“Great Service & Incredible Dining in a Vintage Duluth Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Summer Savings of 20%
Ranked #29 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Manahawkin, New Jersey
“Great Service & Incredible Dining in a Vintage Duluth Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

My friend and I opted for a quick overnight getaway, and chose Duluth because we wanted to explore the old city and dine at the upper Midwest’s last revolving restaurant open to the public. JJ Astor sits on the top floor of the Radisson Hotel in Downtown Duluth, and offers an incredible dining experience. The hotel itself is a unique circular design, which assures no one of a long walk down an endless hallway. The hotel is 16 stories (or 15 if you omit the non-existent 13th floor) and features 200+ guest rooms.

Opened in 1970 as a Radisson, it’s one of the longest continuously operating hotels in the city, under one namesake. From reading other reviews, clearly, if you desire a brand new all-suite hotel, then you shouldn’t be staying at the Radisson – then again, no where do they claim to be new and all-suite. You will find well appointed and comfortable guest rooms that are clean with modern amenities. The rooms are smaller, typical of the time period when the hotel was constructed. However, you’ll find modern features such as an HD TV and free Wi-Fi. The Internet connection was fast and easy to connect. We didn’t watch TV. Complaints by other reviewers about noise concerned me, but it was not an issue at all. Our room was on the 15th floor, the highest for all guest rooms. The location is convenient to downtown attractions, and you can certainly walk to the touristy areas if you choose. If you’re looking for comfortable accommodations in a full-service hotel (they have a pool and hot tub too), you won’t be disappointed. We dined for dinner Saturday evening and breakfast on Sunday morning. Dinner was remarkable at JJ Astor, and breakfast was great too!

If I had any suggestions, it would be for the ownership to immediately paint the parking garage – it’s definitely an eyesore, and long overdue for paint. I’m guessing it’s managed by a 3rd party, but it should still look fresh. It’s free, so I can’t really knock off a star for the hotel. Because the hotel is older, don’t expect to pack too many people with luggage in the elevators. We reserved online through the Radisson website which assured us a great rate and fair policies for the reservation. All the staff we encountered in the restaurant, at the front desk as well as by phone/email were very polite and friendly.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Houghton, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

My family and I recently stayed at the Duluth Radisson, we were int he tower - request a harbor view. A real '70s vibe to the room, clean but the bathroom was a bit run down. Staff throught were nice and helpful, had drinks and desert in the restaurant and breakfast in the morning. Evening service very slow, morning was excellent, food was very good too, the view of the lake and town was very nice.

We'll be back!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Pequot Lakes, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

We booked using priceline and felt we got a reasonable price. Found it to be be outdated and quite loud. Every time someone flushed a toilet, ran water, took a shower, we could hear it. Tried the restaurant. Like the view but the service was very slow. We were offered a free shuttle to see some nightlife and that sounded like a great idea. Gave the guy a $20 tip, and he said as long as we called before midnight, he would come get us. Starting at 11:30, we called and called (estimate 5-6 times) and got no answer (even though it was the front desk). So here we are stuck on the other side of town waiting for a cab that we had to pay for. If we would have known that was how they worked things we would have gone somewhere we could walk home. Won't stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I wrote a very brief review prior to our stay here to caution about the purported extra charges for a lakeview room and I'm happy to report that I'm increasing my rating. Upon arrival, I requested a lakeview room and was provided one at no extra charge - a free upgrade because I'm a Carlson Club member. The lobby was funky with a very retro vibe - very comfortable and attractive. Front desk staff were very pleasant and helpful. Our room had a great view of the harbour. After we got settled in, the front desk actually called the room to inquire if everything was satisfactory - a nice touch. The room was nice and clean. However, to me it felt a little damp in the room - I noticed that there's no fan in the bathroom and the humidity causes the windows to fog after a shower. In order to get some fresh air I opened a window, but found that the street noise (even on the 11th floor) was a bit too loud for sleeping. The A/C sounds like a supersonic jet taking off. We all found the sleep number beds to be fairly uncomfortable - I've slept in these beds before and really find them to be nothing more than slightly glorified air mattresses - I wish the Radisson chain would ditch them. The pool deck was nice and clean - I spent some time on the lounge chairs reading while my children swam - they say the pool was good but that it could have been cleaner and that the hot tub felt like it had a bit too much chlorine in it. The revolving restaurant on the top floor was a wonderful treat - fantastic views, great food and very engaging staff - the jazz band on Saturday night was awesome. There is ample free parking, plus the hotel has a free shuttle service that will take you anywhere within a 5-mile radius - we used it several times during our stay. If you don't want to use the shuttle, there are good restaurants and shopping within walking distance - you can even take the indoor skywalk from the hotel. Overall, this is a pretty good hotel with a few drawbacks (the beds and the humidity). The staff is really friendly. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Room Tip: Get a lakeview room on the 10th floor or higher and take advantage of the free shuttle service!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Fargo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Great rates and excellent room. We were in a large group and the hotel worked with us and made our trip effortless. They went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable. Many of us arrived on different days or times and they made sure to keep up all in rooms close together

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Glenwood, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

My family and I have stayed at the Radisson - Harborview hotel twice in the past two years. Both times we were able to get this hotel through Priceline. The only thing I have ever had to complain about was the parking situation, and that was a pretty small detail...all things considered. The rooms have always been above average, and the last time we were there our kids didn't ever want to leave the pool. For a family vacation experience the Radisson gets high marks from us. It met every need we had and the staff seemed very friendly. We would come back and stay again!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Minneapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

To be honest, I stayed here when I pricelined a hotel in Duluth. I was happy that I got a Radisson and I've been happy with other locations but was disappointed once I got to my room. The lobby was updated but the room was stuck in the late 80's. I will say that the room was clean. Some of the rooms have sleep number beds but I'm thinking they are the base model so I didn't sleep well as I felt I was camping on an air mattress. The shower had very little water pressure so my shower time doubled. Knowing a room can run a person $100+/night, I would look at other options.

Room Tip: Skip the sleep number beds. Feels like you're sleeping on an air mattress.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Radisson Hotel Duluth-Harborview? Share your experiences!