“Nice hotel but...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Minnesota
“Nice hotel but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

We recently stayed at the Econo Lodge in Duluth. We have 2 dogs and this was a hotel that accepted pets. The accomodations were pleasant, the room clean, the continental breakfast was ample and fresh. The rates were good as was the charge for the dogs to stay. My only complaint was the whirlpool in the pool area. While it is a large whirlpool, the temp was barely warm. We spent 6 nights here and the first night, we noticed how luke warm the water was. The second night, it wasn't any warmer. We mentioned this to the staff at the reception desk and we were told that it is a coorporate decision to keep the temp at 101 degrees. We were encouraged to call coorporate offices but they would not give us a number to call. We looked it up online and could find no such number to call. We would have loved to spend time in the whirlpool each of the 6 nights as the reason we were in Duluth was very stressful and a soak in the warm water would have done wonders for our souls and body...but it didn't happen. Very uncomfortable for guests, especailly when the outside temps were near 0.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Rochester, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

My husband and I were able to stay at this hotel for $110 via HotWire.com. Of note, there were very fews left available in Duluth on the weekend we needed the room. It was clean and decorated nicely. The walls were amazingly thin so sound traveled seamlessly throughout the night. If I could give you one piece of advice, it would be to bring your own pillows. Their's were flatter than pancakes.

This is a true 2-star hotel budget hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
New Caney, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

room was clean, great choices ont he breakfast bar, area seemed safe, and no signs of bed bugs....a little pricey for an Econo Lodge, but overall a very nice stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Grand Marais, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

My family had doctor appointments in Duluth recently. Rather than drive the 2+hrs back and forth two days in a row we decided to stay overnight. We should have stayed somewhere else! They had booked me a second floor room. I told them that my daughter had just had a cast taken off of her leg and we would need a first floor room (being as how there was no elevator!). They gave us a first floor room, but it was so far from the lobby (on the other end of the hotel) that it was almost pointless...my daughter was using crutches!

The Room: The toilet lid was not attached to the toilet! The tub took forever to drain a few inches of water. The armoire doors were falling off and would not close properly. The AC/Heat made awful clunky noises. The windows did not lock! The lights by the bed did not work. I had to move the bedside cabinet in order to plug in the lights.

The Hotel: The hallways had garbage by guest rooms and stunk so bad of old, stale (and new) cigarette smoke you almost couldn't stand to walk through them. The "guest computer" had such a slow connection it almost wasn't worth using at all. The hot tub was warm at best and had very insufficient jets. The pool was NOT heated.

I give praise where it is due and am very generous in my gratuities. I also critique honestly when it is needed. In closing: the breakfast and the location are very enjoyable and convenient.

Room Tip: Make yourself very clear on what YOU want from THEM. It is YOUR money!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

Room 215 - Please check it out. After the first night, I noticed some red sores on my arm, but didn't think anything of it. There was a little bit of blood on the bedsheet as well. After the NEXT night, I found MORE red sores on my body and there was an even BIGGER spot of blood on the bedsheet!

NOW I had to figure out what was going on. After lifting up the comforter, I saw ONE critter trying to hide but managed to scoop it up into a cup. Did some Internet research and confirmed with a buddy that it was indeed a BEDBUG and not just some tick.

I should've brought it down to the Front Desk for management to see, but I had way too much going on. Please have your pest control company revisit this issue and don't "sweep it under the comforter". Be honest and be fair to your customers. Thank you.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
JBents, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge Near Miller Hill Mall, responded to this review, September 20, 2011
Thank you for your review of your stay at our hotel. I'm sorry to hear that you had some bug issues in your room. We take every report of bed bugs seriously and have already had our exterminators in to clear the room out just incase this actually was bed bugs. After the initial visit they came back to check up on the room and told us that the hotel is clean with no bed bugs.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

I wouldn't stay here if you don't have to. I was here for work, stayed one week. I checked in on a Sunday and Tuesday morning woke up scratching my right arm. When I looked in the mirror, there were red bumps all over my upper right arm. There were a couple bumps on my upper left arm also. I thought it might be bed bugs, but didn't know for sure. I checked the sheets quick and found a blood smear toward the middle of the bed. I asked the front desk to change my sheets and they did (this does not rid beds of bed bugs). The next morning I woke up and had to go see a doctor, because there were more! My left arm was now almost completely covered with red clustered bug bites that itched terribly. I also had "bug bites" on my hands, neck and back. I informed the front desk that there may be a problem, and they said they'd have their maid staff keep a look out, but this is something that usually is not found unless it's inspected (professionally). They switched me rooms and I didn't have any more bug bites for the rest of my stay. I can't know for sure what the bumps are from unless I go see a Dermatologist (per the doctor I saw, who agreed with me that it is probably bed bugs). I'm not willing to pay to see a dermatologist, since I know how to prevent them from spreading to my apartment. Needless to say, I'm washing all of my clothes in hot water and I threw out my suitcase. Bed bugs spread extremely easily, so if they do have them, they'll likely be in other rooms soon. Hopefully they will take care of the problem if they have them. I would think twice before you stay here. You may end up with bug bites all over!!

Room Tip: Stay in the newer wing....
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
JBents, Front Office Manager at Econo Lodge Near Miller Hill Mall, responded to this review, June 23, 2011
We take every report of bed bugs very seriously and have yet to have any of them at our property. As the guest was told that morning we did have our Head Housekeeper and one of our Maintenance men in the room checking it over and they found no evidence of bed bugs.

We have been thoroughly briefed on the signs of a bed bug infestation by our pest control company, who we call when we have reports like this at our property. Contrary to popular belief there are signs to look for if you suspect bed bugs. We have been told that if there were some in the room there would be visible signs of activity, specifically behind the headboard. Our staff will go into the room and remove the headboards to check behind the wall and look between the mattress and box spring just to make sure they aren't hiding out there.

Our pest control company has even stopped in this week to look over rooms and check around just to make sure we don't have anything. While he was here we let him know that we've had a report on this and after looking over the room and a few others he said there are none here.

I'm sorry that you had this happened to you but it was not bed bugs.
denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

We recently stayed at the econolodge over the Christmas holiday, what a wonderful experience we had. The rooms were clean and well kept and the staff was very friendly. The kids in the group enjoyed the indoor pool and hot tub area and the breakfast in the morning was perfect for our family. We will stay here again if we ever need accomodations in the Duluth area.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Been to Econo Lodge Near Miller Hill Mall? Share your experiences!