My husband and I stayed at the Duluth, MN Radisson between January 17 and January 19. 2014. The magnitude of the negative impression this hotel left us with, not only impacts our view of the Duluth location but that of the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group.
After struggling to find parking in the undersized lot for this towering hotel, we checked in around dinnertime on the 17th, dropped off our bags and met family for the evening. We returned to the room late to find a handwritten note on hotel scratch paper simply stating “PRESS FIRMLY”. It was laid atop the remotes for the sleep number beds. We found this to be very awkward and intrusive. There was no signature from hotel staff or maintenance nor an explanation of why they felt we needed that information.
It was only when we awoke the next morning that we realized the deplorable room conditions we had just slept in.
1. The pillowcases and comforters were stained
2 The carpet was dirty and not vacuumed
3. An outlet was broken (the top had no power to it and the bottom heated up our charger so much that it was difficult to handle in a matter of minutes)
4. Our Guest services book was missing all pages behind “Hotel Dining” – we had no idea if room service was available, what was available, what hours, etc
5. The stopper in our tub was pulled out of the drain unusable and was corroded
6. The bathroom ceiling was stained with what looked like mold
7. Our toilet waterline had a dirty ring around it
8. Wallpaper was peeling from several places in the room
9. The exhaust fan in the bathroom did not work and was caked in dust and dirt
10. The heating unit was filthy and also corroded
These were just the things we could see. Just the thought of what we could not see makes me physically ill.
As we returned to the hotel that night (just before midnight on the 18th) we could not find a single parking spot available. My husband went in to ask about additional parking and was directed to a lot across the street. The lot we were directed to had a sign that read, NO OVERNIGHT PARKING, No Hotel Parking, Parking for only (and then listed two other businesses). We went to the front desk after parking and spoke to someone who said he was a manager. We relayed our frustration only to be told that all of this information was on the blue slip of paper we were handed when we checked in. You will see from the attached copy that there is no specific mention of where to park, only that we should, as we did, speak with the front desk for direction. As an aside, this lot was not plowed well and we had to cross an icy street on a hill and walk the length of the block to get back to the hotel. Not very convenient or safe for your guests.
We then relayed all of the above items to this ‘manager’. His response was simply “I am sorry to hear that”. He never offered any solutions. He did not offer to put us in a new room, get a cleaning crew into the room or apologize and offer us a discount for the atrocious conditions of our room.
When we checked out the next morning, the front desk clerk never asked us how our stay was and seemed put off that we wanted a receipt.
This hotel is a hazard to guests. Mold, electrical issues and staff that clearly are not committed to the safety and well-being of their guests make this a disaster waiting to happen.
Do Not Stay Here!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Duluth's landmark hotel located in the heart of Downtown Duluth. Enjoy our indoor pool, whirlpool, sauna and newly renovated fitness center. Enjoy relaxing by the fireplace in the newly renovated lobby. Also enjoy the only 360 degree rotating restaurant JJ Astor located on the top floor of the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Tingo, Expedia, Travelocity, Despegar.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Priceline, Venere, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Radisson Hotel Duluth-Harborview reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Radisson Hotel Duluth Harborview
- Duluth Radisson