“Great Manager and Staff” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Enjoy Savings of 20%
Ranked #27 of 33 Hotels in Duluth
Shakopee, Minnesota
“Great Manager and Staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

The Manager for the day, "Sean" took great care of us and fulfilled all our requests. He was very accommodating and very helpful. Staff were also very courteous and helpful. But thats what is not needed alone to run this hotel successfully. I hope to return and stay at this hotel after all its renovations (as discussed in other reviews) are complete.

Parking feels disconnected to the hotel. Access roads at parking lots were so icy and slippery. For such a hotel, all these matters for customer satisfaction.

The revolving Restaurant at the top, what a surprise!! Was stunned by the view, quality of food and Professionalism. The hotel itself can get some points from this restaurant. This hotel has all the potential to become the top hotel in Duluth. They should keep up the standards for sure!!

Room Tip: May be the new renovated rooms are better, and Lake view rooms myst be a plus.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Ally S, Front Office Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth-Harborview, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear Prasith,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. I am very sorry you were disappointed with some aspects of our hotel. I am so glad to hear that you are willing to give our hotel another chance. Sean is a wonderful asset to our family here at the Radisson and I am so pleased that you were able to experience his great customer service. I will be sure to pass along all of your comments. I would be happy to discuss this further with you if you would like 218-727-8981 ext. 4001

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

The Radisson Duluth is a hotel I really wanted to like. I have stayed many times at the Holiday Inn, and expected the Radisson to at least be on par with it. It was not.
The building is cool, but very dated. The lobby has been nicely remodeled. I stayed here over this past weekend and did not have to wait for check in. The rate was $100/night, but for what I got it should have been about $50/night.
Our room was on the 3rd floor in the square building connected to the tower. First, there is a smell that permeates the hallway and room--that of stale cigarette smoke not quite covered up by carpet cleaner. We had two double beds with a window overlooking the parking ramp. I did my Hotel Impossible room check and found that the picture frames had no dust, but the top of the dated TV armoire contained about 1/4 inch of dust. The hairdryer had been ripped out of the wall at some point, and now was wrapped in its cord on top of the bathroom vanity. The mirror had been updated at some point with a frame that covered the existing electrical outlet. Instead of moving the outlet to accommodate the new frame, it appears someone used a screwdriver to chop out enough room to be able to plug in the hairdryer. The wallpaper next to the tub was water damaged, and the tile below was cracking. The closet had an iron, but the ironing board was missing. The ceiling near the bed was stained. The carpeting was old, smelly, and badly needed updating. The desk chair was tilted back, and was dangerous to sit in. The previous occupants (or occupants before that) left bits of dog food on the floor of the closet, which was overlooked by housekeeping. The TV was very old, and the picture was unclear. I had to call maintenance after I drained the sink, and the water leaked out all over the bathroom floor.
The worst thing about this hotel was that some of the public areas, specifically the stairway off the main lobby, were in terrible shape. It, along with the stairwells in both buildings, had very poor lighting, were dirty, and in need of paint. The layout outside the hotel needs to be revamped, including widening driveways and providing enough parking for guests (they were full and there was NOT enough parking...).
There is a feeling in this hotel that, if it were in Las Vegas, the implosion would be coming shortly. Either someone does not care about the condition of the rooms and public areas, the hotel is not making money, the staff is not properly trained, or they are severely understaffed.
Now for some good. Overall, the service I received was very good. The hotel lobby remodel looks very nice. The revolving restaurant had good food and great service. The beds were comfortable, and linens OK. Next time I go to Duluth, I'm staying at the Holiday Inn.
Someone needs to put some money into this property for a major refurbishment.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Alpine524,

I first want to sincerely apologize that you had such a negative stay with us. I have since closed this room to future occupancy to ensure it is closely inspected and all of your concerns are remedied. We are hoping to have a large remodel underway within a year. Please call me directly at the hotel so that we can discuss this further. We value your business and do not like seeing any of our guests leave less than satisfied. 218-727-8981 Ext. 4001
Bemidji
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

Day one: Wrong room, two double beds instead of the Queen bed we reserved, couldn't control the heat (knob wouldn't move), and the room was very dated.
Day one: Bad room, brown stains on white comforter, tiny OLD TV with grainy picture, very dated furniture.
Day one: Better room, informed there will be no morning shuttle to meetings seven blocks away, we were specifically told there would be shuttle service (it is advertised), no guest laundry room, and no fridge in the room.

Day two - five: Moved to Holiday Inn, will not return.

Room Tip: I would look elsewhere.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Ally S, Front Office Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth-Harborview, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear Oldsorb,

I sincerely apologize that you felt as though you were not welcome and chose to move hotels. I do have a very high standard of service and will be speaking with the staff you encountered to ensure this does not happen again in the future. We do have shuttle service and again I apologize this was not available. If you would like please contact me directly at the Radisson so we can go over some of the issues you encountered while staying here.
Bemidji, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

Booked this room for a week long business trip. Checked in only to discover: the shuttle they promised is closed down, no laundry area, no fridges, microwaves or hair dryers in rooms. Might be fine for a one night, no frills stay, but I would question if you get value for what a room costs here. Rooftop restaurant is lovely.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear GardenLady1234,

I sincerely apologize that your stay with us was below par. We do have Refrigerators & Microwaves available and I'm sorry that was not offered to you upon your arrival. I also will check in to why there was no hair dryer in your room, they come standard in all of our rooms. If you wouldn't mind contacting me directly at the hotel so I can make sure I have all of the correct information, that would be greatly appreciated.
Waukesha, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Duluth, MN Radisson between January 17 and January 19. 2014. The magnitude of the negative impression this hotel left us with, not only impacts our view of the Duluth location but that of the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group.

After struggling to find parking in the undersized lot for this towering hotel, we checked in around dinnertime on the 17th, dropped off our bags and met family for the evening. We returned to the room late to find a handwritten note on hotel scratch paper simply stating “PRESS FIRMLY”. It was laid atop the remotes for the sleep number beds. We found this to be very awkward and intrusive. There was no signature from hotel staff or maintenance nor an explanation of why they felt we needed that information.

It was only when we awoke the next morning that we realized the deplorable room conditions we had just slept in.

1. The pillowcases and comforters were stained
2 The carpet was dirty and not vacuumed
3. An outlet was broken (the top had no power to it and the bottom heated up our charger so much that it was difficult to handle in a matter of minutes)
4. Our Guest services book was missing all pages behind “Hotel Dining” – we had no idea if room service was available, what was available, what hours, etc
5. The stopper in our tub was pulled out of the drain unusable and was corroded
6. The bathroom ceiling was stained with what looked like mold
7. Our toilet waterline had a dirty ring around it
8. Wallpaper was peeling from several places in the room
9. The exhaust fan in the bathroom did not work and was caked in dust and dirt
10. The heating unit was filthy and also corroded

These were just the things we could see. Just the thought of what we could not see makes me physically ill.

As we returned to the hotel that night (just before midnight on the 18th) we could not find a single parking spot available. My husband went in to ask about additional parking and was directed to a lot across the street. The lot we were directed to had a sign that read, NO OVERNIGHT PARKING, No Hotel Parking, Parking for only (and then listed two other businesses). We went to the front desk after parking and spoke to someone who said he was a manager. We relayed our frustration only to be told that all of this information was on the blue slip of paper we were handed when we checked in. You will see from the attached copy that there is no specific mention of where to park, only that we should, as we did, speak with the front desk for direction. As an aside, this lot was not plowed well and we had to cross an icy street on a hill and walk the length of the block to get back to the hotel. Not very convenient or safe for your guests.

We then relayed all of the above items to this ‘manager’. His response was simply “I am sorry to hear that”. He never offered any solutions. He did not offer to put us in a new room, get a cleaning crew into the room or apologize and offer us a discount for the atrocious conditions of our room.

When we checked out the next morning, the front desk clerk never asked us how our stay was and seemed put off that we wanted a receipt.

This hotel is a hazard to guests. Mold, electrical issues and staff that clearly are not committed to the safety and well-being of their guests make this a disaster waiting to happen.

Do Not Stay Here!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Ally S, Front Office Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth-Harborview, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear Crittrlvr,

I sincerely apologize about the issues you encountered while staying at our hotel. I appreciate your feedback, as it helps us in the future to make necessary changes to please our guests. I have spoken to both my Housekeeping and Maintenance Managers and I assure you we will have these things corrected right away. We also will be trying to ensure the road is plowed for the safety of our guest walking over from the overflow parking lot. We are hoping to be underway with a full remodel within the year. I do hope that maybe you will give us another chance so in the future we can exceed your expectations. Thank you again for your feedback.
Hutchinson, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

Unfortunately, the Duluth Radisson has entirely too many aw craps.

I've stayed at this hotel several times over the past few years.
First the attaboys:
The rooms seem to have had some maintenance done to them and are getting better. They're clean and have the amenities you'd expect to see at a Radisson, including sleep number beds. The harbor side rooms have a good view of the lake and downtown area. The rooms on the other side give you a good view of a dirty hillside business and residential area. The hotel has easy access to a ground floor sports bar, with a fairly responsive staff and decent food. There is also an overpriced, mediocre restaurant and lounge on the top floor that rotates. I believe this also provides the room service and food for the sports bar.
Now the aw craps:
The hotel is cramped into a tight downtown area. This is great for getting to Canal Park and the downtown stores, BUT it also means that the extreme lack of available parking can't be remedied. There's an overflow lot across the street that was also completely full during my most recent stay. Also, their snow removal service must have had the week off during my last stay since the main lot could have served as a motocross track with all the packed mounds of snow/ice on it. I learned this the hard way when a combination of a cold snap and snow mound tore the air dam off my car for a total of $2600 in damage. The overflow lot had the snow removed but it's on a slope and was sheer ice. There were several cars that couldn't make it from one (downhill) side to the other (uphill) and 4 wheel drive trucks were spinning. If equipment couldn't get in there to clean up the lot, management SHOULD have had people out there with shovels and scrapers to take care of it. Getting back to the rooms: the bathroom and sink area is packed in a small area like I would expect in a mid or lower range hotel. Another issue is the exceedingly busy elevators which sometimes take several minutes to pick you up. An apparent cost-saving measure is putting the vending machines on about every fourth floor. Not a big deal in itself, but if you're standing there waiting for an elevator just to get to them it gets aggravating. I've done the stairs on many occassions rather than wait.

Bottom line: I feel for the staff, who usually does their level best to make the most of the situation, but this hotel is not up to expectations from a Radisson.

Room Tip: The harbor side rooms have a good view of the lake and downtown area. The rooms on the other side g...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Elk River, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

This was a disaster from beginning to end. The room was not as advertised. The hotel is old, run down, nothing was clean. The elevator wouldn't even stop on our floor...after 3 - 4 attempts we finally got off one floor below or above and walked the rest of the way. We wanted to order food after 9 pm but couldn't find any room service info, and the menu for delivery options was so outdated some of the numbers were no longer in service, and all the pricing was wrong. We chose the hotel for the proximity to the hockey arena - and we were happy the arena was within walking distance as the hotel shuttle was out of service. I do not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
CarlsonRezidor, Specialist, Online Customer Support at Radisson Hotel Duluth-Harborview, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
We apologize for the disappointing service you received. We want to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive the best “Yes I Can!” service.To discuss your concern further, please contact Corporate Customer Care..