“Not bad” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Minneapolis, MN
“Not bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

My recent stay at the Radisson wasn't nearly as bad as some of the other reviewers'. Our room (801) wasn't perfect--there was an obvious stain on one of the comforters, a bit of mildew staining on the shower grout, and the sheets and towels were very scratchy. During one of my (evening) showers the water suddenly got cold for a couple of minutes. No one else in my group had water trouble, but I overheard other guests complaining about cold showers as well.

Still, overall the room was in good repair, the beds were comfortable, and the view was terrific. The location was very convenient to the convention center (an easy walk via sidewalk or skyway), restaurants, entertainment, and the waterfront.

I was in town for a business conference and didn't have time to check out the hotel amenities. The front-desk staff were friendly, efficient, and knowledgeable. On the basis of my stay alone I'd consider the Radisson again, but if the other reviews are any indication I might have a worse experience next time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Madison, SD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

My wife and I arrived late at night on Aug. 31, 2012 in Duluth, Mn. Having never been to Duluth we thought it looked to be an interesting city from photos on the Internet. We've probably been in 40 states including many of the big cities.
We arrived in Duluth between 9:30 and 10pm at night. We hesitated to get off Interstate 35 going through town parallel with Superior St. because at night the lights from the harbor and from the Aerial Lift Bridge made it appear we were somewhere near the docks and piers of a big city nestled within some big harbor city alongside the docks where all the big ships anchor up and thugs roam the docks late at night. Nice vivid imagination, huh?
Well, we did get off Interstate 35 somewhere near 19th St. and I don't know how but we wound up driving up this monster hill at night and ended up by the university of Minnesota Duluth and didn't know where we were or how we got there. With some searching we finally navigated our way off the hill back toward downtown Duluth and wound up searching for a place to stay West down Superior St.
We had seen the Radisson signs from the freeway coming into town and so the Radisson is what we decided to find even though we were tired of driving. We finally found it after having driven most of the way through town and when we pulled in to the Valet area I hadn't really thought we'd find a room nor a room we could afford. We pulled the car into the carport there at the Radisson and I walked into the lobby.
I kind of expected any kind of motel at all to be around $100 a night so when I asked the guys at the front desk if there were any rooms available I was sure we would not be able to afford it even if there were rooms.
So anyway I just told him that I was looking for a reasonable room but if I did stay my wife and I would want a room up high and one facing the water. I couldn't believe the service as it was past ten at night at this point and instead of maxing my credit card out for rooms the guy told me we could have a nice queen room with all the amenities for $150 a night on the fourteenth floor facing Superior Street down below us and just across from the Train Depot and Festival Park. Off beyond that was the sky walks of Duluth and the Aerial Lift Bridge and Lake Superior beyond all that. I couldn't believe the desk clerk just quoted me only $150 a night and yes it "was" a weekend Saturday night.
Anybody who has every enjoyed a stay at the Radisson Harbor view Hotel in Duluth knows that is a primo location in Duluth with primo amenities such as the revolving restaurant with bar on the 16th floor penthouse. As well there is a lounge and meeting rooms on the ground floor and family swimming pool for the whole family to enjoy. So we got room #114 for three nights and woke up to the beautiful sunrise beyond our window curtains. Our room had the big flat screen TV, refrigerator, wireless internet, sleep number queen bed, room service and just a one minute walk or ride upstairs to the restaurant/lounge area. What a gold mine, we never wanted to leave!
I lived most my life in SD, spent 26 years in California, and have been in the major big cities but my wife and I just fell in love with Duluth having never been there before. I was born in Minnesota but I never knew there was this kind of beauty so close to where I live. We just love all the shops around Canal Park, the Aerial Lift Bridge, and all of Downtown Duluth with it's many sky walks. Staying in Duluth was like living next to the Pacific Ocean in Costa Mesa, Ca. again. Lake Superior is the largest fresh water lake in North America and is only several blocks away, just a short walk. How nice is that?
I promised my wife a return trip and in 2 & 1/2 weeks we'll be back there again. We owe us that 6 hr. train ride up to Two Harbors, MN we missed last time. And so if anybody out there that might be looking for something beautiful, different, and close by - try Duluth, Mn.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Upon booking this hotel I was very pleased to see I had "won" a Radisson as the name is generally synonymous with decent hotels. Upon checking in I asked the hotel staff for the location of something and I was told that they didn't live in the area so they had no idea where anything was.

My room was a disaster. The first thing I noticed was wallpaper peeling from the wall (see pic). The second thing was peeling paint and dirt behind the ac/heating fan in the corner by the window (see pic). Disgusting! And finally, I sat on one of the beds to consider just leaving Duluth entirely (even after driving for 9 hours to get there) and the bed gave out as one leg was missing nearly throwing me to the floor.
DO NOT GO TO THIS HOTEL, EVER!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Melissa R, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth-Harborview, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Please reach out to any of our employees directly should you have any concerns during or after your next stay.

Muncie, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

This was our third stay at the Radisson Duluth. The other two stays were great; clean, comfortable rooms. This time was very different. We found our room to be unclean. Stains on the sheets, hair in the bathroom, rusted drain in the tub... We asked for a different room. The second room was very musty, the wallpaper was peeled back off the wall and the carpet clearly not vacuumed. Not much of an improvement. Very disappointed!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Melissa R, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth-Harborview, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

after seeing a few reviews I did not know what to expect. We found it very clean, staff very nice and had a nice night of sleep. It was a bit dated with 70s style lobby but it was clean and presentable. If there was any negative it would be the sleep number bed, one side did not work but didn't seem to bother my sleep.

Room Tip: go to the moving restaurant for breakfast for a breathtaking view while eatting a great breakfast
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Mankato, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We have stayed in this hotel a number of times over the years and have been very pleased. However, our stay last weekend was not of the same caliber. The rooms were filthy dirty, with stains on the carpets in the hallway and the rooms, and the drapes were tattered and torn. We had 2 rooms booked and neither room had enough towels. When we went to the pool, there were no pool towels, and we had to ask twice before getting any. This hotel needs major renovations, including adding a frig and microwave to each room. Our room also just had double beds in them, instead of queen beds. We noticed several guests complaining about the same issues to the front desk so I know we were not alone in our thoughts of this hotel. However, the restaurant was very busy and the food was great.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room overlooking the harbor, and the higher up, the better.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Midland, Michigan, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

The couple in front of me was checking out; they shared with front-desk that their wasn't enough water coming out of their showerhead to take a shower. In my room, there was a carpet stain the size of a dinner plate, and carpet burns the size of a quarter. A/c didn't work. Paid extra for sleep # bed, but controller didn't work. Got in late, no where to park. Elevator/hallways of grungy carpet. Mildew in bath ceiling. Shower curtain missing hooks; falls sloppily. Window had long-standing broken seal. I shared feedback with front desk that the hotel manager was asleep at the helm. Apparently there is no manager and the hotel is in the process of being sold. Upon my feedback, I received a discount on the room rate.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
We apologize you were not satisfied with the condition of the hotel during your stay. We appreciate you taking the time share your experience. Your comments are valued, and your suggestions will be used to consider improvements in the future. To discuss your stay further, please contact the hotel directly at (218)727-8981.

Melissa Ratai

Been to Radisson Hotel Duluth-Harborview? Share your experiences!