“Very comfortable” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Duluth Spirit Mountain Inn - Americas Best Value

Save Saved
You added Duluth Spirit Mountain Inn - Americas Best Value to your Saves list
Duluth Spirit Mountain Inn - Americas Best Value
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   9315 Westgate Blvd, Duluth, MN 55810 (Formerly Red Roof Inn Duluth Spirit Mountain)   |
Ranked #26 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Thunder Bay, Canada
“Very comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

We have stayed here on more than one occasion. It is our new go to location for Duluth. The breakfast was very good and the rooms are very homey and comfortable. It is a convenient location right off the 35. However the toilet in the room was not clean and there carpet in the room was dirty. The sheets on the bed were too small and we woke up in the morning sleeping on a bare mattress. Overall we do really enjoy this hotel and I would reccomend it regardless of these inconviences.

• Stayed January 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Centerville, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

We came back to the hotel about 10:30 after shopping and having fun. We could not find a parking spot because trucks and trailers were taking up the closer spots, we had to park way away from the hotel in the dark because the street light kept going on and off plus some street lights did not come on at all. We could not get on the wifi, the steps were steep and slippery, one of the doors was broken so it was hard to get the luggage through the door, the room was bad and needs to be updated. I did check in at about 5:00 to the room and went back out, the one that checked us in was nice. I went to the front when we got back at 10:30 to complain about the parking and the first thing that she asked if I have four wheel drive and I don't. When I told him the other issues and that I would like a discount and he said that we can't do that but we can credit your account and you can go somewhere else at 11:00 at night, he says that other hotels will have rooms but it was a busy weekend. I found a room across the street and I saved 1.35. I will say if you want to stay at Bates motel stay here but if you want to get treated well go across the street to Best Western Plus.

Room Tip: Duluth has better places to stay but not here.
Msp
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

Don't bother getting a poolside room, waste of money. Door is 4ft from small pool area and hot tube not on same side of hotel. Breakfast is ok if you like your waffles in scraped off chunks because the worker won't give up the spray bottle so every other waffle has to be scraped off. When asked if she could leave the spray she ran away with it and said " I wish I could". They discouraged using your own cups for juice and drinks also. Needless to say breakfast took a long time and was probably under surveillance cameras. Had a nice hang out area (meeting room) but lots if rules.
Definitely only a place to sleep.

Stacy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

My grown daughter and I wanted to get away for relaxation, lots of talking time and we needed a pool. we picked Spirit Mountain Inn because of the price. We received so much more than a good price, everyone was helpful and nice. our room, the lobby and pool/hot tub/sauna areas were all clean and inviting. We will stay here again!

La Pointe, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

We were passing through Duluth and found Duluth Spirit Mountain Inn. We were very pleased with our stay - the room was nice and clean, beds comfy! Any people noise in the hallway stopped at 10:30 - we were ready for sleep then - very quiet night. Only issue, not a biggie, would be nice if bed was queen not full - we could have upgraded, however. Nice place - will stay again!

Room Tip: Upper floor could be quieter - pool on lower level
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Coon Rapids, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

I am writing in regards to my recent experience at your hotel. I was staying there for two nights 1/17-1/19/2014 with my son’s hockey team. I had reserved a room over the phone on 11/9/2013 for the two nights at a rate of $104.99+tax. I had reserved the room on my credit card knowing full well that I would be paying for the room with cash upon check in.
On 1/16/2014, I contacted the hotel regarding the policy that was written in the email that I received as a reservation confirmation. In this policy it states:
“Check-In Time: 3:30 p.m. – Your room is guaranteed with a valid credit card until 11 p.m. the day of arrival. You will need to present the valid credit card and picture ID at check-in. Your credit card will authorized for the amount of your stay the day before you arrive. We suggest not using a debit card when making your reservation to avoid an authorization hold on your bank account. Authorizations on debit cards may take 7-14 business days to be released on your bank account. This depends on your banks processing time; we have no control how long it may take for the funds to be released. We are not responsible for overdrafts or fees associated with your debit card. You may pay at check-out by credit card, debit card, or cash. If your credit/debit card is declined, and cannot be authorized for the amount of your room reservation, your reservation may be cancelled and release to be re-sold to the general public because it is not a valid reservation without a credit card authorizations. Only guests listed on the reservation may check-in.”
Since I knew that my credit card would be declined upon pre-authorization, I contacted your hotel regarding my stay. I did not want to travel 2 ½ hours only to find out that my reservation was cancelled and I did not have a room. I spoke with the front desk staff who I later found out was Michele. I told her that I would be checking in on 1/17/2014 and that the credit card that I used to reserve the room under would be declined if processed, but I would be paying in cash for my stay. I told her that I was concerned that my reservation was going to be cancelled due to the hotels policy and wanted to make sure that the hotel was aware of the situation. I asked SEVERAL times if I would need to do anything else regarding payment or deposit of my reservation. She assured me that there would not be ANY issues and paying with cash WAS NOT a problem.
Upon arrival, which was around 4:00 p.m., I just happen to have Michele checking me in at the time. I told her that I would be paying in cash for the room and when she REPEATEDLY asked for my credit card to authorize the payment on the room, I had to keep explaining to her that the card would be declined and I would be paying in cash for the room. She made a total of 4 trips into the office on her right to ask questions about my situation. Two of the times she came back to me AGAIN and asked me for my credit card to authorize my stay. The third time she came back and told me that I had to pay a $300 cash deposit that would be held in an envelope that she drew a bunch of lines and x’s on for signatures and dates. I was informed that this $300 deposit would be returned to me upon check out on 1/19/2014. At that time, I had already spent 30 minutes at the check-in counter and there was a line of about 10 people trying to check-in also. I informed her that when her and I spoke on the phone that there was NO mention of ANY deposit and it was a good thing that I had brought extra cash with me because people don’t typically carry an extra $300 on them unless they have a reason for needing that much cash (like if the hotel had stated I would need to provide a $300 deposit).
I have SEVERAL issues with my check-in situation along with the hotel in general. When I originally read the hotels policy, I had gone to your website to see if there were other rooms available in case I did loose my reservation. I did in fact find the same room for that weekend at a rate of $95.99 per night, which is $9.00 less per night than what our whole group had paid. Maybe my thought is wrong on this, but considering your website boasts about being “one of Duluth’s leading group of hosting hotels” I find it quite amazing that group rates are more expensive than last minute reservations. Not only that, but we were required to have our rooms booked 2 months in advance and only allowed to cancel our reservation up to 30 days before our stay. So if we did not cancel our reservation by 12/16/2013, we would be charged the “two night minimum room plus tax fee”. But yet if you made your reservation on-line, you only needed to cancel 1-2 days before your stay.
When I pulled into the hotel, my vehicle barely made it up the driveway due to the steep grade of the driveway and the amount of snow and ice on it. There was hardly any parking available because of all the warning signs about only 4-wheel drive vehicles being allowed in the lower lots. The front entrance had use of only one of the doors as the other door had hazard tape all over it for some reason. The Wi-Fi service that was offered absolutely sucked as I could receive signal on one side of my room and no signal on the other side of my room. I could go on about the other “hotel rules” that we were given, but I think that you get my point.
I will be forwarding this email on to anyone that I can find within your company and within Americas Best Value Inn website so that no one else ever needs to deal with this again.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Parking and driving into parking lots is challenging with the more snow that falls, but this is Duluth though and snow is always expected. Approaches to the lots are steep and you need good tires or 4-wheel drive. The pool is acceptable but not many chairs in the pool area. The sauna and small hot tub are located in a separate area down the hall don’t have many chairs either. There is a meeting room that you can use for pot-lucks but would need to be shared by any hockey teams in the hotel. We had four this past weekend. Hockey gear is allowed in the rooms but sticks need to stay in the car. The food area is very small and seating again limited. Acceptable basic breakfast options: waffles, bagels, toast, min muffins, two cereals, oatmeal, coffee, OJ, apple juice, milk, cappuccino. This hotel was not built to accommodate groups like hockey teams but have done the best they can with limited space. Hockey teams should search elsewhere as there are many hotels better set up for teams. Good location though for Proctor and Hermantown arenas if this is your main criteria. Nice hotel for a family who wants to hang out or ski for the weekend. Staff is very friendly and took care of noise issues once notified. 10:30am check out time is too early. If you have an afternoon game you will need to find somewhere in the area to go before game time. Arcade area is good size buts lacks good game selections. Steps are steep going into the lobby and from floor to floor. The rooms are small yet very clean. Small sink/vanity area. Plenty of hot water and water pressure. One bed needed to be replaced but other bed was comfy. Good pillow selection. Excellent view of harbor and ski hill from our room. The hotel is overpriced for its location and amenities and should not be charging over $90/night at any time. Older reviews are invalid as the hotel has recently been remodeled.

Room Tip: Ask for harbor side view on the 3rd floor. Some 2nd floor rooms would also work but others on this...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Duluth Spirit Mountain Inn - Americas Best Value? Share your experiences!