“Excellent once again” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 33 Hotels in Duluth
Richfield, Minnesota
“Excellent once again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

We always stay at this hotel in Hermantown, it is not in the center of downtown Duluth and is a nice easy drive to the city.
We always have great service - we asked for a fridge and extra pillows for the room and they were with us within minutes.
The breakfast bar is good - no hot breakfast - but a simple snack to start the day. If you want more there is a Tejas right outside the hotel which does full breakfasts.
The rooms were clean, the shower was hot, the view may not be best but the value is there great rates compared to downtown.
Bonus this time a microwave in the room too - but if you ask you get can get both a fridge and microwave.
This is a good value budget hotel - if you want a five star hotel then pay for it but don't expect a five star when you pay budget rates ... this hotel is friendly, family friendly, everyone friendly, but is a 10 minute drive to downtown - we don't mind it but some people would want to be closer ...
Close by are lots of restaurants, Miller Hill is close - a Grandmas is really close and not touristy like the one in down town, close to grocery stores like Cub, etc.

enjoy

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Minnestoa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2007

First, don't go to Duluth Minnesota on the weekend without reservations. I know this but somehow did this when driving around one weekend in March 2007.

Usually stay at the Edgewater, which is fantastic and has great rates but everything was full up in all hotels we stopped at.

Ended up at the Econo Lodge - a Choice property, brand of Comfort Inn etc.

An older property but they are making improvements. New pool area and breakfast room BUT no hot water.

It was Sunday morning, hotel was probably pretty full, but really is there any excuse for No hot water to shower? We were not the only ones, whole hotel was a buzz about the problem...Manager states - one time incident but staff said, happens all the time.

Front desk compensated 10 % and a call to choice and manager, a bit more but for all the trouble, not worth it.

So many great places to stay in Duluth, Be sure and call ahead.

Stayed March 2007
JBents, Advertising Representative at Econo Lodge Near Miller Hill Mall, responded to this review, March 29, 2010
We were having some problems a few years back with our hot water heaters, every time we had them repaired they would work for a few days or weeks then break all over again.

We've replaced the ones we were having problems with so this is not an issue anymore.

Sorry that this adversely affected your stay and we hope you give us a chance to do better next time.
Farmington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2007

We just returned from a weekend of shopping in Duluth.
We stayed at the EconoLodge located up by the Miller Hill Mall. The EconoLodge is the NICEST EconoLodge I have seen, when most of think EconoLodge we think cheap and run down, but thats not the case at this EconoLodge. When you first walk in you are pleased to see a nice big lobby that you can tell has been recently remodeled. You then are greeted by a friendly front desk staff, which the friendly does not stop at the front desk, all employees were quick to my every need. The rooms need new furniture, but they are SUPER clean, I could not find one thing wrong with my room, and I'm a picky traveler. I was again please when we went to sit in there hot tub, the pool area was so clean and welcoming. And at 10:00pm the front desk was there kicking out the kids so the adults could enjoy themselves.
Breakfast in the morning was also a nice surprise. I will leave it to you to find out how wonderful the breakfast was.
I was reading some of the other reviews before I went to this hotel and I have to disagree with all the other reviews, this is a LOVELY hotel, however its no Ritz, I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to save a few dollars and have be treated like a friend.

Christchurch. England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2006

I was staying at the Country Inn and Suites in Duluth. I needed an extra room for the night of September 23rd, which my hotel could not provide. Nearby in Haines Road, Econo Lodge had a room available, so I reserved it by using my VISA.

On 20th September, I was told by my hotel that there had been a cancellation, so a room had become available. I immediately called Econo Lodge to cancel that booking. I was told that no booking existed! I asked that if they ever found the booking, would they please cancel it and NOT charge me for "no-show". I was given that assurance.

I received my VISA statement today, showing that Econo Lodge Duluth on 27th September had charged my account $104.58 for NOTHING - entirely due to their total inefficiency and greed!

Stayed September 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2006

We checked into the hotel and although we booked it through Orbitz specifying a non-smoking room with no cancelation, we were given a smoking room and told that there were no other rooms. We couldn't get a refund. The 2 pillows were extremely thin and they only had one more in housekeeping. The breakfast was fair but the cold shower wasn't plesant. I will not stay here again nor will I book another hotel through Orbitz

• Stayed February 2006
Sometimes third party services can end up booking a room type other than the one specifically requested by the guest. We do our best to switch people when this happens but we don't always have the rooms left to switch to. We're told by these companies not to switch anything about the reservation because they may not pay otherwise, which sometimes our new staff can take too far by not changing a room type like this.

Our pillows have been replaced since, and we've been adding extra pillows to our rooms so that there are always extras for our guests.

We've also replaced a few of our hot water heaters since then. We were having some problems with them working for a while after repairs and then quitting without any notice.

We're sorry that your stay did not turn out as you expected and hope that you give us another chance some time in the future.
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2005

Outside.. extreme darkness no lights around parking lot, lack of parking spaces.overflowing garbage cans. On our second night key card not properly activated to get into outside door. which resulted in long walk back to lobby with heavy parcels from day of shopping.
Toilet not flushing.cold water shower x2 mornings.
Desk staff argumentative,unhelpful.
Rerurned to room which was not cleaned while we were gone. Again, front desk staff argued with us about the oversight. Isn't the customer always right???
Now housekeeper arguing with us as well.
Bad experience.

Cincinnati, OH
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2005

I had a recent stay at the Econo Lodge in Duluth (Airport). What a disappointment. Dirty, under construction. Sink that didn’t work. First floor windows that didn’t lock.

• Stayed July 2005
While our maintenance guys are always trying to keep up with repairs we do sometimes need to call in companies to repair things that would take us too long to fix, and since hotels are a year round business this means we do have construction going on sometimes when guests are around. We would rather close off the section this is happening in but we don't always have that option, especially in the summer which according to your review is when you stayed.

We've added security bars to all of our windows that prevent them from opening more than a few inches, along with newer locks.

Sorry to hear about your stay at our hotel and we hope that you give us another chance in the future.

Been to Econo Lodge Near Miller Hill Mall? Share your experiences!