“Good Value, Ghost Hotel.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #2 of 34 Hotels in Duluth
Minnetonka, Minnesota
“Good Value, Ghost Hotel.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

Looked for a off peak season place to stay near the lift bridge and highly considered the four hotels located right off of Canal Park. We really wanted a hot tub room, facing the (frigid January) Lake Superior. When we found that the Comfort Suites was the cheapest, and also the closest to Canal Park, we jumped on it.

During check in, the front desk informed us that we were going to be upgraded due to plumbing repair that would need to be preformed on our selected room the following day. We ended up getting the top of the line Suite with a Jacuzzi, Balcony, and Fireplace for the lesser price (Which was already MUCH cheaper than other Hotels near Canal Park). Awesome deal. As the other reviews mention, the King Sized bed was very comfortable. The strange thing about the Hotel however, was that it was unusually empty. While it was freezing cold in January and everything touristy was closed, the other 3 Hotels appeared to be very well booked. The Comfort Suites was nearly empty.

The free Breakfast was nice, but some of the food was inedible. (Lets invest in some real eggs!) We didn't have a problem with the (free) Internet's speed, but we didn't bother using Netflix or anything demanding. Would stay here again, but would never be able to afford the same room during high tourist season.

Room Tip: Units in the newer wing are a lot nicer. These rooms are usually the ones that are more expensive wi...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Janell M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Canal Park, responded to this review, February 9, 2012
Thanks for such kind words! I'm so glad to hear that you were able to enjoy your stay with us. We are in the process of upgrading our breakfast products and hope that you will enjoy them a bit more on your next trip. Again, we appreciate your review and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Reedsburg, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

Canal Park area is a nice place to stay, this property is located in a nice spot. The rooms are a little worn out as is the lobby. Pretty good breakfast.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Thanks for your comments! We are going to be undergoing several renovations within the next year and are excited to show our guests the finished product. We hope that you will come back and check them out!
Minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

Great location! Excellent staff. Super friendly and super clean. The only downside is that we had literally the first room on the first floor right next to the lobby. This room was in the older section of the hotel and was definitely a little dated. The pull out couch was not at all comfortable and the accomadations were tight. However, my friends had a room on the 3rd floor in the newer addition and it was awesome. The staff and the location and the friendliness of everyone totally made up for a bad pull out bed. The view was outstanding and the one benefit of the first floor room was making it out to the beach walk in under a minute!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newer addition.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Janell M, General Manager at Comfort Suites Canal Park, responded to this review, February 10, 2012
Thanks for such great feedback! I'm sorry to hear that you found the sofa sleeper to be uncomfortable. However, I'm so glad to hear that the rest of your stay made up for it. Our balcony suites in the new addition are definitely a fantastic upgrade--especially on a warm spring day. I welcome you to come back and try them out!
Orr, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

The location right next to the Lift Bridge is great. The room (with 1 king-size bed) was clean and modern with a nice sofa sitting area; the bathroom was very spacious. The breakfast was good and offered in a nice space looking out at Lake Superior.

My credit card was charged 24 hours in advance of my reservation, so if I didn't cancel before then, I'd be charged for at least one night. I can accept this practice if I'm booking a resort during high season, but this is very low season for Duluth. There were just a handful of people staying overnight when I was there. If I had cancelled by 6:00 the night of my stay (as for most hotels) they wouldn't have lost money due to my preventing someone else from booking the room.

My pet peeve: there was a $1.50/night safe fee. I did notice this at registration and declined to pay, but how many people don't? It's a sleazy way to make a few extra bucks.

The staff was quite ho-hum every time I approached the desk.

Normally I stay at the Inn on Lake Superior, which is next door. They offer a nice off-season rate through the Northland Coupon book. This year, Comfort Suites offered the same deal. So, I thought I'd try it and see how I liked it. I'll be going back to the Inn from now on. The ambience there is friendlier and offers more amenities than does the Comfort Suites.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Thank you for reviewing our hotel! I appreciate your feedback, but I'd like to clarify a few points to avoid confusion on your next reservation. We have a 24 cancellation policy. It is true that we run a "pre authorization" on your credit cards 2 days prior to when you arrive--this is to ensure your room for late arrival. This pre authorization is released should you need to cancel your reservation for any reason prior to 6pm the night before you are expected to arrive. As for the safe fee, I understand that this policy may be viewed as frustrating. We certainly aren't trying to be "sleazy," we simply want to give our guests the privacy of carrying valuables without our knowledge. The safes were put in the rooms after we had many guest requests for them. We allow the charge to be seperate from the room rate to allow our guests to adjust this fee, rather than including in the rate as many hotels do. The fee can be refused at any point while you are here. I'm sorry to hear that you won't be staying with us again; we would love for you to give us another try sometime! If you have any further comments or suggestions, I welcome you to contact me. Again, thanks for your review!
Bluffton, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

I enjoyed my 5 day stay, the room, the staff, and the spa was the correct temperature of 104c. I was able to conduct business 1800. miles away in the comfort of my room and the front desk was very attentive. The sitting area on the main floor over looked the lake.

Yes I will return!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Thank you for your kind review! We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. Our spa is a fantastic way to relax after a busy day of work; I'm glad that you were able to enjoy it! We hope to see you soon!
wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

I would highly recommend staying at Comfort Suites Canal Park! Our room was ready early for us as i had some minor surgery in Duluth and needed to rest after. The staff was wonderful and very welcoming. The room was clean even in the corners of the room. The bed had fresh, clean sheets and the mattress was very comfortable and pillows were soft and clean. Breakfast was excellent with numerous choices! Hot scrambled eggs that were great along with many other choices. Location allowed us to walk to Bentleyville (would highly recommend) and available restaurants in the area. We plan to stay here again next year. Comfort Suites is excellent all around.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Great location, Walked the boardwalk, watched the bridge go up and a ship full of grain go by.
Breakfast was poor and we had to wait for the main items to be replenished. Coffee was empty all the time. Room felt crowded with a chair and sofa in the small suite. Elevator is very slow and the stairs to the third floor are at either end of the building. Woke up by ships blowing horn for the bridge.

Room Tip: Lake side rooms have great view.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! I'm so sorry to hear that we ran out of coffee for you. It is offered 24 hours a day; and while we try to keep an eye on it, it can sometimes go quicker than expected. Please let us know if we are out and we would be more than happy to replenish it with a few fresh pots. We realize that the bridge horn may be startling if you aren't expecting it, but it's a Duluth trademark--perhaps a blessing and a curse! Again, we appreciate your comments and hope to see you again in the future.