My mother and I stayed here the night of August 18, 2004 during a Minnesota sojourn (she made the reservation). This hotel is located in Duluth's Canal Park district, literally steps away from the shores of Lake Superior.
My first impression of the hotel was that it was far nicer than most properties in this chain. There was a front porch lounge, which gave the feel of a vacation inn. The lobby was inviting and had a rack crammed full of brochures and information on area attractions. Off the lobby was the hotel's indoor pool and whirlpool. The large, sunny breakfast room (located off the main lobby) had floor-to-ceiling windows looking out on Lake Superior. There was a deck with chairs and tables for those who wished to take in the lake breezes.
Check-in was efficient, and we were given coupons to two restaurants within walking distance. A nice touch!
My mother and I were very pleasantly surprised when we entered our room. The room was decorated in a tasteful Mission style, which we found quite relaxing. The sitting area had a love seat that doubled as a sleeper sofa, a table & chairs, lamps by the love seat & table, and a microwave, mini-fridge & coffee maker. There were outlets for both high-speed & dial-up Internet access at the table. The bedroom had two queen-size beds (quite comfortable), full size double dresser, color cable television with remote, and an armoire/closet. The furnishings were high quality -- not that wood veneer stuff. The bathroom was large and well lit, and had plenty of counter space. We had plenty of towels, as well as shampoo, conditioner and hand lotion. Other in-room amenities included voice mail, pay-per-view movies (you can order a movie with a swipe of your credit card), iron/ironing board, and hair dryer. The hotel also has business services (computer with Internet access & printer), and a complimentary continental breakfast (standard fare).
The location in the heart of the Canal Park district can't be beat. You're literally steps away from the Lake Superior boardwalk, and within walking distance of such attractions as the Aerial Lift Bridge and Great Lakes Aquarium. Not to mention the bevy of dining and shopping options literally steps away. For all the activity in the neighborhood, noise was not really a problem (for the most part).
My mother paid $125.10 for one night. This was at the height of tourist season, and the hotel was completely booked the night we stayed there. When Mother booked the room she was given a choice of "lake view" or "city view." The lake view is $60 more -- but what an incredible view it is! She opted for the city view, and we had a nice view of the city, which is built on bluffs abutting Lake Superior. We noticed a pretty diverse group of guests -- mainly families, but also seniors and some couples.
This hotel very pleasantly surprised me. In my opinion, the quality was that of a Radisson or Sheraton, except for the lack of a full-service restaurant. Since there are so many restaurants in the area, that's not really a problem. My only regret is we didn't spend more time in Duluth to explore this very charming city.
- Also Known As:
- Comfort Suites Canal Park Hotel
- Comfort Suites Canal Park Hotel Duluth
- Comfort Suites Duluth
- Comfort Suites Duluth Mn
- Comfort Suite Canal Park Duluth
- Duluth Comfort Suites
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Comfort Suites® Canal Park is near Lake Superior, Canal Park, historic Aerial Lift Bridge, Duluth Entertainment Convention Center, University of Minnesota Duluth and Glensheen, the Historic Congdon Estate, "Duluth's American Castle." Spirit Mountain, Duluth International Airport and the University of Wisconsin-Superior are located just 10 miles from this Duluth, MN hotel. The hotel is also walking distance from Lake Superior Marine Museum, Carnival Thrillz Family Entertainment Center and the Great Lakes Floating Maritime Museum, featuring the S.S. William A Irvin ore boat. Miller Hill Mall, North Shore Scenic Railroad and Enger Park Golf Course are additional points of interest in the area. The numerous gift shops and antique stores in downtown Duluth are also just blocks away. Your Morning Breakfast is full of hot and delicious options, making breakfast at the Comfort Suites Canal Park the perfect way to start your day. Enjoy our free hot breakfast featuring eggs, meat, yogurt, fresh fruit, cereal and more, including your choice of hot waffle flavors! If you're leaving early, a Your Suite Success™ Grab & Go bag is available for the two hours prior to breakfast. Enjoy an invigorating splash in the indoor heated pool and hot tub. Unwind on the veranda and gazebo overlooking Canal Park, or sit on the lakeside patio and watch ships enter the canal. Doing business is a pleasure in the conference room. Up to 30 people can be accommodated, and the meeting room is equipped with adjustable lighting, audio/visual equipment and free coffee. Business travelers also appreciate high-speed Internet access in all rooms, free local calls and access to fax and copy machines. Rely on this Duluth, MN hotel for relaxing, stylish rooms filled with all the luxuries one can imagine. Rooms include refrigerators, microwaves, sofa sleepers, coffee makers, hair dryers, irons, ironing boards and cable television with HBO. Several luxury suites feature whirlpool bathtubs and romantic views of the surrounding lake and park. A guest laundry facility is also available. Whether traveling for business or pleasure, the Comfort Suites Canal Park provides friendly customer service, inviting accommodations and affordable rates to everyone visiting the Duluth, Minnesota area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Choice Hotels, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets and Tingo so you can book your Comfort Suites Canal Park reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.