose because of the perfect combination of a grand looking bed, a two person hot tub Jacuzzi and traditional looking fireplace. This was the nursery in the original home, and I found myself thinking of the children that once stayed there, and how that fireplace would have kept them cozy in the dark winter months. Fortunately for us, it was a cool, spring evening, so a little fire felt just right. Once we got settled in our room, Tony told me had a surprise for me. He brought me over to the side of the bed, got down on one knee and (yes, you can imagine what happened next) asked me if I would do him the honor of making him my husband. Overjoyed, I hugged him, buried my head in his neck and nodded, making happy sounds… which in my head sounded like a resounding “Yes, of course!” but didn’t quite make it out of my mouth. So he had to ask, “was that a yes?” Laughing, I said “YES!”, so he could hear. I’m so glad he asked me early in our stay, because for the next eighteen hours, we enjoyed our stay as brand new fiancés. I will never forget how sweet, special and comfortable the rest of our time was. We enjoyed our beautiful room before heading to our new favorite restaurant, the New Scenic Café, just a (gorgeous) fifteen-minute drive north of the Inn. It was foggy that evening, which added to the dream like quality of our evening. We sat next to an older couple that told us they were camping and came in after several days of rain. They had been married for 49 years, and were so happy for our engagement (and tickled to be the first ones to know!). I noticed that they held hands over the table and called each other “sweetie”. Tony and I look forward to being so in love after decades of marriage, and took this as a good omen. After returning back to the A.G. Thomson house, we walked down to the gently lit gazebo filled with flowers, and called our dear friend who had introduced a year and a half earlier to thank her, and give her the news first. Then we enjoyed a relaxing and romantic evening in our beautiful room, and fell asleep to the sound of gentle rain.
Waking up the next morning, I felt blessed knowing it was the best birthday of my life. With my fiancé next to me, birds singing outside and several more hours in this lovely place, I couldn’t have been happier. He brought me delicious coffee in bed, where we sat and talked before getting up to have our breakfast. It was brought up to our room and set outside the door in a big basket. It was the most delicious breakfast I can remember, and we didn’t even have to leave our room! We set it up at the little table by our window and enjoyed the cold mango soup, sweet potato pancakes and mini quiche with fresh herbs from the garden. It was amazing. Tony laid back down for a morning nap and I sat in the armchair by the fire to write about our very special time there. We were there for less than 24 hours, but it felt like a week. It really was as if we had slipped into a dream. Our engagement is what made it unforgettable and magical, and the setting is what made everything just right. Angie was there in the morning to send us off and help us buy our keepsake ceramic mugs. She wished me a happy birthday, and was thrilled to be the second one to know that Tony had proposed! She gave us both a big hug and was kind enough to take engagement photos of us in the gardens.
I truly cannot think of a better place to share such special moments, or to return to for many, many more years to come.

Room Tip: Master's quarters was marvelous
Green Features: The Inn seemed to be very environmentally friendly.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing our Inn and allowing us to be a part of this wonderful time in your lives! We wish you the very best, and hope you will stay in touch!! Happy Wedding planning!!

Been to A G Thomson House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!