“Robbed” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Jamestown, New York
“Robbed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

No security cameras on the property. Was in the hotel for less than an hour and was robbed in my room. I was told all doors need a room key to enter hotel but a door in the skyway lets anyone (including the homeless population) enter the property to roam the floors!! DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Ally S, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth-Harborview, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Dear Kristine B,

I first want to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced while staying with us. I assure you I will be looking into this matter. We take these allegations very seriously. I assure you this is not something that happens at our property. Again I do apologize.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Anchorage, AK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

This hotel is just so tired. If you’re looking for a pleasant lodging experience, look elsewhere.

I found hair in the guest glasses and brought it to the front desk manager’s attention. Sean, the front desk manager, immediately took care of the issue. But I found myself not wanting to use any of the replacement glasses or the ice bucket, which was cracked on the bottom, looked dirty and unsanitary.

In the room, our “Sleep Number” beds didn’t work at all. After checking whether they were plugged in properly, we realized the beds were just broke – and sagged in all the wrong places.

Parking on the weekend, if you could find a spot, was a major challenge. At one point, my husband got stuck in the elevator; the elevator doors were very slow to close and would only do so after an alarm went off.

For a hotel this size, I was surprised when I ran out of hot water in the shower. And let’s talk about the “business center.” Good grief! Wear your coat if you’re going to use the business center, which is positioned next to a big glass wall in the lobby. When it’s -10 degrees outside and the wind is blowing, the open work station (a large desk with two chairs) gets downright cold.

Finally, using the Radisson’s wireless network was a real problem; our personal email system treated their network as suspect and it was blocked.

We definitely won’t be back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Ally S, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth-Harborview, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear Ann S,

Thank you so much for your feedback, it is very important to us. I will talk to our maintenance staff about your concerns with the business center and the wireless internet. We take all suggestions seriously and we will see if there is anyway we can improve for a future visit. Thank you for staying with us. I do hope you will give us another chance to wow you!
Mountain Iron, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Stayed here about 10 years ago and nothing has changed. It was absolute crud then and it is even worse now. So very disappointed. Costs more than other lodging near by. The staff at check-in was less than helpful. There was staff vacuuming behind the front desk; really, that needed to be done at 4 pm when check-in is the busiest? I have a hearing deficit and need people to look at me while speaking. She stared confusingly at her computer while mumbling, I had no idea she was talking to me and asking my name. Once we established who I was and why I was there, she was quick to swipe my credit card card and slide my room key. No directions for parking, no directions to room and no inquiry if I needed anything else. I parked in the ramp lot; what a nightmare, cars are haphazardly parked so there is barely room to drive in between. The lot itself is icy and treacherous to walk on. Then I had to find my own way back to the lobby to meet my roommate; directions would have been great. The room itself is disgusting; dated, smells musty, small, cramped and the key wouldn't work. I had to leave my roommate with our belongings, go back down the elevator and wait for others to check-in (which was no problem for me, first come/first served), only to be told it doesn't make sense the keys don't work. She asked me if I had placed it near my credit card or cell phone; no, I had not. So she re-keyed them and slid them across the desk and turned her back. While all of this happened, two other guests with a small child were patiently waiting for the shuttle. It was parked out front, driver grumbled about having to go outside. Go elsewhere, not worth it here.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear DeniseF6,

I first want to sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you encountered while staying with us. I am shocked by the service you received while staying with us and I will be sure to talk to all of my staff about these issues. That is very unacceptable. I have passed along your other concerns to our Maintenance staff and I assure you they will be looking into them. Thank you for your feedback, everything helps us improve for the future.
Wabasha, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Don't let the word Radisson fool you, I've stayed in Super 8 Motels that are nicer! This hotel is dirty and the staff do not care about you. Dirty nasty ramp too, as there was a used condom in plain sight. We recently stayed with our baby. There was mildew all over the shower (big clumps of if). Also, near the floor the paint was bubbly and chipping. Their cribs have holes in them.

What is the worst of all, our vehicle met clearance restrictions posted on their one level ramp, plus we have stayed here before with no problems in the ramp with the same vehicle. However, upon going through their ramp, our vehicle hit the top and our luggage rack ripped off. The hotel did not care and didn't do anything. They didn't even put a sign up to alert other guests of potential damage. Upon calling them, they first admitted what happened and apologized, but after a second phone call denied any damage done at their hotel even though the manager went outside with my husband to see what had happened!

This is the worst Radisson I've ever seen, and I honestly don't understand why Radisson continues to put their name on it. Like I said, save your money and stay at the Super 8, you will be happy you did!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
RHONDA H, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth-Harborview, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
We truly apologize for the issues you encountered during your recent stay. We have addressed the issues that you mentioned and assure you that we have discussed with our management team and staff. We always want our guest to have a great experience and for over 40 years we have been serving guest from around the world. We clearly dropped the ball and appreciate you letting us know. We truly take each and every comment to heart and use the information to idenify areas to improve upon.

Our sincerest apologizes for the issues.

Rhonda Hausman
Shakopee, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

The Manager for the day, "Sean" took great care of us and fulfilled all our requests. He was very accommodating and very helpful. Staff were also very courteous and helpful. But thats what is not needed alone to run this hotel successfully. I hope to return and stay at this hotel after all its renovations (as discussed in other reviews) are complete.

Parking feels disconnected to the hotel. Access roads at parking lots were so icy and slippery. For such a hotel, all these matters for customer satisfaction.

The revolving Restaurant at the top, what a surprise!! Was stunned by the view, quality of food and Professionalism. The hotel itself can get some points from this restaurant. This hotel has all the potential to become the top hotel in Duluth. They should keep up the standards for sure!!

Room Tip: May be the new renovated rooms are better, and Lake view rooms myst be a plus.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Ally S, Front Office Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth-Harborview, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear Prasith,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. I am very sorry you were disappointed with some aspects of our hotel. I am so glad to hear that you are willing to give our hotel another chance. Sean is a wonderful asset to our family here at the Radisson and I am so pleased that you were able to experience his great customer service. I will be sure to pass along all of your comments. I would be happy to discuss this further with you if you would like 218-727-8981 ext. 4001
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

The Radisson Duluth is a hotel I really wanted to like. I have stayed many times at the Holiday Inn, and expected the Radisson to at least be on par with it. It was not.
The building is cool, but very dated. The lobby has been nicely remodeled. I stayed here over this past weekend and did not have to wait for check in. The rate was $100/night, but for what I got it should have been about $50/night.
Our room was on the 3rd floor in the square building connected to the tower. First, there is a smell that permeates the hallway and room--that of stale cigarette smoke not quite covered up by carpet cleaner. We had two double beds with a window overlooking the parking ramp. I did my Hotel Impossible room check and found that the picture frames had no dust, but the top of the dated TV armoire contained about 1/4 inch of dust. The hairdryer had been ripped out of the wall at some point, and now was wrapped in its cord on top of the bathroom vanity. The mirror had been updated at some point with a frame that covered the existing electrical outlet. Instead of moving the outlet to accommodate the new frame, it appears someone used a screwdriver to chop out enough room to be able to plug in the hairdryer. The wallpaper next to the tub was water damaged, and the tile below was cracking. The closet had an iron, but the ironing board was missing. The ceiling near the bed was stained. The carpeting was old, smelly, and badly needed updating. The desk chair was tilted back, and was dangerous to sit in. The previous occupants (or occupants before that) left bits of dog food on the floor of the closet, which was overlooked by housekeeping. The TV was very old, and the picture was unclear. I had to call maintenance after I drained the sink, and the water leaked out all over the bathroom floor.
The worst thing about this hotel was that some of the public areas, specifically the stairway off the main lobby, were in terrible shape. It, along with the stairwells in both buildings, had very poor lighting, were dirty, and in need of paint. The layout outside the hotel needs to be revamped, including widening driveways and providing enough parking for guests (they were full and there was NOT enough parking...).
There is a feeling in this hotel that, if it were in Las Vegas, the implosion would be coming shortly. Either someone does not care about the condition of the rooms and public areas, the hotel is not making money, the staff is not properly trained, or they are severely understaffed.
Now for some good. Overall, the service I received was very good. The hotel lobby remodel looks very nice. The revolving restaurant had good food and great service. The beds were comfortable, and linens OK. Next time I go to Duluth, I'm staying at the Holiday Inn.
Someone needs to put some money into this property for a major refurbishment.

Room Tip: Stay at the Holiday Inn up the road.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Alpine524,

I first want to sincerely apologize that you had such a negative stay with us. I have since closed this room to future occupancy to ensure it is closely inspected and all of your concerns are remedied. We are hoping to have a large remodel underway within a year. Please call me directly at the hotel so that we can discuss this further. We value your business and do not like seeing any of our guests leave less than satisfied. 218-727-8981 Ext. 4001
Bemidji
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

Day one: Wrong room, two double beds instead of the Queen bed we reserved, couldn't control the heat (knob wouldn't move), and the room was very dated.
Day one: Bad room, brown stains on white comforter, tiny OLD TV with grainy picture, very dated furniture.
Day one: Better room, informed there will be no morning shuttle to meetings seven blocks away, we were specifically told there would be shuttle service (it is advertised), no guest laundry room, and no fridge in the room.

Day two - five: Moved to Holiday Inn, will not return.

Room Tip: I would look elsewhere.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Ally S, Front Office Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth-Harborview, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear Oldsorb,

I sincerely apologize that you felt as though you were not welcome and chose to move hotels. I do have a very high standard of service and will be speaking with the staff you encountered to ensure this does not happen again in the future. We do have shuttle service and again I apologize this was not available. If you would like please contact me directly at the Radisson so we can go over some of the issues you encountered while staying here.

Been to Radisson Hotel Duluth-Harborview? Share your experiences!