“It can't get any better than this!” 5 of 5 stars

Breakfast Delivery!
Ranked #1 of 11 Duluth B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Becker, Minnesota
“It can't get any better than this!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Lovely home, beautiful grounds, and awesome hosts. We love it here.
Tim and Angie work very hard at making your stay as special as they can.
Breakfasts are incredible and flavorful. Fresh homemade cookies and coffee always available.
We try to spend as much time at the Inn, but it is never enough. It is just so tranquil and peaceful. Great place to spend a romantic getaway or just a quiet getaway from the kids!
Thank you!

Room Tip: We love the room with the private balcony. We sit outside and have our meals. Or relax and read.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

522 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
edina, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We have stayed at AG Thompson house about 5 times in the past 6-8 years. Every time it is fabulous and exceeds my expectations (which is odd because you'd think I'd know what to expect by now). However, I think the secret is that each year something is new and improved. They keep it so fresh. It's very quiet though always booked. The gardens are exquisite, the house very quiet and private yet warm and inviting. Angie and Tim are perfect host couple - they are available and welcoming but never linger or too imposing/chatty like some B&B hosts at other places we've stayed. If you have any doubts about visiting here, take my word - you won't regret it. My only advice is to not over schedule your time in Duluth (we did that the first few times). You should make sure to have time to read the newspapers out on the front patio, or enjoy sunset in the gazebo. I love to sit in the main floor sun room in the morning and read while having (really good!) coffee. They have a HUGE movie collection. They provide list of places to eat in town. It's fun to hike around the neighborhood, too. So many pretty houses.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice. We also get a king bed so make sure to look at and see what the room offers...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

AGTDuluth, Owner at A.G. Thomson House: Historic Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Thank you - you two are just so awesome! We are so happy you enjoy coming back, and we will continue to keep things fresh and new - there is ALWAYS something to improve upon and we know it!! We will look forward to seeing you again...maybe over the holiday season?? (:
Mankato
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My husband and i had so much fun on our trip to Duluth. This bed and breakfast cant be beat! Definitely the best place we have stayed at ever. The food was delicious and our room was perfect. We will be back :) The house is beautiful and decorated perfectly....and most important very clean. The bed was more comfortable than my own bed. We will never stay anywhere else when we go to Duluth. I cannot say enough good things about this place. Thanks Tim and Angie for the perfect weekend.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much, Jakki! We are so happy you had a great time - stormy weather and all! We loved your attitude and energy about it all; you two are wonderful! We will look forward to seeing you again!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The best experience I have ever had away from home. Tim and Angie know how to run a business efficiently and make every guest feel special. We stayed for our honeymoon. Couldn't have asked for more. I will remember it always. They even let us tour some empty rooms. All are fantastic. We will be booking again soon. Duluth just became my favorite place to vacation.

• Stayed June 2014
Washburn, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Everything was just right. From the moment we arrived and Tim greeted us as warmly and casually as if we were old friends, our first stay at AG Thompson house was absolutely perfect (and as it turns out, truly unforgettable). My sweetheart, Tony brought me there for my birthday. We live only an hour away, but it was far enough to feel as though we were on a real vacation. And even though the house is in a residential neighborhood, it felt like an oasis. The gardens were overflowing with gorgeous, fresh flowers and whimsical flying pig statutes were a delight to spot, tucked in between the pots. We were oriented to the house, outdoor space and all the amenities when we arrived, and then shown to our room. We stayed in the Master’s Quarters in the main house; a warm and cozy room which I chose because of the perfect combination of a grand looking bed, a two person hot tub Jacuzzi and traditional looking fireplace. This was the nursery in the original home, and I found myself thinking of the children that once stayed there, and how that fireplace would have kept them cozy in the dark winter months. Fortunately for us, it was a cool, spring evening, so a little fire felt just right. Once we got settled in our room, Tony told me had a surprise for me. He brought me over to the side of the bed, got down on one knee and (yes, you can imagine what happened next) asked me if I would do him the honor of making him my husband. Overjoyed, I hugged him, buried my head in his neck and nodded, making happy sounds… which in my head sounded like a resounding “Yes, of course!” but didn’t quite make it out of my mouth. So he had to ask, “was that a yes?” Laughing, I said “YES!”, so he could hear. I’m so glad he asked me early in our stay, because for the next eighteen hours, we enjoyed our stay as brand new fiancés. I will never forget how sweet, special and comfortable the rest of our time was. We enjoyed our beautiful room before heading to our new favorite restaurant, the New Scenic Café, just a (gorgeous) fifteen-minute drive north of the Inn. It was foggy that evening, which added to the dream like quality of our evening. We sat next to an older couple that told us they were camping and came in after several days of rain. They had been married for 49 years, and were so happy for our engagement (and tickled to be the first ones to know!). I noticed that they held hands over the table and called each other “sweetie”. Tony and I look forward to being so in love after decades of marriage, and took this as a good omen. After returning back to the A.G. Thomson house, we walked down to the gently lit gazebo filled with flowers, and called our dear friend who had introduced a year and a half earlier to thank her, and give her the news first. Then we enjoyed a relaxing and romantic evening in our beautiful room, and fell asleep to the sound of gentle rain.
Waking up the next morning, I felt blessed knowing it was the best birthday of my life. With my fiancé next to me, birds singing outside and several more hours in this lovely place, I couldn’t have been happier. He brought me delicious coffee in bed, where we sat and talked before getting up to have our breakfast. It was brought up to our room and set outside the door in a big basket. It was the most delicious breakfast I can remember, and we didn’t even have to leave our room! We set it up at the little table by our window and enjoyed the cold mango soup, sweet potato pancakes and mini quiche with fresh herbs from the garden. It was amazing. Tony laid back down for a morning nap and I sat in the armchair by the fire to write about our very special time there. We were there for less than 24 hours, but it felt like a week. It really was as if we had slipped into a dream. Our engagement is what made it unforgettable and magical, and the setting is what made everything just right. Angie was there in the morning to send us off and help us buy our keepsake ceramic mugs. She wished me a happy birthday, and was thrilled to be the second one to know that Tony had proposed! She gave us both a big hug and was kind enough to take engagement photos of us in the gardens.
I truly cannot think of a better place to share such special moments, or to return to for many, many more years to come.

Room Tip: Master's quarters was marvelous
Green Features: The Inn seemed to be very environmentally friendly.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing our Inn and allowing us to be a part of this wonderful time in your lives! We wish you the very best, and hope you will stay in touch!! Happy Wedding planning!!
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

We decided to visit Duluth for the weekend and opted to try A.G. Thompson House. Since it is highly rated, we hoped it would be cozy and comfortable--and it was. There was only one room available (in the carriage house) for the dates we wanted when we booked, so it was a smaller room, but we were quite pleased with the space. It was clean, nicely decorated, lovely colors, comfortable, and quiet.

Upon arrival, Angie and Tim greeted us, which was a really nice warm touch. They showed us around the property, and we were delighted with the home-feel of the main house--there are bright and sunny rooms where you can sit down and read or chat. There are also DVDs that guests can borrow for their rooms. There are actually a lot of small and nice touches about this place--from the cookies (including a gluten free option!) and other refreshments in the main house to the breakfast basket delivery. Since one of us was recovering from an injury, we did opt for the breakfast basket each morning. We loved Angie’s perfect muffins and scones--absolutely delicious. The portion sizes were great and we did not feel overloaded or too stuffed. We would, however, suggest a meat option--perhaps a small add on to the breakfast that guests can check if they’d like. We enjoy our meat, so having that option would be great.

Other great features about A.G. Thompson include the neighborhood--awesome homes to gawk at, as well as the beautiful upkeep of the grounds and buildings--surrounded by all manner of garden sculptures and decorations, and not to mention the gorgeous flowers. Also, Angie and Tim are very kind, and in fact, we commented to each other that it must take a certain type of person to run a B&B--people who enjoy visitors and who have a lot of patience. Angie was so sweet, and when we departed, she gave me a hug like it was the most natural thing in the world, with no hesitation, and I just found that pretty awesome. We would stay here again without hesitation and would recommend to all our friends and family.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

Being #1 on Trip Advisor in Duluth and having been to some outstanding B&B's in other cities, we had high expectations.

Breakfast is our favorite meal of the day and our first one here was so sugary and starchy we actually went out for breakfast the second morning. The menu was French toast with blueberry sauce, harvest muffin so sugary it was inedible- and I am known for my sweet tooth!, and cheesy potatoes. Carb overload. Because our breakfast basket had been delivered to a different room and had someone else's name on it I assumed it was vegan or something. It was not. Angie said she typically serves vegetarian. I imagine it makes her job easier, but we are active young people and need a protein source. How about eggs??? In any form. I guess they occasionally do serve a quiche, so we just lost the roll of the dice. Phooey.

On a positive note, we stayed in the Mayor's Chamber room which was as lovely as the photos. The tub was wonderful. The house is beautiful and the patio out front was bursting with amazing, pretty potted flowers. Also loved walking the neighborhood with it's huge historical homes.

One last thing. I love to come into my room after it has been cleaned and the bed is made exactly as it was when we arrived. They did not do that. The sheet was tucked in, but none of the decorative pillows or coverlet had been put back on. Because the cleaning basket had been left in our room, maybe someone left before finishing? We'll never know.

The housekeeping glitches and menu problems could be a fluke, hence the 3 stars instead of 2. We have experienced much better.

p.s. I mentioned in the on-line registration form that it was our anniversary and they never mentioned it during our stay or did anything special. I read about all the extra nice things they did for couples in our room memory book. Another fluke or glitch?

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
AGTDuluth, Owner at A.G. Thomson House: Historic Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
This type of rating/review is new to us, and we certainly know some mistakes were made, so we appreciate the opportunity to be able to respond and acknowledge Susie’s concerns. It greatly saddens us to hear that she and her husband were unhappy. We strive to make all of our guests happy and will continue to do so. Moving forward, as always, will continue to learn and improve – determined to make each guest experience as perfect as we possibly can.

Breakfast - We typically serve french toast for our Sunday morning breakfast, and since our guests checked in on Saturday, that was the rotation for the next day. That morning’s breakfast consisted of a fresh fruit plate, Harvest muffin (similar to a carrot/zucchini bread; one of our least sweet muffins), Lemon Lavender French toast with blueberry compote, and creamy potatoes o’brien (no beef or pork as was requested in the online reservation). We are unclear and confused about the reference to a “menu problem”. We do serve egg dishes alternately, not occasionally, and had they stayed the next morning would have enjoyed our fruit course, scone and an egg strata with a side dish. We have a sample menu available for viewing on our website’s breakfast page that provides a general idea of what we serve, etc. so there are no surprises, and also so we can attempt to meet any dietary restrictions and/or preferences. The french toast of note is listed on one of our sample days, with many egg dishes listed as well.

Susie and her husband chose to leave early the next morning prior to breakfast therefore we were not given the opportunity to serve our egg dish that was on the menu for that morning. Sunday evening Tim was doing a walk-through of the common areas and Susie and her husband mentioned to him that they were unsure if they would be here by the time we served breakfast in the morning and would let us know. There was no mention at that time of their unhappiness with our breakfast that morning. As they were departing Monday morning prior to breakfast, Tim was able to say good-bye, thank them for staying with us and again apologized for the error in their delivery and the error made by our staff. He was told not to worry about it and the reason they were leaving early was because they wanted to do some things before returning home from the Memorial Day holiday, not that they were headed out to breakfast.

We try to anticipate needs and meet a delicate balance with subjective tastes that vary from guest to guest, and to make all of our guests happy. When we know dietary preferences in advance, we always accommodate. We did so by not serving pork or beef, as was requested in their online reservation: (“Susie doesn't eat beef or pork and only free range chicken.”) but were not aware that our french toast/muffin menu would not be a preference.

We take responsibility for the delivery error. To avoid errors, we ask our guests to fully complete a pre-printed delivery request card with their name, room and date of delivery if they would like the option of delivery that our Inn offers. Occasionally we have similar guest names, and this was the case in their delivery. Their room name was left incomplete on the delivery card so we did not have a cross reference, but again, we are fully culpable for not taking a few extra moments to ensure it was correct. Fortunately the error was caught shortly after it occurred and we were very apologetic.

Anniversary - We did look back at the online reservation several times to see if we missed anything pertaining to their anniversary, and there was no mention in the notes section of the reservation of an anniversary. The only mention in the notes was regarding Susie’s dietary request noted above. We offer a multitude of packages on our website for celebratory events, and this is helpful in knowing in advance if a guest is celebrating a special event when it is not noted on the reservation. We do try to ask upon arrival the reason for the visit if there is no mention on the reservation, and if we were remiss in not doing so with Susie and her husband, we are very sorry.

Housekeeping - Our housekeeping procedure is a general freshening/tidying of the room. There is no doubt that our staff made a very big mistake in leaving the laundry basket in the room (please know that there were no dirty towels or sheets in this basket but two small bags and a bottle of multi-cleaner with a cleaning rag). We could not have been more than surprised and upset; they are usually very detailed and cautious. This was the first time in nearly 7 years that we did not double check their freshening work and the buck stops here! When we discovered it, we immediately went to the guests to apologize and we did offer to make it right as best we could. They were very kind and told us our offer was not necessary. We are still very unhappy that it happened because we do all we can to run our Inn at the highest standards possible; we believe our history, merits and our belief system exemplifies this fact. We spoke to our staff immediately the next day, and they know how displeased and disappointed we were that it happened and that it must never happen again. They, too, were very upset with themselves that it occurred. We now have additional procedures in place so that this will not occur again.

Susie is correct that there was not a full remake of the bed. Our freshening procedure does not include a full remake of the bed; this is noted on the card placed on all of our guest beds pertaining to our freshening policy. We have found over the years that once a guest has removed and put away the decorative pillows, that they prefer it that way. Our experience, and that of other Innkeepers, is similar. We do make and tidy the bed, remove trash, replace towels; a basic light tidying of the room unless it is an extended stay. We would have been more than happy to do a full remake of the bed if we had known in advance that this was a preferred option. We are always listening and want to continue to work to improve our guest experience.

We would be remiss if we did not say that we are hurt and dismayed that Susie marked us down on service, cleanliness, value, and sleep quality (all of our rooms received brand new top of the line mattresses and box springs within the past year), with an implication that the “average” rating given should be lower. This is difficult for us to understand based upon our interactions with them upon arrival, before and after our mistakes occurred, how we addressed them with our guest at that time, and their reassuring words to us during their stay. Yes, without a doubt we had a couple of “flukes” as they are referred and they were acknowledged; however we wholeheartedly stand behind the integrity of our merits, our breakfasts, our service and hospitality, our devotion and pride in running this incredible Inn, and doing our utmost to meet our guests’ needs.

We value each guest and our goal to make their stay perfect is very personal to us. Ultimately what we did and did not do to make Susie and her husband’s stay less than expected will be something we will continue to work diligently to improve upon. We make mistakes for sure, but when we do, we acknowledge them, try to make it right, and use the experience to learn and grow. Susie’s concerns and opinion will be taken to heart and we thank you for your feedback.

Been to A.G. Thomson House: Historic Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!