“decent hotel if you like stairs” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Duluth Spirit Mountain Inn - Americas Best Value

You added Duluth Spirit Mountain Inn - Americas Best Value to your Saves list
Duluth Spirit Mountain Inn - Americas Best Value
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   9315 Westgate Blvd, Duluth, MN 55810 (Formerly Red Roof Inn Duluth Spirit Mountain)   |
Hotel virtual tour
Special Offer
Stay 2+ Nights - Save 20%
Ranked #26 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Lakeville, Minnesota
“decent hotel if you like stairs”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Unusual location and setup of hotel with no elevator. One needs to walk down a flight of stairs to get to the lobby but if you stay on the 2nd floor there is a ramp at the end of the building. Rooms had a cabin, rustic feel. Breakfast was usual but room was small and very crowded. They did have an alternate room on another floor available but then you'd have to carry your plate downstairs and carrying liquids I could just see this as a disaster waiting to happen. Hotel was full so parking was limited. Probably will not stay here again as I can find nicer places downtown Duluth or about the same price.

Room Tip: If you get a room facing the highway it will be a good view. 2nd floor has a ramp so you don't...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
dsminn5, General Manager at Duluth Spirit Mountain Inn - Americas Best Value, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed the décor of our rooms and enjoyed our rustic lodge feel. Our location at the top of the hill gives our rooms a very nice view of the area. We do not have an elevator, as you mentioned, but our staff is more than willing to offer assistance with carrying luggage for our guests if needed. We have plenty of parking for the number of rooms we have, but unfortunately the closer spots fill up first in the evening. We appreciate your feedback, and hope that you choose to stay with us again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Circle Pines, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

In the past I have stayed at the Duluth Spirit Mountain Inn and enjoyed my stay. I will never stay there again!! Senior citizens are not the problem clientele.
The greeting was not friendly, I was told they will take an imprint of my card so if I incur any damages they can charge my card, and that check out was 10:30 AM. I understand the card imprint, every hotel does that, but never have I been told that I may damage something so they will imprint the card, and never have I been told check out was 10:30 AM. The breakfast was continental, not a full breakfast as advertised. The pillows were all lumpy. There were no amenities except a small packet of shampoo that was hard to open and was not adequate. Of course the charge was high due to being a peak season but I think the charges for that hotel was not warranted. With tax, was over $200 a night. With that kind of a price it should include better customer service and basic amenities.
A kind greeting and friendliness would go a long way with customer relations. (Per my husband) If they are going to screw the customer, they should do it with a smile. Senior citizens are not the problem clientele.

Room Tip: The view facing Spirit Mountain was beautiful!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns about your recent stay with us. We are very sorry about what you experienced at check-in. It is our policy to imprint every guest’s credit card for any incidentals, including possible damage charges, but our front desk staff should never make a guest feel they are under scrutiny for it. I apologize that it came across that way. We pride ourselves at giving excellent customer service, and I have spoken to the staff to make sure this occurrence is not repeated. Our check-out time has always been 10:30, however, and it is one of the things we make sure to inform our guests at check-in along with breakfast times and parking locations. We also do offer a later check-out of 11:00 at no extra cost if a guest requests it.

We offer many additional toiletries at the front desk such as extra shampoo, conditioner and lotion that we are happy to provide to our guests upon request. Our breakfast is a deluxe breakfast because we offer make-your-own waffles and cappuccino along with toast, bagels, muffins, cereal, etc. It is one step under the full breakfast but I apologize if there was any miscommunication about it. I do not believe that we advertise a full breakfast anywhere, but I will make sure to go through and double check that it’s not advertised. Again, I’m very sorry about the issues you experienced with us, and hope that you will give us another try in the future. We are a family hotel and want guests of all ages to feel welcomed when they stay with us.
Atwater, MN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This was not a pleasant experience, with the exception of the fall leaves which we could have seen without the stay. The "deluxe breakfast" is forgettable; the rooms are old; tiny bathroom; strong smell of chlorine in hallways. We were swayed by the pleasant desription while on hold waiting to book the room in advance of the popular Duluth Air Show. Never again. Back to Canal Street where they understand the hospitality industry.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
We are sorry that you weren’t pleased with your recent stay at our hotel. Our hotel may not be new but our staff works hard to keep the entire building clean and comfortable. We renovate areas as needed and focus on continual growth and improvement with our décor as well. We were completely sold out during the weekend of the Duluth Air Show, but if you had brought your concerns about the chlorine smell to the staff’s attention immediately, they could have tried to move you to a room farther away from the pool area. We try to accommodate our guests’ requests as best we can, but we need to be aware of the problem before we can help to correct it. Thank you for sharing your concerns, and again, we are sorry you weren’t satisfied with your stay. Hopefully you will give us another chance in the future.
Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stayed here through Hotwire, during Labor day weekend. Paid a little more than we typically pay with Hotwire, but it was a Holiday weekend after all.
Front desk very nice and friendly. Busy hotel, lots of kids using the pool area, whcih is in lower/basement level.
Room was fairly large, very clean. Only complaint was dripping of air conditioner unit above us i think, which was a fairly constant drip, which we heard if our unit wasn't running. So we ran our unit most of the time, and it was fine. Only other issue was hearing people walk around above us-but got better after pool closed at 1000p. My fault for not asking for a room on the top floor.
Breakfast was typical and average. Waffles were good, but room for breakfast was very small, so we had to eat in basement/meeting room which was fine.

Room Tip: Too Floor away from pool
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and share your experience. Labor Day weekend was very busy for us. We are happy that you were satisfied with your room. Our staff does everything they can to make sure the hotel is clean and that our guests feel welcome during their stay. Our breakfast area is quaint, which is why we offer the seating in our meeting room. We are glad the hotel quieted down after 10 o’clock, but in the future, any time you hear noise or have a problem like the dripping air conditioner we appreciate if you let our staff know so we can look into fixing the problem for you. We hope that you stay with us again in the future.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I ended up scoring an okay price on this hotel for Labor Day weekend (Thursday night). That "okay" price was $77 including tax and I STILL felt I overpaid.

The thing is, we stayed here to extend our stay in Duluth by one day, before moving on to our hotel in Duluth proper. We also stayed here for nostalgic purposes, as I was traveling with my sister and we LOVED this place as kids when we did our annual ski trip to Spirit Mountain.

But you know how things change when you look through it via adult eyes? Yeah, that's kind of what happened.

This hotel is located in Proctor, right off I-35. It overlooks the highway and the Little Store gas station (which we walked to from the hotel to pick up some soda. That gas station is very shady at 10pm!) So if you're thinking of staying here and plan on spending your time in Duluth, just know that it's about a 10 minute drive into the city.

The worst thing about this place is that there is no elevator. You're going to have to haul your luggage up and down the steep steps. Not fun when you are tired from driving!

Other people noted the noise. We did not experience this, and the hotel was packed. However, we were on the third (top) floor.

The room was basic, clean and did NOT smell like smoke. It was fine for one night.

Breakfast area is TINY. They shut 'er down at 9am, which is far too early. The area is BUSY but the selection isn't that bad.

The hallways are kinda dark and depressing. The

This place is filled to the brim with kids. When I've stayed here before (as a kid, no doubt), I never batted an eye -- of course, because *I* was a kid. As an adult with no children, this was irksome, as they are running around unsupervised in the breakfast area, the pool, game room, parking lot and adult-only hot tub.

It's also filled with questionable adults. In the breakfast area, I placed our newspaper on our table to mark our spot. While we were making our waffles, someone stole our newspaper (that I purchased) right off our table! I told the front desk clerk and she happily gave me a new one. Also in the breakfast area, the waffle irons are constantly in use and rude people abound. There's no taking turns. It's a free-for-all.

I will say though that the staff is very kind.

Final thoughts:
You can tell this place is a no-frills, family-friendly ski lodge catering to skiers (duh) who just want a spot to rest their head. Which is exactly what we used it for when we came up here as kids.

The last time I visited here was in 1996, so well over 15 years ago. I swear, outside of the carpeting in the hallway and the paint job in the pool area, IT LOOKS THE SAME. So, it's definitely in need of a makeover.

For $77, I still thought that was too much for a Thursday night in summer at a 2-star hotel well outside of the city proper.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for our hotel. We pride ourselves on being a family hotel and want guests of all ages to enjoy their stay. We enforce our quiet hours starting at 10:00 PM but any time before that it is the parents’ responsibility for the general behavior of their children. If you notice any unsupervised children, we appreciate if you let our staff know so we can look into the situation.

Our hotel is older so we do not have an elevator but our staff is very willing to assist with carrying luggage for our guests. We also work very hard to make sure our hotel is clean and inviting. Our breakfast area is quite cozy which is why we offer additional seating in our meeting room. We are not responsible for the behavior of the other guests in the hotel, but if at any time you feel threatened or uncomfortable we ask that you let our staff know and we can take the necessary measures to placate the situation.

Though our hotel is on the edge of the Duluth we are right next to the freeway which leads directly down to all of Duluth’s attractions within minutes. Thank you for the compliments on our staff; we strive to give all our guests excellent service. We are sorry you weren’t completely satisfied with your stay here but we hope that you choose to give us another try in the future.
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We had a 2 queen room. It was nice and clean. The carpet in the room was clean which is big thing for me. The beds were clean and comfortable.The bath room was a bit small, but not too big of a deal. The walls are thin, I heard lots of noise through the night. The hallways were a little dark.. I was expecting a more "cabin like" decoration in the room and through out the hotel. The pool was nice, and the outside deck off the pool room is really nice and relaxing. The breakfast was good and the staff were very nice! We go to Duluth a few times a year and we normally stay in our camper, but will keep this hotel in mind for shorter trips up there. Over all good place to stay- we booked in advance and got a good deal, but would not pay over 100$ unless you book the jacuzzi suite!

Room Tip: Book in advance, not last minute. Some of the rooms on the first floor have walk out patios.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are happy that you were pleased with your stay and found our hotel to be clean and inviting. We are updating our décor and amenities a little at a time, but the log furniture in our rooms receives a lot of compliments. Our pool deck area is very popular and we are glad you got to spend some time relaxing during your stay. It’s our goal that all of our guests have a great stay and we are happy that you experienced just that. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.
Cleveland, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Normally rooms are priced at $79. No rooms in the Duluth area and they charged over $200! The room was worth $79 but nowhere near $200. Old, outdated, dirty and no elevator! The bathroom was small with the sink Placed by the entrance door!Don't stop - keep driving!

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you for reviewing our hotel and we are sorry you weren’t satisfied with your stay. During the summer, weekends are the busiest nights for hotels in Duluth. When the entire area is sold out the demand for rooms is extremely high and the prices are high in reaction to this. Our standard room for one adult is $79 on Sunday-Thursday in the summer; weekend prices have always been different due to the higher level of demand. We have an older building but our staff works extremely hard to keep everything clean and working properly, and we have recently updated all the rooms with rustic log furniture. If you notice something that seems dirty we appreciate if you let our front desk staff know so they can take care of it right away. Hopefully you will give us another chance in the future, perhaps on a less busy night.

Been to Duluth Spirit Mountain Inn - Americas Best Value? Share your experiences!