“Not worth the price” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 31 hotels in Duluth
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Not worth the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I booked a room here last night because it was pouring rain and our tent was leaking. Thankfully, I booked it for 1/2 off the list price through Priceline.

You would think that for $200/night (the regular price,) you could expect a modern room with great amenities. Wrong. The a/c unit was probably the original unit from when the hotel was built, the room décor screams 1980s, and there is a 19 inch CRT tv. Most of the higher end hotels I have stayed in also have soft towels - the towels here were thin and scratchy. Would it kill you to use some fabric softener? I'm not sure if they were understaffed or what, but there was only one guy working at the front desk. When I went in to check in, he was having a conversation with a guy about why they had kicked him out when he was booked through the weekend. Well, after several minutes of going back and forth and getting the manager involved, the guest realizes that he told them the wrong room number. Umm, wouldn't you look him up by name if there was a problem? We then tried to park only to find the parking lot full, and you cannot park on the streets around the hotel. So, I went back in and the same desk clerk was trying to call a cab for a couple that was standing there. He had to call at least 2 cab companies before anyone answered. Then the people wanted to know the number to call for the hotel shuttle for when they came back from wherever they were going. The clerk didn't have any business cards, so he was trying to look it up on the internet, couldn't find it, went in the back, came back out and checked the computer again. Then he found it. Seriously, you don't know the phone number where you work?! The elevators were VERY slow, and the one we rode this morning was also making a horrible noise. Scary. We were there to sleep, so we did not check out the pool, bar, or fancy restaurant.

I would not stay here again unless I could get it for less than $70/night.

363 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Cumberland, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

After reading reviews on this hotel, I was a little leery. We were staying in Duluth for our anniversary, so I wanted it to be nice. Whether I stay at a 1 star motel or a 5 star resort, I expect the same things out of both: Cleanliness and Guest service. And this place had both of those.

We arrived around 4:15pm, and were greeted with a smiling and very nice front desk agent, I believe his name was Aaron. He checked us right in, explained parking, and directed us to our room. We arrived to our room. The lobby was beautifully decorated, as seen in my pictures.

The room itself was nice, with a soft color pallet. A sleep number bed with white fluffy bedding and plenty of pillows. I immediately turned the thermostat down, as I prefer a cooler room, and in no time the room was cool. We had a beautiful view of downtown, Canal Park, Lake Superior, and the Lift Bridge. We had a small refrigerator and microwave and free wi-fi. I called Aaron at the front desk to ask if I needed a password for the wi-fi, and he explained to me where/how to find it. Aaron gave a great Guest Service during our stay.

I ventured to the pool area to find it completely empty. Enjoyed the hot tub. There was floor to ceiling windows with views of downtown. I also took a dip in the pool. It was nice to relax without a bunch of screaming kids around. The pool/spa area stayed open until midnight, which was also a plus. There was a maintenance man checking the pool chemical levels, and he helped me figure out the jets in the hot tub. Good guest service, again.

I drive my husband crazy, because every time I check in to a hotel I inspect the room like Anthony Melchiorri. And the room was CLEAN!

I did note a few things, that may have bothered some, but it didn't bother us, and wouldn't hinder us from staying there again:
-The elevator was loud and clunky.
-The room decor didn't match the modern Lobby.
-There was some rust in the grout work around the tub.
-The fridge door opened poorly because of the plush carpet (nice soft plush carpet)
-No breakfast included. I realize it's more of a business hotel, but this amenity would be nice.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again in the future. And, with our experience in mind, we recommend for others to give them a try as well.

Room Tip: get a tower room with views of the lake and harbor.
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

After reading the negative reviews we were very skeptical of staying here. However, Check in was a breeze and the clerks very friendly. Our room on the 14th floor was clean. The rugs spotless. We had 2 double beds with spotless sheets, etc. the numbers worked on the beds. We had a 37 " LG flat screen TV. Internet was spot on, not slow. the pool area was clean and so was the water in the pool and hot tub. It is an older hotel- and will be totally renovated starting this fall under a new Radisson Group. The elevator was decent given the age of the hotel. Yes, there are stains on the rugs in the hallway but you can tell that it is as clean as it can be given the age of the hotel. The bathroom was clean and not moldy smelling. I don't think I stayed in the same hotel as the people making the negative comments- Yes, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: The 14th floor worked for us- good view of the harbor.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Long Island, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I stayed here in August 2013 in 2 non-consecutive nights. The staff and service were inconsistent: on the first stay, the person at the desk gave me a map of the area and answered my questions; on my second stay, when I asked about the location of a nearby restaurant, the different person at the desk told me to walk around, and I'd see it. She actually said that. Service in the restaurant was similarly inconsistent. At lunch, the server seemed to disappear. I waited so long for my meal, that I asked another server to please check on my order. At breakfast there was prompt service.
Signs in the room indicate Sleep Number Beds, but the remote didn't work, and I was told it couldn't be fixed.
The airport shuttle left without me, but since Duluth airport is small, it wasn't a problem.
Bottom line: the Holiday Inn might be a better choice.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Stayed here for one Saturday night over labor day weekend. Used Club Carlson points for a free stay. Check in went smoothly and front desk agent very friendly. Given room 539, which is not in the main round tower, but other building. Room was fairly large with king size sleep number bed. Sleep number bed worked fine. Had view of city, but also could see lake and lift bridge. There was a fridge so that was nice. Had old style tv, surprised no flat screen. Also could not find any paper or pen in room, and no Kleenex. Liked how the bathroom was behind a wall separated from main area, and had great smelling toiletries. Bed was comfy, but pillows were very lumpy. Had difficulty sleeping as heard coughing all night from room next door. Went to restaurant on the top floor called JJ Astor I believe for breakfast, this restaurant revolves, so gives a great view of the city. Food was good, maybe a little over priced, but not bad. Was not a bad stay but looks like hotel could use some updating.

Duluth
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

for the price it was bad I have stayed at cheaper places and a lot better rooms would not stay there again it was very dirty the sleep number beds sucked the number dial did not work the showers were not hot enough

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

TravelingTami, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth-Harborview, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Write your comment.Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. I will forward your concerns to the department heads at the hotel. Our goal is always 100% satisfaction. I hope we will have another opportunity in the future to provide you with accommodations.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Upon arrival, our first room was damp feeling and musty smelling. Even the carpet felt damp. As we were debating calling the front desk, we clearly heard the entire conversation of the guest in the room next to us, in a regular speaking tone of voice. So, with the walls being paper-thin, we called the front desk. They relocated us to a new room, no questions asked, which was a slight improvement. The overall cleanliness of the room was ok, but the floors in the hallways looked like they are rarely vacuumed. The hot tub jets sprayed directly in the air, splashing water all over! After visiting with another guest, they stated they had a similar experience and also had to switch rooms. I will commend the staff for being accommodating. We aren't finicky people, but expect a certain amount of quality, especially for the price and the Radisson brand. This hotel gives all Radisson's a bad name as far as I'm concerned. I definitely wouldn't stay here again! In the words of my husband, my review should only say, "this hotel sucks!"

• Stayed September 2013

Been to Radisson Hotel Duluth-Harborview? Share your experiences!