“Super Great Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 32 hotels in Duluth
Princeton, Minnesota
“Super Great Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I was so extreamly please with this hotel! We went up for a 3 day vacation to celebrate my birthday and I couldnt have been any more happy...You are all awesome! Great Service..Great Views..Great Place...I would and will stay again and again..my only negative is that the carpet threw out the building and encluding our room needs to be replaced but it was a minor thing..expecially after we saw our view...Beautiful!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Janelle M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Canal Park, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Happy Belated Birthday since I didn't get the opportunity to personally wish you a wonderful day! It sounds like my staff, hotel, and our location made your stay pretty wonderful. I'm sorry that you thought our carpets needed updated. We actually replaced the carpeting less than five years ago. We may have to look into something newer perhaps. We hope you will come again next year for your birthday and maybe we will even get to sing to you.

318 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
champlin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Stayed a couple of days with my sisters on our sisters weekend and had a grand time. The Comfort Suites is located next to the aerial bridge and close to shopping and resturants. We had a balcony suite which was wonderful to watch the ships come and go and also the sunrise. The room was clean and the staff very friendly and also had an excellent breakfast. I woud highly recommend this hotel in the canal.

Room Tip: Choose a balcony room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for writing a review for us on TripAdvisor. It sounds like it was a wonderful sister get-a-way! We have some pretty spectacular sunrises over Lake Superior that many of our guests enjoy when they stay in one of our balcony rooms that faces the Lake. This week in particular has been gorgeous with the sunrises and the beautiful fall colors. I hope that you and your sisters will come again real soon!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Perfect location downtown. For a slightly premium one can get a view on the lake. Nice gazebo on front porch, we were a party of 12 and that was very accommodating. There are no doors to communicate between rooms, we missed that. Service is very good, they provided us with paper plates, napkins, plastic cups and plastic silverware so we could snack. Rooms have fridge and safe. Breakfast typical of Comfort Suites.

• Stayed September 2013
Woodbury
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I'm 10 years old, and I'm giving you a kids perspective of the Comfort Suites. My family went to this hotel for my dad's business trip. When we got inside, I was amazed by how nice the lobby was! The person at the front desk was so nice, and gave us the key to our room all in about 5 min.! We went to our room, and it was very clean and had a lot of room. The view was amazing!!! We could see way out into Lake Superior, with a beautiful sunset, and a great view of the pier, and the boardwalk!! It was a walking distance from many restaurants, the shore, and the pier. There was also a few horse carriages!The breakfast was phenomenal, and so was the staff. There was also a some negative things to review too. The pool didn't seem so clean, 'cause there was something that looked like powder floating around. There also was something wrong with the safe. The password didn't work, and we needed it, because we had an iPad with us. But someone came to fix it within 5 minuets after we called. Also the bed was comfy, but pretty cold, and I prefer warmer beds. But still, next time we come to Duluth, I'm gonna beg to go here again!

Room Tip: Do not leave "do not disturb" sign on your door, when you want someone to clean your room...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Janelle M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Canal Park, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
How wonderful it is for a young person to write a review for the Comfort Suites Canal Park! I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. It sounds like you have an awesome Dad to take you on his business trips and you get to enjoy all the fun in Canal Park. I am sorry to hear that the pool wasn't very clean. Did you report it to the staff? We have staff available to help keep it clean. I am sure that your bed warmed right up after you got into it. You are welcome to come visit us again and write another review. It's pretty neat that you did that for us.
Madison, SD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

My wife and I left reluctantly left Minneapolis, Mn after a couple days of exploring the downtown area where we stayed on Nicolette Mall - previous review. Anyway we left downtown Minneapolis and headed up 35 W a short distance to ultimately merge and travel north on 35 N the next 169 miles to Duluth.
We thought we knew where we were going to and had reservations and everything. As I said in a prior review, our usual mode of travel is with "no" reservations.
We arrived in Duluth at Canal Park about 1:30pm and proceeded to where we had planned originally to stay. We walked into the lobby to check in and inquired about the room we would be given. The hotel reacted as though they were just finishing with the rooms. However, I asked if we could be given a preview of what we would be given before I finalized everything with my plastic card. Upon seeing the room and inquiring about the price it amounted to $140 - $150 per night without taxes and this for a room without a view of the water. We were shown a room with a view of the Canal and this was without a balcony and they wanted $190 per night before taxes. Both these rooms were simply overpriced and were not as big as they appeared in their advertisements. Consequently I mentioned to the front clerk that this was not exactly what I thought we could be happy with for that amount of money so they were gracious enough to cancel our reservations. Very embarrassing, this is why I prefer to travel without reservations.
So my wife and I drove down the street and if you've ever been to Duluth and Canal Park there are several higher end Hotels along the lake front so I expected to either find no room or no rooms that I would care to spend the money on. However, the first Hotel we came to was right there next to the piers and the two lighthouses, Grandma's Saloon and all the cute gift shops with Little Angie's Cantina right next door to everything.
We decided to check out the Comfort Suites Hotel as we did not feel like walking around the rest of the afternoon price shopping. We were lucky as they told us they had a room for us on the bottom level with Lake Superior view and with a balcony for $220 per night. We took the room as it was exactly what we had wanted and the money appeared to only be another 25-30 dollars a night with twice as much room for the money. As it turned out the final price was $189.00 per night which was an extremely good deal for the kind of room it was.
We were given a king bed (so soft and so big), spacious clean bathroom, very large room with flat screen television, wireless internet, refrigerator, coffee maker, free continental breakfast in the mornings with bar, appetizers, & dining area in the evenings - all complimentary of course except the drinks. Our wall papered room had sofa, coffee table, floor lamps, desks & furniture, balcony looking out of the Lake Walk and Lake Superior and was about a 3 minute walk to "everything" of importance. The Hotel Staff were very friendly, cleaned our rooms daily & stocked with bathroom towels & articles. We had coffee maker & condiments for our room as well as desk for our laptop computer.
Incidentally, the hotel had a physical fitness room with all the different machines and weight equipment plus an inside very large heated swimming pool & jacuzzi as well. The Comfort Suites Hotel on Canal Park Drive is in a superb location and I would happily go there to stay again, I highly recommend it . . .

A VERY pleasant experience this trip and the rates were low considering Duluth was full of leftover Holiday tourists from the Labor Day weekend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Wow, it looks like you had quite the adventure before you got to us! I am so sorry to hear that your experience earlier in the day left a bad taste in your mouth, however, I am so glad it brought you to us! I hope that the next time you come to Duluth, you come straight to us. We would love to give you the same wonderful experience that you left with.
Honolulu
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

A pleasant surprise for the chain. Great accommodations, excellent location, lake view on the Lake Walk (next to the aerial lift bridge), excellent staff, very good complimentary breakfast. Next to Canal Park shopping and restaurants.

Room Tip: Get a Lake view room. I had 308.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
I am so glad that we can surprise you being a Comfort Suites and part of the Choice Hotel brands. We really aren't your typical Comfort Suites but pride ourselves as being one of the best in our brand. Our location next to the lake and other sites makes us a prime destination for many of our guests vacations. We look forward to seeing you again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

My family has been coming to this hotel for the past 5 years, and we still love it! This hotel has the best room rates in canal park, and is right on Lake Superior. The rooms and building are clean and look nice. You also get a complimentary breakfast with your stay, which has a great selection of food!
I will defiantly be coming back to this hotel again, and I recommend it to anyone else wanting to stay in Duluth.

• Stayed August 2013
Janelle M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Canal Park, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Greetings! Thank you so much for being one of our loyal, returning guests! Five years is a long time and we appreciate you. We look forward to seeing you again real soon.

Been to Comfort Suites Canal Park? Share your experiences!