“Best location in Canal Park” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #4 of 32 hotels in Duluth
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Best location in Canal Park”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stayed in a king suite for 2 nights. It was lovely with views of the piers and bridge.

2 detriments - the price and the breakfast (food was great, plentiful and many choices) room was crowded and we ended up sitting in a bland conference room down the hall.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Janelle M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Canal Park, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. I am glad that you got to enjoy the views of the piers and the Ariel Lift Bridge. I am sorry that you did not get to enjoy the beautiful views from our breakfast room. We do use our meeting room as overflow when the crowds are too much for our breakfast room to handle. I hope that will not stop you from visiting us again in the future.

309 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
twin cities
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed at this hotel 2 nights in a king suite on the 1st floor. We were VERY impressed with the room cleanliness, décor, granite bathroom counters and window ledges, the bed was very comfortable and we appreciated the choice of soft or firm pillows. We had a separate sofa bed area and Jacuzzi (which we did not use). The room had 2 flat screen TV's and two very large windows. Our view was of the lake and path that many tourists walk/run on, it was so beautiful to see the ships on the lake and the horse drawn carriages pass right by our window on the path. The breakfast in the morning was very good! This hotel is walking distance to everything in canal park.
The things we did not care for was the very thin walls/ceilings. Hearing the people above us walking around just did not jive with how nice the room was - it was disappointing, but not a huge deal, but could have been if there were rowdy folk near by. Although the breakfast was good, there was always a very long line to utilize it and since they ran out of room in the main seating area , they opened up a meeting room in the hall for overflow. When I booked with a 'lakeview' I envisioned a beautiful full view of the lake - since we were 1st floor we were obstructed by a tree and lawn, it was still beautiful, but if you prefer the full view - book for the highest floor you can get.
I could not give 5 circles due to the very high rate we paid matched with the things we didn't care for.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Janelle M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Canal Park, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us at the Comfort Suites Canal Park. It sounds like overall that you had a nice time us. You stayed in one of our best rooms. I apologize that we couldn't have given you a room on a higher floor. That is often the case when we are a full-house that we can only guarantee the room type but not the floor or particular room. I am surprised that you could hear the people above you as most guests say that their rooms in our new addition is very quiet. Hopefully they were just rowdy which you can always give us a call at the front desk and we will ask them to settle down. I hope you come again soon and perhaps we can get you up even higher in the hotel so that you have an even better view.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

This hotel was clean, updated and the staff was extremely helpful and friendly. The beds were really comfortable and the hot continental breakfast was a perfect touch. Amazing views of Lake Superior or canal park. Only bad thing was the rate.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Janelle M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Canal Park, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Thank you for submitting your comments on Trip Advisor! It's wonderful that you had an "amazing" time with us and in Canal Park. We are a bit more pricey but I hope that our service, hotel, and location make it work every penny.
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

We stayed in a king suite with hot tub and fireplace. Room was squeaky clean, beautiful and huge walk in shower, microwave and mini fridge.

Loved our wrap around balcony. Horse drawn carriages right below outside our balcony as was the aerial bridge. Watched ships coming in and out and looking at the lighted bridge from bed at night awesome!

We loved everything about this property..from check in to checkout. Staff friendly, fast, super accommodating. Facility wonderfully maintained and clean. Pool and hot tub area perfect temp and even tho the hotel was full, I always had the pool to myself!

Comp breakfast delicious with hot and cold entrees, coffee was always on!

All attractions right out the door. We highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Corner suites with balcony are awesome but pricey.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
We are so happy that you had a wonderful time at the Comfort Suites Canal Park. It makes our day when we have guests like you that write such wonderful reviews. We hope that you will come again soon and that we can do it all over again!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Our room was excellent! The room was beautiful with an excellent view of the lake. Can't find a much better location! We did have a small problem when checking in, for some reason my credit card was reserving someone else's room because of 'glitch' in their system. Therefore, it took a while to find my reservation (which was under someone else's name that I did not know!). The only other complaint I have is that there was a howling noise for most of the night coming from the balcony door (due to the winds). It was difficult to get to sleep. There was also rain dripping in my this door. Otherwise, I was very happy!!

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room on the lake side and with a balcony.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Janelle M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Canal Park, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Hello! Thanks for making a comment about the Comfort Suites on TripAdvisor. I am so sorry about the issue with your credit card. Our system recently went through an upgrade and the glitch was in that upgrade. It seems that we are ok now and the problem was reported to Choice Hotels. It also sounds like you got to experience one of our storms. The wind can be brutal coming off the Lake and on occasions, it does affect our rooms. For some people, this is exciting as watching a storm on Lake Superior can be very majestic and awesome, but for others, it can cause lack of sleep. I do hope that you will come and stay with us again.
MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed on a Saturday in Oct with the hotel literally booked full. I heard a receptionist tell a caller on the phone they had one room left for the night!

Pros: great area close to shopping, restaurants, bars and of course the lake. Location is top notch. Interesting to see there are 2 hot tub whirlpools in the swimming area, I haven't seen that very often. Wonderful chairs to sit on a porch and tables/ chairs in back of the hotel to enjoy the lake view. All hotel employees encountered very professional.

Cons: due to hotel being full, lines for breakfast items and no place to sit inside. We checked back 30-45 min later still no place to sit. We were glad there were tables outside at least a place to sit there. I know not much the hotel can do about that. I felt the rooms were less sound-proof than recent hotels we've stayed at this year and it seemed that we could hear a good deal of noise from our neighbors. I read the fine print of how you could ask for the (total) charge of $1.60 to be removed from your bill for the room safe which I did the next day at check out. That was annoying to have to do that, once again with a line. A copy of the bill was not provided unless asked for. We did find a couple hairs in the bedding that were not ours.

The location was so good I would consider staying here again, however next time I will be looking more closely at other properties in the area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Greetings! I am terribly sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations in several areas of your stay. I agree that our breakfast room can be quite crowded when we have reached a full house the night before. We do offer overflow seating in our meeting room and if the weather is nice, we do have a lovely back patio facing the Lake for guests to enjoy. We also offer trays so that guests can also dine in the privacy of their rooms if they so choose.

I am not exactly sure where you stayed in the hotel but I am assuming our main part of the building. In the future, I would like to recommend our balcony rooms. This portion of the hotel is our newest and it is a solid steel construction. Many guests love these rooms because they are so much quieter as well as larger than the rooms in the main building.

The safe charge that you read in the fine print is really not meant to be deceptive. What you are paying for is a warranty on any items that you use the safe for up to $5000. When this is waived, then your items that you may have stored in the safe if stolen is no longer covered by this warranty. We do not ask if guests used the safe or not for their safety but instead will gladly remove the charge when asked to do so.

As far as the hair in your bed, I find that unacceptable. I hope that you alerted the front desk so that we could remedy this right away. We really do work hard to make sure that we do a great job cleaning and if something gets missed, we want to know.

I hope that you will give us another try. I know we can make your next experience even better.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Our first stay at this hotel was WONDERFUL. from the room, the location, the pool and more. We loved it. The lake walk is right outside the door and the lift bridge a block away. So many shops and restaurants to explore made for a great time. The hotel staff is so friendly and helpful. The complimentary morning breakfast was very good and the staff that served and restocked the food were so nice. like being in a restaurant. We are looking forward to staying here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Janelle M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Canal Park, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us! I am glad that your first experience at our hotel was a great one. My staff likes to read all the comments on Trip Advisor and you made their day! You made mine too! We look forward to seeing you next time.

Been to Comfort Suites Canal Park? Share your experiences!