“Such a disappointment!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 32 hotels in Duluth
Northern Ontario
“Such a disappointment!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2009

I just need a clean comfortable place to rest my head at night. This place was certainly not clean, nor was it comfortable. The room was filthy, we pulled out a couple of extra pillows that are kept in a dresser, and there were blood spots on them!! The carpet was in terrible repair with holes and rips and not well vacuumed. The entire building is not in good repair and even the stairs creak when you are walking up them. There was water still in our tub and wet towels left behind the bathroom door that were overlooked by housekeeping. The front desk took 10 dollars off my bill. I would not stay here again even if it were free!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

76 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

Worst place I have ever been at. Girl at front desk complained because we arrived before 3pm. Cleaning lady had started late so rooms not ready. Painting supplies all over lobby. Room had water damage and smelled awful. They put us in a room right beside it. Still smelled, carpet was all ripped up and the beds are old, creaky and hard. As we were waiting for staff to show up and see what we were talking about, a family walked by stating that the hotel was "creepy and I thought this was the newer part of the hotel". She was right, it was the newer part and it was still awful. We wanted to leave right away but the front desk said we would still have to pay, I argued until they agreed to let us leave and not charge my credit card. However they left the hold on my card and refused to take it off. I was told 5 days until it would come off. We were in the room for 10 minutes!!!!!
In reading reviews of this motel before my trip alot of people said it was a good place to stay. That is NOT the case and whoever said it was must be affiliated with the motel. I would suggest head office show up as a "guest" and check things out.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Hermantown, MN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2009

I relocated to this area and needed to stay 1 night. I left my wallet at my old residence and had it Fed-Exed to Econo Lodge. I called the front desk manager to alert them to the fact I had a fed-ex coming and was told they would take care of it. When I checked in the package was no where to be found. The package contained my wallet. Needless to say, I spent the next 2 weeks trying to sort out my credit cards/bank account/etc. They found the Fed-Ex package opened and tossed in their dumpster. No wallet to be found. They had placed the package on a table in clear view by a plant. Granted the front desk area was locked but that makes me think it may have been an employee....Welcome to Minnesota....

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
JBents, Advertising Representative at Econo Lodge Airport, responded to this review, March 31, 2010
I'm sorry that this happened to you, in the years that I have worked at this property this is the only time this has happened involving an employee. Sometimes employees go through difficult times and find themselves doing things that they would not have done in the past. That being said personal problems or other things happening outside of work do not excuse this, nor would they make it even close to acceptable.

The employee in question was let go soon after this, and we have not had problems of this sort since.

Once again I am deeply sorry that this happened to you at our hotel and I hope that sometime in the future you give us a chance to make this up to you.
Richfield, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

We always stay at this hotel in Hermantown, it is not in the center of downtown Duluth and is a nice easy drive to the city.
We always have great service - we asked for a fridge and extra pillows for the room and they were with us within minutes.
The breakfast bar is good - no hot breakfast - but a simple snack to start the day. If you want more there is a Tejas right outside the hotel which does full breakfasts.
The rooms were clean, the shower was hot, the view may not be best but the value is there great rates compared to downtown.
Bonus this time a microwave in the room too - but if you ask you get can get both a fridge and microwave.
This is a good value budget hotel - if you want a five star hotel then pay for it but don't expect a five star when you pay budget rates ... this hotel is friendly, family friendly, everyone friendly, but is a 10 minute drive to downtown - we don't mind it but some people would want to be closer ...
Close by are lots of restaurants, Miller Hill is close - a Grandmas is really close and not touristy like the one in down town, close to grocery stores like Cub, etc.

enjoy

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Minnestoa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2007

First, don't go to Duluth Minnesota on the weekend without reservations. I know this but somehow did this when driving around one weekend in March 2007.

Usually stay at the Edgewater, which is fantastic and has great rates but everything was full up in all hotels we stopped at.

Ended up at the Econo Lodge - a Choice property, brand of Comfort Inn etc.

An older property but they are making improvements. New pool area and breakfast room BUT no hot water.

It was Sunday morning, hotel was probably pretty full, but really is there any excuse for No hot water to shower? We were not the only ones, whole hotel was a buzz about the problem...Manager states - one time incident but staff said, happens all the time.

Front desk compensated 10 % and a call to choice and manager, a bit more but for all the trouble, not worth it.

So many great places to stay in Duluth, Be sure and call ahead.

Stayed March 2007
JBents, Advertising Representative at Econo Lodge Airport, responded to this review, March 29, 2010
We were having some problems a few years back with our hot water heaters, every time we had them repaired they would work for a few days or weeks then break all over again.

We've replaced the ones we were having problems with so this is not an issue anymore.

Sorry that this adversely affected your stay and we hope you give us a chance to do better next time.
Farmington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2007

We just returned from a weekend of shopping in Duluth.
We stayed at the EconoLodge located up by the Miller Hill Mall. The EconoLodge is the NICEST EconoLodge I have seen, when most of think EconoLodge we think cheap and run down, but thats not the case at this EconoLodge. When you first walk in you are pleased to see a nice big lobby that you can tell has been recently remodeled. You then are greeted by a friendly front desk staff, which the friendly does not stop at the front desk, all employees were quick to my every need. The rooms need new furniture, but they are SUPER clean, I could not find one thing wrong with my room, and I'm a picky traveler. I was again please when we went to sit in there hot tub, the pool area was so clean and welcoming. And at 10:00pm the front desk was there kicking out the kids so the adults could enjoy themselves.
Breakfast in the morning was also a nice surprise. I will leave it to you to find out how wonderful the breakfast was.
I was reading some of the other reviews before I went to this hotel and I have to disagree with all the other reviews, this is a LOVELY hotel, however its no Ritz, I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to save a few dollars and have be treated like a friend.

Christchurch. England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2006

I was staying at the Country Inn and Suites in Duluth. I needed an extra room for the night of September 23rd, which my hotel could not provide. Nearby in Haines Road, Econo Lodge had a room available, so I reserved it by using my VISA.

On 20th September, I was told by my hotel that there had been a cancellation, so a room had become available. I immediately called Econo Lodge to cancel that booking. I was told that no booking existed! I asked that if they ever found the booking, would they please cancel it and NOT charge me for "no-show". I was given that assurance.

I received my VISA statement today, showing that Econo Lodge Duluth on 27th September had charged my account $104.58 for NOTHING - entirely due to their total inefficiency and greed!

Stayed September 2006

Been to Econo Lodge Airport? Share your experiences!