“Just OK” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 33 Hotels in Duluth
Finlayson, Minnesota, United States
“Just OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

Stayed one night at the end of October; family wedding was held in the hotel. First problem was check-in at 3 p.m.; the wedding was at 3:30 & only one clerk at the desk. To be fair, I didn't ask about an early check-in; got checked in & to the wedding on time. Room was beautiful; my room was in what looks like an addition to the "tower" portion of the hotel. Maybe the rooms/furnishings are newer. Full-length mirrors, refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker. The ice bucket leaked though. Elevators seemed very slow while waiting for them but once in, seemed OK. Don't like to be knocked to the floor during take-off & landing anyway. Sleep Number bed was very comfortable; the side I slept on worked fine but didn't try the other side. Several in our group complained that their beds couldn't be adjusted--including the bride & groom who even asked to have it repaired & it was not. Got a discounted price due to block of rooms reserved for wedding guests; if I had to pay full price I doubt I would stay there. Ate breakfast at the JJ Astor restaurant at the top of the hotel; great food & excellent service but it was very early on a Sunday morning. BEWARE--parking lot is very small so if you plan to park there, have an alternate lot in mind just in case.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

I got a very good price on this place from Priceline. Then I read the reviews and was nervous. Shouldn't have done that. Because I wasn't expecting much, I wasn't that disappointed. The lobby looks very contemporary and cool and the front desk staff person was very nice, giving us some free drink vouchers since it was my husband's birthday. We enjoyed some free drinks in the top level moving lounge. Our room was in the offshoot of the round area, so it was square and basically just a normal room. The room smelled a bit musty, the carpet was very stained, and the the TV was a joke. We haven't had a TV like that since the 90s. I did appreciate the fridge and microwave in the room. The shower was a little iffy but not like some hotels, where I've opted not to shower since there was a possibility I could get dirtier in there. The doors do not seem to block out any noise, as I walked by a room and overheard a loud couple enjoying themselves which made the whole experience seem a bit seedy to me. The sleep number bed basically seemed like a glorified air mattress and the seam in the middle made it so my husband and I had to stay on our own sides, but I slept ok. At least the pillows were soft. I do wish that I would have sprung for a nicer room since we were just going out of town to enjoy Duluth for my husband's birthday. We may have just hung out in the room longer if it was nicer, but instead we pretty much just slept there. Next time I will make sure to stick to 3 1/2 stars in Duluth for priceline (this came up under 3 stars).

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Shawna C, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth-Harborview, responded to this review, November 17, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor. Our hotel lobby and restaurant were renovated in 2010. Our fitness center is currently being renovated and we are in the beginning stages of renovating our guest rooms.

Again, thank you for taking the effort to share your thoughts with us. Good or bad, guest feedback is invaluable and is the only way we know if we are doing things right or how we can improve. We value you as a guest and I do want you to know your concerns are our concerns! Please stay with us again soon so we can demonstrate our commitment to your comfort!
waseca
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

Me and my husband were going to stay there for a night for our anv. we got a call and said our kids were sick and in the hospital. We cant out money back from priceline because they said at the radisson that we stayed there which we did not. I guess next time we will check out of the room before we go and tend to our sick kids. I'll make sure that no one in my family will stay at this hotel. And besides who has a big mirror in the bathroom my husband was a little freaked out by this. Worse place ever. Stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Dont stay at this hotel. The rooms were really small and cramped.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Backus, Minnesota, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

We booked hotel for our wedding anniversary and asked if we could get early check-in since we are Gold-Elite customers and that is one of our perks. Hotel said that should not be a problem to call them morning of to make sure. We called morining of and were told they should have a room available for early check in so we drove three hours, arrived in town and called to let them know we were arriving and were told that it would be another one-two hours before a room was ready. We drove around town with our dog, then sat in car for awhile to pass time. We called after couple hours and were told it would be another hour or two, so we decided to go to hotel and sit in lobby until a room was ready. When we arrived in lobby around 11:00 am and were told a room would not be ready until about 3:00 pm. We said we had no where to go until then and they just said sorry with a don't care attitude. I told them that if we knew this would be the case we wouldn't have come so early. The clerk just shrugged her shoulders. I asked her to please look up the phone number to the Comfort Inn & Suites North, Duluth so I can see if they have any rooms available. I got the number, called Comfort Inn and they said "absolutely, we can get a room cleaned asap for you and we will call your cell number to let you know when it is ready". So, we cancelled our room at Radisson, repacked our car up and the dog and headed towards the Comfort Inn. We stopped to grab a quick lunch to wait for the call for our room to be ready. Got the call shortly after we arrived at restaurant & room was ready. We arrived at Comfort Inn with very pleasant check in clerks, they gave us & our dog complimentary gifts and said they put us in the best room in their hotel. We got our room keys & were told if there is anything we need to just call the front desk. Our room was "beautiful!!!!" A king bed suite!! The room was huge! The cleanest hotel I have ever stayed at. Ten minutes after we had been in our room our room phone rang & it was the front desk making sure we liked our room. Awesome service. If anyone is looking for a "VERY CLEAN" hotel with awesome service, go to the Comfort Inn & Suites North in Duluth.
Oh ya, and the price list on our room door said our room was $329.00 a night, which was above and beyond what we were originally reserving a room for, and we were not charged for the extra exspense of the room.

Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Shawna C, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth-Harborview, responded to this review, November 12, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. The issues you had with checking in concerns me. If you have a moment and are willing to share any specifics it would greatly increase my ability to better assess and attempt to remedy these concerns. However, regardless of your response to my request I want to make sure that you feel your comments were heard.
Shawna Crawford
Manager of Guest Services
Radisson Duluth-Harborview
505 West Superior Street
Duluth, MN 55802
218-727-8981
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

This is my third time staying at the Radisson Duluth over the past 10 years or so. Everytime I stay there I am disappointed and ask myself, why did I expect it to be different this time? I guess the promise that it was remodeled brought me back again, as well as a good crowd cut deal but alas, I have wasted my money on this hotel for the last time.

The "remodel" is the equivalent of putting lipstick on a pig. Yes, there is some modern decor in the lobby now and the restaurant on the top floor is remodeled .... but it stops there. The rest of the hotel is dingy and old. Graffiti and the smell of smoke in the stairwells.

To give you an idea of what to expect if you decide to book this hotel, here are some highlights from our stay:

- "Park at your own risk" signs all over the parking lot. So inviting!
- The TV has horrible reception. I felt like we were back in the days of rabbit ears. We called the front desk for help and was told to "jiggle the cord in the back." It didn't help.
- The phone is one step up from a rotary phone. Come on, guys! There is no excuse for this.
- The restaurant at the top is stuffy and ridiculously overpriced. They are just way out of their league with the menu. Reminded me of a place that you would see on Restaurant Nightmares. I was half expecting to hear Gordon Ramsey yelling in the kitchen.
- Vending room where the ice machine is located made me feel like I was in a maximum security prison. Concrete walls, dirty, suspicious brown stains on the walls, smelly, strange noises...

Duluth Radisson... you have fooled me for the last time. I will not be back. My advice is to stay at the Sheraton. It is new, swanky, and the rooms are modern and comfortable.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
First, thank you for making the effort to share your thoughts. Good or bad, guest feedback is invaluable and is the only way we know if we are doing things right or how we can improve.

Our revolving rooftop restaurant(JJ Astor) and lobby were renovated just last summer. Our restaurant has four star ratings on opentable.com and is one of the top 5 restaurants in the Duluth area AND it's the only revolving restaurant left in the state of Minnesota, overlooking the entire city, with a spectacular view of Lake Superior.
We have recently hired a designer and are will be starting to renovate the guest rooms in the near future, which will include new flat screen tv's as well as new pillow top mattresses and furnishings.
The sign in the parking lot is dated. It was put there when the parking ramp was built to let guests know that we do not have video cameras or surveillance and not to leave valuables in their vehicle, as most parking ramps do. We will be putting up a new sign during renovations, that will read differently.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your stay with us. We value you as a guest and I do want you to know your concerns are our concerns! Please stay with us again soon so we can demonstrate our commitment to your comfort!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

We planned a mini-vacation with our kids over MEA weekend. On our second day there we were met by a man in the elevator with a HUGE roach he had caught in his bathroom and trapped in a lidded water glass. He said he turned on the light in his bathroom after returning to his room from dinner and THEY scattered. Needless to say we packed up and checked out immediately. I saw this roach---and I can't stress enough how huge it was. Overall, the actual guest rooms are tired and need refreshing as do the hallways (peeling wall paper, stained carpet, musty smell). **Do not let the snazzy lobby fool you--don't stay here.

Room Tip: Choose to spend your money wisely and stay some place else.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Shawna C, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Duluth-Harborview, responded to this review, November 1, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. Good or bad, guest feedback is invaluable and is the only way we know if we are doing things right or how we can improve.
It is true, our lobby and restaurant are pretty "snazzy", they were renovated in the summer of 2010. Unfortunately, renovations take time and planning. Sometimes a few obstacles can get in the way, which then takes more time. We have recently hired a designer and are currently in the process of renovating our guest rooms and hope to have them completed by summer of 2012.
Our hotel, as well as several other businesses in the downtown area are on the underground steamline. These pests love damp heat and follow the steam. Our hotel maintains regular scheduled pest control, unfortunately due to the underground steam, one sneaks through on occasion. I understand how big and frightening they can be. I'm very sorry that you had to see the one you did. It is a very rare thing seen at the Radisson.
Thunder Bay
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

We stayed in July and had a wonderful room and a great rate....this time, the rate was higher and the carpet was disgustingly filthy! It looked like it had never been cleaned!!! There were water stains on the ceiling, above the TV as well. I know this was the rear section of the building, but that should not warrant the price/value.

Room Tip: Ask to have a look at the rooms!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family