“Radisson is okay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Minneapolis, MN
“Radisson is okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2009

The Radisson in Duluth is an okay hotel overall. I've read a lot of the reviews and agree with some of the comments. The hotel is a bit out of date and the bathrooms are small. However, it was clean and the staff was very nice. Regardless of the side of the hotel you are on, the views are amazing, especially the views of the harbor. The pool area was pretty big. We spent three nights and enjoyed our time there. However, there are parking issues. Luckily, the hotel wasn't full, so we had ample parking spots, but several cars were broken into in the undergroud ramp area. If you can, park on the top level. At least then, some of the rooms have a view of the lot and the lighting is better. There are signs that warn you that they are not responsible for items stolen from your car, but to have 7 or 8 cars be broken into is not good. You would think that they could hire a security person to walk through the grounds or have cameras installed in the ramp. We were lucky, but I feel for those folks that had something like that ruin their trip. I didn't think the location of the hotel is bad at all... there are just some opportunistic losers out there. I am torn on recommending this hotel. Yesterday, I would have said "absolutely," but after seeing all of those smashed windows, I am inclined to tell you to avoid it.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2008

We booked our room on a Hotwire deal at the last minute. I assumed that because we were a hotwire reservation and a late Friday evening arrival that we'd have a view of the parking lot. Instead we had an 8th floor room looking right out into the harbor. The check-in staff was great, the staff at checkout was a little less so - college student on phone ordering food while we waited - but no problems with check out. THe hotel itself feels a little dated, and the rooms are smaller than what you might find at other 3 star hotels, but our room was very clean and looked well maintained. The pool area was one of the nicer ones we have found at a Duluth hotel. We did not have the chance to try the restaurant, so no comment on that. Overall we were impressed with the Radisson and will likely return on a future trip to Duluth.

• Liked — View
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
tamiharris, Management Company at Radisson Hotel Duluth-Harborview, responded to this review, November 19, 2008
Thank you so much for your review. We are truely looking forward to you staying with us again in the near future!
Sartell
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2008

I stayed at this property as a guest of a convention that was paying for my room. This payment was confirmed at check in. I needed to be at a web conference that required java. Java does not work in this hotel. either the server can't handle the bandwidth or there is a java blocker installed on the server, ergo I could not make my web meeting. Upon my return saturday evening there was not a parking space to be had so I had to park on the street. A huge headache to begin with made worse by the city of Duluth's overnight parking ban. I drove for 20 minutes and got six blocks from the hotel and still could not find a place to park. So I parked on the street and got a ticket. When I checked out Sunday morning the front desk did not have my billing information from the convention so I had to pay for my own room. They also didn't care that I had received a ticket for parking on the street. The only comment was "Parking is a problem here". I didn't receive a response to my query" Where do you park?" I didn't get a response about the lack of Java either. The irony is that I got better web service on the street in front of the Holiday Inn 2 blocks away. When I informed them of this i got the shoulder shrug. I also did not get a response to my email outling my experience. On my next trip to the Duluth Superior area I will stay in Superior.

• Disliked — parking, poor internet, lack of service, billing error
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
tamiharris, Management Company at Radisson Hotel Duluth-Harborview, responded to this review, November 16, 2008
I am very sorry to hear about the issues you experienced during your recent stay with us. I am requested an explaination from our internet service provider as we have web meetings frequently in the hotel.

I can also understand your frustration with parking in downtown Duluth. I apologize that the parking issues effected your stay with us.

I know that as a leading provider of Yes I Can Service in Duluth, we can do a much better job of providing you with the services you expect. I hope that you will consider giving us another opportunity to accommodate you in the future.
Twin Cities, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2008

After reading all the negative views I was somewhat apprehensive when we found that our $59 Hotwire hotel was the Radisson. But our experience was nearly all positive. We had no trouble finding a parking spot. The front desk staff were efficient and friendly. The elevator was fast. The room was clean, and we didn't see any stains on the carpet in the public areas or in our 12th floor lake view room. We did not hear any noise in our room, either from inside the hotel or from the outside. The only negatives were a balky drain plug in the bathtub and a very small amount of mold in the grout, so I downgraded my rating from "excellent" to "above average".

We did not use the restaurant or pool, so we are unable to evaluate them.

We were there during midweek, so perhaps our experience would have been different during a busy weekend (tournament, wedding, etc.).

Overall, this stay was very acceptable.

• Liked — Clean and comfortable
  • Disliked — Balky drain plug in bath tub
Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
zman319
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2008

Room: in the rear wing, facing west- some siren noise from fire station (1 blk away) and ambulances coming from I-35 toward hospitals. Room was very clean, no signs of wear or tear.

Pool area: Pool was deep (deepest one I've seen in a hotel), but smaller than I'd expect. Hot tub was really small (seats about 6 friendly adults, or 4 strangers). Pool area lacks some 'ambiance', has a view of the library or parking ramp.

The hotel is located on the west edge of downtown, about 3 blocks from convention center, 5 blocks from Canal Park. Upside: they had a van service that was quick, and picked us up in Canal Park and the Rose Garden. Verify times.

Hotel did have some tacky photo-copied ads for Sunday brunch taped to walls in elevators, lobby, etc.

• Liked — Scored great Priceline price.
  • Disliked — Older design, public areas showing some wear.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Saint Paul, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2008

While on a recent spur of the moment trip to Duluth, I thought I scored a major deal and booked a room at the Radisson for less than half price of what I had seen on many web sites. After staying in other Radisson properties, this hotel doesn't compare....at all.

From the time we pulled up to the address of the hotel, to the time we left; it can easily be summarized as an adventure. Walking in the front door (what the street address leads you to), doesn't lead you to the front desk! Only by wandering around, did we chance upon finding the front desk (we didn't see any signs saying that we needed to go up a level). Check-in went smoothly, and were quite surprised to find out we were on the 15th floor, which we thought would be a treat based on the price we paid. The hotel is circular in shape, with a revolving restaurant on the top floor (more on that in a minute). We found our room, and were surprised that it had a faint odor of cigarettes. Interesting, as we asked for non-smoking. It's a small room, with 2 full size beds, desk, tv and awkwardly shaped bathroom (it's on a circular floor, so concessions were made in the design...I guess). I made sure the a/c was set to cool, and my family (husband, young son and myself) went to visit the sites. After spending time in the 90+ degrees, we came back to a semi-cool room. Not as cool as one would hope, so we decided to check out the restaurant.

Revolving 360 degrees, overlooking the harbor on a port on the largest Great Lake. Sounds breath-taking and it is. Great view, not so great service. After an hour, we cancelled our order, having only received our appetizer (not a tough order, soup for me, burger for DH and pasta for DS).

We go back to our semi-cool room to relax and figure out the Sleep Number beds. In theory, they'd be great. But, a full size bed for a 6foot tall man, 5'10" woman to share? Now, our DS thought it was great to have his own larger bed, but he's not quite 4' yet. We'd previously had QUEEN size beds in a double room, guess something had to go to fit into a small room.

Fast forward to 2:30AM, I didn't remember seeing that the hotel was across the parking lot to the Duluth Fire Department, Station 1; but it is. Sirens and lights flashing, they were off and I was wide awake. I get back to sleep, about the time the restaurant staff arrives to work. Yep, revolving restaurant right above our room means that the restaurant needs to start their day well before I'm ready to start my day.

Granted, we got what we paid for, but when you're expecting a Radisson Hotel, you expect a decent level of service. I'm just grateful I didn't pay the full price. It's not a 3star hotel, even if everything went right. It was an adventure (so said my DS when we left), and a hotel to avoid on future trips to Duluth.

• Liked — the view was awesome!
  • Disliked — service, room, pretty much got what we paid for (which isn't much!)
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
ST. LOUIS
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2008

Nice room. Great view.
Avoid the restaurant. Waited 2 hours for meal.
Never got served. Walked out!

• Liked — Great view, Nice room
  • Disliked — Terrible resaurant
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Radisson Hotel Duluth-Harborview? Share your experiences!