My wife and I left reluctantly left Minneapolis, Mn after a couple days of exploring the downtown area where we stayed on Nicolette Mall - previous review. Anyway we left downtown Minneapolis and headed up 35 W a short distance to ultimately merge and travel north on 35 N the next 169 miles to Duluth.
We thought we knew where we were going to and had reservations and everything. As I said in a prior review, our usual mode of travel is with "no" reservations.
We arrived in Duluth at Canal Park about 1:30pm and proceeded to where we had planned originally to stay. We walked into the lobby to check in and inquired about the room we would be given. The hotel reacted as though they were just finishing with the rooms. However, I asked if we could be given a preview of what we would be given before I finalized everything with my plastic card. Upon seeing the room and inquiring about the price it amounted to $140 - $150 per night without taxes and this for a room without a view of the water. We were shown a room with a view of the Canal and this was without a balcony and they wanted $190 per night before taxes. Both these rooms were simply overpriced and were not as big as they appeared in their advertisements. Consequently I mentioned to the front clerk that this was not exactly what I thought we could be happy with for that amount of money so they were gracious enough to cancel our reservations. Very embarrassing, this is why I prefer to travel without reservations.
So my wife and I drove down the street and if you've ever been to Duluth and Canal Park there are several higher end Hotels along the lake front so I expected to either find no room or no rooms that I would care to spend the money on. However, the first Hotel we came to was right there next to the piers and the two lighthouses, Grandma's Saloon and all the cute gift shops with Little Angie's Cantina right next door to everything.
We decided to check out the Comfort Suites Hotel as we did not feel like walking around the rest of the afternoon price shopping. We were lucky as they told us they had a room for us on the bottom level with Lake Superior view and with a balcony for $220 per night. We took the room as it was exactly what we had wanted and the money appeared to only be another 25-30 dollars a night with twice as much room for the money. As it turned out the final price was $189.00 per night which was an extremely good deal for the kind of room it was.
We were given a king bed (so soft and so big), spacious clean bathroom, very large room with flat screen television, wireless internet, refrigerator, coffee maker, free continental breakfast in the mornings with bar, appetizers, & dining area in the evenings - all complimentary of course except the drinks. Our wall papered room had sofa, coffee table, floor lamps, desks & furniture, balcony looking out of the Lake Walk and Lake Superior and was about a 3 minute walk to "everything" of importance. The Hotel Staff were very friendly, cleaned our rooms daily & stocked with bathroom towels & articles. We had coffee maker & condiments for our room as well as desk for our laptop computer.
Incidentally, the hotel had a physical fitness room with all the different machines and weight equipment plus an inside very large heated swimming pool & jacuzzi as well. The Comfort Suites Hotel on Canal Park Drive is in a superb location and I would happily go there to stay again, I highly recommend it . . .
A VERY pleasant experience this trip and the rates were low considering Duluth was full of leftover Holiday tourists from the Labor Day weekend.
- Also Known As:
- Comfort Suites Canal Park Hotel
- Comfort Suites Canal Park Hotel Duluth
- Comfort Suites Duluth
- Comfort Suites Duluth Mn
- Comfort Suite Canal Park Duluth
- Duluth Comfort Suites
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Comfort Suites® Canal Park is near Lake Superior, Canal Park, historic Aerial Lift Bridge, Duluth Entertainment Convention Center, University of Minnesota Duluth and Glensheen, the Historic Congdon Estate, "Duluth's American Castle." Spirit Mountain, Duluth International Airport and the University of Wisconsin-Superior are located just 10 miles from this Duluth, MN hotel. The hotel is also walking distance from Lake Superior Marine Museum, Carnival Thrillz Family Entertainment Center and the Great Lakes Floating Maritime Museum, featuring the S.S. William A Irvin ore boat. Miller Hill Mall, North Shore Scenic Railroad and Enger Park Golf Course are additional points of interest in the area. The numerous gift shops and antique stores in downtown Duluth are also just blocks away. Your Morning Breakfast is full of hot and delicious options, making breakfast at the Comfort Suites Canal Park the perfect way to start your day. Enjoy our free hot breakfast featuring eggs, meat, yogurt, fresh fruit, cereal and more, including your choice of hot waffle flavors! If you're leaving early, a Your Suite Success™ Grab & Go bag is available for the two hours prior to breakfast. Enjoy an invigorating splash in the indoor heated pool and hot tub. Unwind on the veranda and gazebo overlooking Canal Park, or sit on the lakeside patio and watch ships enter the canal. Doing business is a pleasure in the conference room. Up to 30 people can be accommodated, and the meeting room is equipped with adjustable lighting, audio/visual equipment and free coffee. Business travelers also appreciate high-speed Internet access in all rooms, free local calls and access to fax and copy machines. Rely on this Duluth, MN hotel for relaxing, stylish rooms filled with all the luxuries one can imagine. Rooms include refrigerators, microwaves, sofa sleepers, coffee makers, hair dryers, irons, ironing boards and cable television with HBO. Several luxury suites feature whirlpool bathtubs and romantic views of the surrounding lake and park. A guest laundry facility is also available. Whether traveling for business or pleasure, the Comfort Suites Canal Park provides friendly customer service, inviting accommodations and affordable rates to everyone visiting the Duluth, Minnesota area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Choice Hotels, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz and Tingo so you can book your Comfort Suites Canal Park reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.