“Bed Bugs!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 32 hotels in Duluth
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Bed Bugs!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

I wouldn't stay here if you don't have to. I was here for work, stayed one week. I checked in on a Sunday and Tuesday morning woke up scratching my right arm. When I looked in the mirror, there were red bumps all over my upper right arm. There were a couple bumps on my upper left arm also. I thought it might be bed bugs, but didn't know for sure. I checked the sheets quick and found a blood smear toward the middle of the bed. I asked the front desk to change my sheets and they did (this does not rid beds of bed bugs). The next morning I woke up and had to go see a doctor, because there were more! My left arm was now almost completely covered with red clustered bug bites that itched terribly. I also had "bug bites" on my hands, neck and back. I informed the front desk that there may be a problem, and they said they'd have their maid staff keep a look out, but this is something that usually is not found unless it's inspected (professionally). They switched me rooms and I didn't have any more bug bites for the rest of my stay. I can't know for sure what the bumps are from unless I go see a Dermatologist (per the doctor I saw, who agreed with me that it is probably bed bugs). I'm not willing to pay to see a dermatologist, since I know how to prevent them from spreading to my apartment. Needless to say, I'm washing all of my clothes in hot water and I threw out my suitcase. Bed bugs spread extremely easily, so if they do have them, they'll likely be in other rooms soon. Hopefully they will take care of the problem if they have them. I would think twice before you stay here. You may end up with bug bites all over!!

Room Tip: Stay in the newer wing....
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
JBents, Front Office Manager at Econo Lodge Near Miller Hill Mall, responded to this review, June 23, 2011
We take every report of bed bugs very seriously and have yet to have any of them at our property. As the guest was told that morning we did have our Head Housekeeper and one of our Maintenance men in the room checking it over and they found no evidence of bed bugs.

We have been thoroughly briefed on the signs of a bed bug infestation by our pest control company, who we call when we have reports like this at our property. Contrary to popular belief there are signs to look for if you suspect bed bugs. We have been told that if there were some in the room there would be visible signs of activity, specifically behind the headboard. Our staff will go into the room and remove the headboards to check behind the wall and look between the mattress and box spring just to make sure they aren't hiding out there.

Our pest control company has even stopped in this week to look over rooms and check around just to make sure we don't have anything. While he was here we let him know that we've had a report on this and after looking over the room and a few others he said there are none here.

I'm sorry that you had this happened to you but it was not bed bugs.

79 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

We recently stayed at the econolodge over the Christmas holiday, what a wonderful experience we had. The rooms were clean and well kept and the staff was very friendly. The kids in the group enjoyed the indoor pool and hot tub area and the breakfast in the morning was perfect for our family. We will stay here again if we ever need accomodations in the Duluth area.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

I had a nice stay at this hotel. My room was #203. There was a small fridge that was not really noisy like some other places, a big TV, and a comfortable chair in the corner. The sink was in the room area while the toilet and shower were the only thing in the bathroom. There was plenty of hot water for the shower. The staff was very friendly and they printed out my boarding pass for me on their computers as the one they have for the guests to use had a faulty printer that night. The location is deceiving because it looks like a construction site around it with a dirt road to the place from Haines road, with a car dealership on the other end. The inside lobby is very large and clean though and so are the rooms. There is a dairy queen across the parking lot and also a fast food place. Just down Maple Grove rd (take right onto Haines from hotel and Maple Grove should be the next or 2nd next light, take a left) is a Target and other shops. You can go further down Maple Grove a little bit until you come to the main road called Central Entrance and take a right. Down this road just a bit you will find many more shops, stores and restraunts. Enterprise Car rental is to your left down Central Entrance a little ways. If you would turn right on Maple Grove there is a japanese restraunt on the corner there called attached to a gas station that serves good food. Up a bit you will find a Sam's club.
The hotel has an arcade room that I did not use and also a pool. there were family games on a shelf in the lobby and a big table with couches to use. A big TV was on to watch along with the computer to use. They had Duluth and MN postcards they were selling on a rack near the sightseeing brochures.
One con was the walls were a bit thin and the neighbors were in and out of their room for a few hours at night and they let their door slam shut every time. I slept fine though as things settled down after 10:30 pm.
I read there was a restraunt attached but I did not venture down to see how it looked.
The enterprise rental car place will provide a shuttle to and from the airport if you are flying in. It is so close to the hotel it was convenient to use.
I would recommend getting a map of the area and heading down to the lift bridge while you are in town. It can't be more than 20-30 minutes from the hotel. Find a schedule of when the big ships are coming in (from the maritime museum down by the lift bridge park area) and watch them, it is something you have to see to appreciate!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

I had the pleasure of staying in this hotel in March 2010 and July 2010.

I was delighted with the staff and customer service. In March, I was upgraded to a Jacuzzi suite at no charge, and in July, the front desk staff printed a coupon off the internet that saved me $15.00!

The room was very comfortable. Unfortunately, it did not have a fridge, but the staff put my food bag in the large commercial fridge. Again -great staff!

The pool area could use some updating, but it is still okay. The hot tub was great; so was the breakfast.

The lobby computer was NOT working properly on July 21-22, 2010. I hope this has been repaired.

My biggest complaint - lack of an elevator. This was a problem for my senior companion.

If this hotel had an elevator, and a more aesthetic pool area, I would have rated this excellent!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2010

I just stayed at the Econo Lodge for Grandma's Marathon. It was a very nice stay. The room was very clean, no problems with the hot water like the other comments. It's not a luxury hotel but it's a very nice place if you are looking for a relaxing place to sleep.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Minneapolis,MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2010

I had such a great time in Duluth with family last weekend. The hotel is very clean and nice, I have never stayed in an Econo Lodge before. The staff was friendly and there was a nice breakfast set up. I would stay here again the next time I'm in Duluth.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Northern Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2009

I just need a clean comfortable place to rest my head at night. This place was certainly not clean, nor was it comfortable. The room was filthy, we pulled out a couple of extra pillows that are kept in a dresser, and there were blood spots on them!! The carpet was in terrible repair with holes and rips and not well vacuumed. The entire building is not in good repair and even the stairs creak when you are walking up them. There was water still in our tub and wet towels left behind the bathroom door that were overlooked by housekeeping. The front desk took 10 dollars off my bill. I would not stay here again even if it were free!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Econo Lodge Near Miller Hill Mall? Share your experiences!