“Perfectly acceptable dog friendly motel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #23 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Mallorytown, Canada
“Perfectly acceptable dog friendly motel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

We made the mistake of not booking ahead for a dog-friendly motel in Duluth. Most of the motels in the area are not dog friendly, but we asked around and found a room at the Econo Lodge. Really awful surroundings (derelict lot next door did make for a large area for the dog to roam) and a strange alley-entrance to the lobby, but nice staff, OK rooms, nice-looking indoor pool and a good breakfast. Retro (think 'Space Invaders') arcade for kids, free newspapers, lots of TV channels. Liked the fact that we could get a dog friendly room that was non-smoking. Not a high-end motel, but just fine for an overnight stop with a dog.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

I was a little apprehensive when I found that I have been booked into the Econolodge by my employer. The name kinda conjures an image of a bottom of the range, pared to the bone establishment. In actual fact, what I got was perfectly adequate for a single night stay, as I did, or a stay of longer duration.

It was a typical American hotel. Nice points were the free wi-fi, a fairly comprehensive complimentary breakfast and staff who were extremely helpful and friendly. They were willing to go the extra mile to help.

Location was on the main road near the airport.

Ambience in the hotel itself was far better than the 'economy' moniker that I had expected. The room was well equipped and perfectly adequate for space. The lobby, although small was well decorated and comfortable.

I'll be returning to the Duluth area in a few weeks time and will have no complaint if I find that I have been booked into the EconoLodge. Staff were friendly and helpful and the accommodation was quite okay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

We recently stayed at the Econo Lodge in Duluth. We have 2 dogs and this was a hotel that accepted pets. The accomodations were pleasant, the room clean, the continental breakfast was ample and fresh. The rates were good as was the charge for the dogs to stay. My only complaint was the whirlpool in the pool area. While it is a large whirlpool, the temp was barely warm. We spent 6 nights here and the first night, we noticed how luke warm the water was. The second night, it wasn't any warmer. We mentioned this to the staff at the reception desk and we were told that it is a coorporate decision to keep the temp at 101 degrees. We were encouraged to call coorporate offices but they would not give us a number to call. We looked it up online and could find no such number to call. We would have loved to spend time in the whirlpool each of the 6 nights as the reason we were in Duluth was very stressful and a soak in the warm water would have done wonders for our souls and body...but it didn't happen. Very uncomfortable for guests, especailly when the outside temps were near 0.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Rochester, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

My husband and I were able to stay at this hotel for $110 via HotWire.com. Of note, there were very fews left available in Duluth on the weekend we needed the room. It was clean and decorated nicely. The walls were amazingly thin so sound traveled seamlessly throughout the night. If I could give you one piece of advice, it would be to bring your own pillows. Their's were flatter than pancakes.

This is a true 2-star hotel budget hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
New Caney, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

room was clean, great choices ont he breakfast bar, area seemed safe, and no signs of bed bugs....a little pricey for an Econo Lodge, but overall a very nice stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Grand Marais, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

My family had doctor appointments in Duluth recently. Rather than drive the 2+hrs back and forth two days in a row we decided to stay overnight. We should have stayed somewhere else! They had booked me a second floor room. I told them that my daughter had just had a cast taken off of her leg and we would need a first floor room (being as how there was no elevator!). They gave us a first floor room, but it was so far from the lobby (on the other end of the hotel) that it was almost pointless...my daughter was using crutches!

The Room: The toilet lid was not attached to the toilet! The tub took forever to drain a few inches of water. The armoire doors were falling off and would not close properly. The AC/Heat made awful clunky noises. The windows did not lock! The lights by the bed did not work. I had to move the bedside cabinet in order to plug in the lights.

The Hotel: The hallways had garbage by guest rooms and stunk so bad of old, stale (and new) cigarette smoke you almost couldn't stand to walk through them. The "guest computer" had such a slow connection it almost wasn't worth using at all. The hot tub was warm at best and had very insufficient jets. The pool was NOT heated.

I give praise where it is due and am very generous in my gratuities. I also critique honestly when it is needed. In closing: the breakfast and the location are very enjoyable and convenient.

Room Tip: Make yourself very clear on what YOU want from THEM. It is YOUR money!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

Room 215 - Please check it out. After the first night, I noticed some red sores on my arm, but didn't think anything of it. There was a little bit of blood on the bedsheet as well. After the NEXT night, I found MORE red sores on my body and there was an even BIGGER spot of blood on the bedsheet!

NOW I had to figure out what was going on. After lifting up the comforter, I saw ONE critter trying to hide but managed to scoop it up into a cup. Did some Internet research and confirmed with a buddy that it was indeed a BEDBUG and not just some tick.

I should've brought it down to the Front Desk for management to see, but I had way too much going on. Please have your pest control company revisit this issue and don't "sweep it under the comforter". Be honest and be fair to your customers. Thank you.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
JBents, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge Near Miller Hill Mall, responded to this review, September 20, 2011
Thank you for your review of your stay at our hotel. I'm sorry to hear that you had some bug issues in your room. We take every report of bed bugs seriously and have already had our exterminators in to clear the room out just incase this actually was bed bugs. After the initial visit they came back to check up on the room and told us that the hotel is clean with no bed bugs.

Been to Econo Lodge Near Miller Hill Mall? Share your experiences!