“Cheap for Duluth, but one of the worst experiences!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Duluth Spirit Mountain Inn - Americas Best Value

You added Duluth Spirit Mountain Inn - Americas Best Value to your Saves list
Duluth Spirit Mountain Inn - Americas Best Value
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   9315 Westgate Blvd, Duluth, MN 55810 (Formerly Red Roof Inn Duluth Spirit Mountain)   |
Hotel virtual tour
Ranked #29 of 33 Hotels in Duluth
Detroit Lakes, Minnesota
“Cheap for Duluth, but one of the worst experiences!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

I don't tend to write a bad review about a hotel that I was a little frustrated with, but this hotel went way beyond disappointment.
By the pictures on their website it looked like a comfortable and nice place to bring my family. Misleading! Some of the hotel is nicely decorated, but for the most part it needs renovating and smells like an old ashtray. The pool was nice, breakfast was typical. They are located right next to the highway on a very steep hill. The parking does not have enough parking spaces for the guests when they are full.
My error was that I did not take note that there is a 72 hr cancelation policy. Huge error on my part. I have to say, they at least were willing to move the date, but they made it clear there would be no cancelation exception after this. My husband injured his knee, thus we prefered to come at a later date. There was no sympothy so we went for a family weekend getaway and made the best of it.
The walls are paper thin. A good nights sleep is not in order here. You can hear the noice in the halls as if the door were open and the walls between the rooms are no better. I'm thankful we had pretty quiet neighbors.
We were quoted $79.99. We ended up being charged $99.99 and the receptionist said she couldn't do anything about it and ended our little weekend with saying that it was our mistake for changing the date so many time (may I mention 1 time). I was so frustrated and didn't prefer to have a blow up at someone and just have left it alone and decided I'd write a review to warn anyone else.
If you're looking to reduce your hotel cost, in the past we have stayed at a hotel just over the river in Superior, Wisconsin. We'll have to check into this again.

Room Tip: Saving $20 by staying here isn't worth it.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Willmar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

Good place to stay. Excellent staff. Went out of their way to assist me when my car wouldn't start. Very friendly. Had to spend all day in hotel due to a blizzard. Kept me posted on road conditions. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: I had poolside. They were nice.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Deer River, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

We used this motel for just an overnight shopping trip. The price was very reasonable. The room was clean and the beds comfprtable. Getting a room with a veiw of the parking lot was a bit disappointing as on this week night, when there weren't many people staying there. Upon our arrival the was a very strong odor of pool chemicals in the lobby and hallway. OK once we were in our room. The staff was very friendly and helpful. In the morning the chemical odor was covered by the smell of waffles from the breckfast area. Breakfast was the usual choice of bagels, muffins, dry cereal, oatmeal, and waffles. All in all, this motel was a good value for the price.

Room Tip: ask for a room not facing the parking lot
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Spent the weekend at spirit mountain. We had a poolside balcony room at the Best Value Inn. It was great for us. Comfortable beds and convenient for skiing.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

We arrived on a Friday about 12:30 pm and were able to get an early check in since we called ahead earlier that morning and requested one, but others in our group (we had over 40 rooms at the hotel) who did not call were not able to get in early. Our room was clean, had a fridge, microwave, desk, small table with 2 chairs, small bathroom with the sink separate from the tub and toilet. Not all the rooms had a microwave and fridge. Our room overlooked the interstate and Spirit Mountain. There are basically 3 parking lots for the property, the two lower ones have signs indicating you NEED 4-wheel drive during the winter months when it snows/gets icy. There is no elevator, but if you are able to get a room on the 1st floor, you can enter on that parking level and not encounter stairs other than to get up to the front desk and breakfast area. The stairs weren't a huge deal for us, but this hotel is definitely not handicap friendly.

Breakfast was your run-of-the-mill continental breakfast with cereal, bagels, toast, muffins, waffles, juice, milk, etc.

I think my rating of this property as average is generous. This hotel is fine if you are just looking for a place to rest your head for a night, but I certainly wouldn't pay over $100.00/night like we had to as part of a group. The walls and ceilings are thin, we could hear every foot step in the room above us - and it was not because of rambunctious kids, we knew the adult above us and we could hear every time he got up, walked across the room and used the bathroom.

The bath amenities included a little packet of 1-use shampoo and conditioner, not a big deal for me either since I always bring my own and only use the hotel products if they are good. The towels were tiny and rough. Another person in our group closed the curtains on the first evening and a pair of dirty underwear fell out of the curtains.

Like I said, the close proximity to Spirit Mountain would make it perfect for a night or even two if you are looking at spending the majority of your time on the slopes. There is not much in the area - gas station next door, liquor store, McDonalds across the interstate, up the hill a few miles is the city proper of Proctor which does have a Blackwoods Bar and Grill and some other restaurants and bars.

That being said, I would NOT recommend this hotel for large groups, especially youth groups. Some of the staff were less than friendly (not all, just some - some were great). We had a meeting room reserved for our potluck and socializing, they allowed us to stay in there until 11:30 pm (an hour past their posted 10:30 pm end time) and we received numerous warnings about the noise even though we had all the rooms above and around the meeting room and we couldn't hear anything outside of the room.

The first morning, housekeeping wanted in our room at 9:20 am while were trying to get ready, we asked if they could come back in about half an hour (which would be the case with several people in our group since we were all leaving at roughly the same time), we were told they would try, but most of their housekeeping staff would be gone by then. Just a tip for the housekeeping staff, you may want to keep your language in check even while in your laundry room with the door open, I overheard much of your profanity-filled conversation while waiting for my husband by the door.

Check out was smooth and quick. Check out time is 10:30 am and they only allow 5 late check-out requests per day.

Overall, the stay was o.k., although I won't be returning. There is a Country Inn and Suites across the interstate that I would try before staying at this hotel again, it is just my personal preference, I am not fond of Motel 6 - like properties and that is what this hotel is.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the Interstate and Spirit Mountain for a decent view....the other rooms offer...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

The staff went out of their way to be helpful and friendly. At the last moment I needed a place to stay and this was the most affordable option. The room was clean. The only complaint was my noisy neighbors arriving late at night, but the noise only lasted a half hour.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

After spending our honeymoon night at a more familiar/spendy hotel that starts with the letter 'H' in our home city of 'Saint Paul', we headed for the hills of the beautiful north shore. Fires prevented my new bride and I to venture to the boundry waters, so we decided to hang out in duluth. On the recommendation of a co-worker to visit 'Spirit Mountain' if we were in the area, ended up as our residence of choice to spend the next couple of nights. Excellent value for what they provide their guests with. Jacuzzi, and sauna in a shared environment, free breakfast, and don't forget the indoor pool. Even though the bathroom was on the small size, the room, with all the basics for a lodge was perfect for us. By the way, there was even a safe in the room, which the previous mentioned hotel did not provide. What pleased us overall was the hospitality of the lodges staff. 'KUDOS' To All Those That Made Our Stay Quite Pleasant!!!!

Room Tip: We were located directly across jacuzzi/sauna room. 'Sweeeeet'
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple