“LOVE IT!” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“LOVE IT!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Our room was excellent! The room was beautiful with an excellent view of the lake. Can't find a much better location! We did have a small problem when checking in, for some reason my credit card was reserving someone else's room because of 'glitch' in their system. Therefore, it took a while to find my reservation (which was under someone else's name that I did not know!). The only other complaint I have is that there was a howling noise for most of the night coming from the balcony door (due to the winds). It was difficult to get to sleep. There was also rain dripping in my this door. Otherwise, I was very happy!!

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room on the lake side and with a balcony.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Janelle M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Canal Park, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Hello! Thanks for making a comment about the Comfort Suites on TripAdvisor. I am so sorry about the issue with your credit card. Our system recently went through an upgrade and the glitch was in that upgrade. It seems that we are ok now and the problem was reported to Choice Hotels. It also sounds like you got to experience one of our storms. The wind can be brutal coming off the Lake and on occasions, it does affect our rooms. For some people, this is exciting as watching a storm on Lake Superior can be very majestic and awesome, but for others, it can cause lack of sleep. I do hope that you will come and stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed on a Saturday in Oct with the hotel literally booked full. I heard a receptionist tell a caller on the phone they had one room left for the night!

Pros: great area close to shopping, restaurants, bars and of course the lake. Location is top notch. Interesting to see there are 2 hot tub whirlpools in the swimming area, I haven't seen that very often. Wonderful chairs to sit on a porch and tables/ chairs in back of the hotel to enjoy the lake view. All hotel employees encountered very professional.

Cons: due to hotel being full, lines for breakfast items and no place to sit inside. We checked back 30-45 min later still no place to sit. We were glad there were tables outside at least a place to sit there. I know not much the hotel can do about that. I felt the rooms were less sound-proof than recent hotels we've stayed at this year and it seemed that we could hear a good deal of noise from our neighbors. I read the fine print of how you could ask for the (total) charge of $1.60 to be removed from your bill for the room safe which I did the next day at check out. That was annoying to have to do that, once again with a line. A copy of the bill was not provided unless asked for. We did find a couple hairs in the bedding that were not ours.

The location was so good I would consider staying here again, however next time I will be looking more closely at other properties in the area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Greetings! I am terribly sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations in several areas of your stay. I agree that our breakfast room can be quite crowded when we have reached a full house the night before. We do offer overflow seating in our meeting room and if the weather is nice, we do have a lovely back patio facing the Lake for guests to enjoy. We also offer trays so that guests can also dine in the privacy of their rooms if they so choose.

I am not exactly sure where you stayed in the hotel but I am assuming our main part of the building. In the future, I would like to recommend our balcony rooms. This portion of the hotel is our newest and it is a solid steel construction. Many guests love these rooms because they are so much quieter as well as larger than the rooms in the main building.

The safe charge that you read in the fine print is really not meant to be deceptive. What you are paying for is a warranty on any items that you use the safe for up to $5000. When this is waived, then your items that you may have stored in the safe if stolen is no longer covered by this warranty. We do not ask if guests used the safe or not for their safety but instead will gladly remove the charge when asked to do so.

As far as the hair in your bed, I find that unacceptable. I hope that you alerted the front desk so that we could remedy this right away. We really do work hard to make sure that we do a great job cleaning and if something gets missed, we want to know.

I hope that you will give us another try. I know we can make your next experience even better.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Our first stay at this hotel was WONDERFUL. from the room, the location, the pool and more. We loved it. The lake walk is right outside the door and the lift bridge a block away. So many shops and restaurants to explore made for a great time. The hotel staff is so friendly and helpful. The complimentary morning breakfast was very good and the staff that served and restocked the food were so nice. like being in a restaurant. We are looking forward to staying here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Janelle M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Canal Park, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us! I am glad that your first experience at our hotel was a great one. My staff likes to read all the comments on Trip Advisor and you made their day! You made mine too! We look forward to seeing you next time.
Princeton, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I was so extreamly please with this hotel! We went up for a 3 day vacation to celebrate my birthday and I couldnt have been any more happy...You are all awesome! Great Service..Great Views..Great Place...I would and will stay again and again..my only negative is that the carpet threw out the building and encluding our room needs to be replaced but it was a minor thing..expecially after we saw our view...Beautiful!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Happy Belated Birthday since I didn't get the opportunity to personally wish you a wonderful day! It sounds like my staff, hotel, and our location made your stay pretty wonderful. I'm sorry that you thought our carpets needed updated. We actually replaced the carpeting less than five years ago. We may have to look into something newer perhaps. We hope you will come again next year for your birthday and maybe we will even get to sing to you.
champlin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Stayed a couple of days with my sisters on our sisters weekend and had a grand time. The Comfort Suites is located next to the aerial bridge and close to shopping and resturants. We had a balcony suite which was wonderful to watch the ships come and go and also the sunrise. The room was clean and the staff very friendly and also had an excellent breakfast. I woud highly recommend this hotel in the canal.

Room Tip: Choose a balcony room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for writing a review for us on TripAdvisor. It sounds like it was a wonderful sister get-a-way! We have some pretty spectacular sunrises over Lake Superior that many of our guests enjoy when they stay in one of our balcony rooms that faces the Lake. This week in particular has been gorgeous with the sunrises and the beautiful fall colors. I hope that you and your sisters will come again real soon!
Columbia, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Perfect location downtown. For a slightly premium one can get a view on the lake. Nice gazebo on front porch, we were a party of 12 and that was very accommodating. There are no doors to communicate between rooms, we missed that. Service is very good, they provided us with paper plates, napkins, plastic cups and plastic silverware so we could snack. Rooms have fridge and safe. Breakfast typical of Comfort Suites.

• Stayed September 2013
Woodbury
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I'm 10 years old, and I'm giving you a kids perspective of the Comfort Suites. My family went to this hotel for my dad's business trip. When we got inside, I was amazed by how nice the lobby was! The person at the front desk was so nice, and gave us the key to our room all in about 5 min.! We went to our room, and it was very clean and had a lot of room. The view was amazing!!! We could see way out into Lake Superior, with a beautiful sunset, and a great view of the pier, and the boardwalk!! It was a walking distance from many restaurants, the shore, and the pier. There was also a few horse carriages!The breakfast was phenomenal, and so was the staff. There was also a some negative things to review too. The pool didn't seem so clean, 'cause there was something that looked like powder floating around. There also was something wrong with the safe. The password didn't work, and we needed it, because we had an iPad with us. But someone came to fix it within 5 minuets after we called. Also the bed was comfy, but pretty cold, and I prefer warmer beds. But still, next time we come to Duluth, I'm gonna beg to go here again!

Room Tip: Do not leave "do not disturb" sign on your door, when you want someone to clean your room...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Janelle M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Canal Park, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
How wonderful it is for a young person to write a review for the Comfort Suites Canal Park! I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. It sounds like you have an awesome Dad to take you on his business trips and you get to enjoy all the fun in Canal Park. I am sorry to hear that the pool wasn't very clean. Did you report it to the staff? We have staff available to help keep it clean. I am sure that your bed warmed right up after you got into it. You are welcome to come visit us again and write another review. It's pretty neat that you did that for us.

Been to Comfort Suites Canal Park? Share your experiences!