“Very disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 32 hotels in Duluth
Crystal, Minnesota
“Very disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

I booked a room on a third party website for a two day stay. Upon arrival we could not get keys because the system was down. Don't be fooled by the way the updated lobby looks. The elevator and entire third floor smelled like an ashtray. So much for smoke free. The room was out dated and dirty. Popcorn on the floor, visually dirty carpet, dirty walls, plaster crumbling by the elevator, mildew on the shower curtain. We would have checked out if we hadn't prepaid on the third party website. Very poor service I was questioned on why I wanted more pillows and towels. We were there to see Duluth and tried to spend as much time out of the hotel room as possible. I didn't feel comfortable at all. Will never stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014
RHONDA H, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth-Harborview, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
We have been serving guest for over 40 years. It is our goal that each and every guest has a great experience. We apologize if perhaps we fell short on your recent stay. We always love to hear from our guest and take each and every comment to heart. We appreciate you letting us know and we assure you that we are addressing the items that you mentioned.

392 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

We came here after staying somewhere else one night and were very pleased. The front desk person was very welcoming and checked us in quickly. The hotel has a cool mix of age and modern remodeling. The location is great for downtown too. I'm sure it's not as nice as other Radissons but my wife and I enjoyed out stay and will be back!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for reviewing our hotel. We have been serving guest for over 40 years and always enjoy hearing from our guest. We have a great location, great value, and an amazing hotel family to serve you!

We look forward to having an opportunity to serve you and your wife again!

Thunder Bay, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

We booked out reservation thru hotels.com, not sure if that made a difference, but our room was old, outdated and noisy. We thought since we were just in for one night, we would make due. Big mistake. Our room was on the 3rd floor, close to parking lot. All night we could hear people talking outside. The walls in this hotel were so thin I could hear a person coughing all night. Someone tried to break into our room, I had to put the chair up against the door because every time someone would close their door, ours would rattle. I complained to front desk at check out. The person didn't seem to care about our stay. From what I can see we didn't save that much by going thru hotels.com. Would not stay here again anytime soon

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
CarlsonRezidor, Customer Care at Radisson Hotel Duluth-Harborview, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
We sincerely apologize for your experience at our Radisson Hotel Duluth Harborview. Providing a good night of sleep in the best possible accomodation is a trade mark of the Radisson brand and we deeply regret if we were unable to meet your expectations. We would like to discuss the issues you experienced further and will appreaciate it if you can contact our corporate office at your earliest convenience. We look forward hearing from you.

Regards,
Jamestown, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

No security cameras on the property. Was in the hotel for less than an hour and was robbed in my room. I was told all doors need a room key to enter hotel but a door in the skyway lets anyone (including the homeless population) enter the property to roam the floors!! DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Ally S, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth-Harborview, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Dear Kristine B,

I first want to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced while staying with us. I assure you I will be looking into this matter. We take these allegations very seriously. I assure you this is not something that happens at our property. Again I do apologize.
Anchorage, AK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

This hotel is just so tired. If you’re looking for a pleasant lodging experience, look elsewhere.

I found hair in the guest glasses and brought it to the front desk manager’s attention. Sean, the front desk manager, immediately took care of the issue. But I found myself not wanting to use any of the replacement glasses or the ice bucket, which was cracked on the bottom, looked dirty and unsanitary.

In the room, our “Sleep Number” beds didn’t work at all. After checking whether they were plugged in properly, we realized the beds were just broke – and sagged in all the wrong places.

Parking on the weekend, if you could find a spot, was a major challenge. At one point, my husband got stuck in the elevator; the elevator doors were very slow to close and would only do so after an alarm went off.

For a hotel this size, I was surprised when I ran out of hot water in the shower. And let’s talk about the “business center.” Good grief! Wear your coat if you’re going to use the business center, which is positioned next to a big glass wall in the lobby. When it’s -10 degrees outside and the wind is blowing, the open work station (a large desk with two chairs) gets downright cold.

Finally, using the Radisson’s wireless network was a real problem; our personal email system treated their network as suspect and it was blocked.

We definitely won’t be back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Ally S, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth-Harborview, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear Ann S,

Thank you so much for your feedback, it is very important to us. I will talk to our maintenance staff about your concerns with the business center and the wireless internet. We take all suggestions seriously and we will see if there is anyway we can improve for a future visit. Thank you for staying with us. I do hope you will give us another chance to wow you!
Mountain Iron, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Stayed here about 10 years ago and nothing has changed. It was absolute crud then and it is even worse now. So very disappointed. Costs more than other lodging near by. The staff at check-in was less than helpful. There was staff vacuuming behind the front desk; really, that needed to be done at 4 pm when check-in is the busiest? I have a hearing deficit and need people to look at me while speaking. She stared confusingly at her computer while mumbling, I had no idea she was talking to me and asking my name. Once we established who I was and why I was there, she was quick to swipe my credit card card and slide my room key. No directions for parking, no directions to room and no inquiry if I needed anything else. I parked in the ramp lot; what a nightmare, cars are haphazardly parked so there is barely room to drive in between. The lot itself is icy and treacherous to walk on. Then I had to find my own way back to the lobby to meet my roommate; directions would have been great. The room itself is disgusting; dated, smells musty, small, cramped and the key wouldn't work. I had to leave my roommate with our belongings, go back down the elevator and wait for others to check-in (which was no problem for me, first come/first served), only to be told it doesn't make sense the keys don't work. She asked me if I had placed it near my credit card or cell phone; no, I had not. So she re-keyed them and slid them across the desk and turned her back. While all of this happened, two other guests with a small child were patiently waiting for the shuttle. It was parked out front, driver grumbled about having to go outside. Go elsewhere, not worth it here.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear DeniseF6,

I first want to sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you encountered while staying with us. I am shocked by the service you received while staying with us and I will be sure to talk to all of my staff about these issues. That is very unacceptable. I have passed along your other concerns to our Maintenance staff and I assure you they will be looking into them. Thank you for your feedback, everything helps us improve for the future.
Wabasha, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Don't let the word Radisson fool you, I've stayed in Super 8 Motels that are nicer! This hotel is dirty and the staff do not care about you. Dirty nasty ramp too, as there was a used condom in plain sight. We recently stayed with our baby. There was mildew all over the shower (big clumps of if). Also, near the floor the paint was bubbly and chipping. Their cribs have holes in them.

What is the worst of all, our vehicle met clearance restrictions posted on their one level ramp, plus we have stayed here before with no problems in the ramp with the same vehicle. However, upon going through their ramp, our vehicle hit the top and our luggage rack ripped off. The hotel did not care and didn't do anything. They didn't even put a sign up to alert other guests of potential damage. Upon calling them, they first admitted what happened and apologized, but after a second phone call denied any damage done at their hotel even though the manager went outside with my husband to see what had happened!

This is the worst Radisson I've ever seen, and I honestly don't understand why Radisson continues to put their name on it. Like I said, save your money and stay at the Super 8, you will be happy you did!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
We truly apologize for the issues you encountered during your recent stay. We have addressed the issues that you mentioned and assure you that we have discussed with our management team and staff. We always want our guest to have a great experience and for over 40 years we have been serving guest from around the world. We clearly dropped the ball and appreciate you letting us know. We truly take each and every comment to heart and use the information to idenify areas to improve upon.

Our sincerest apologizes for the issues.

Rhonda Hausman

Been to Radisson Hotel Duluth-Harborview? Share your experiences!